PDA

View Full Version : Lead On Christian Soldiers

MadMan1978
08-09-2012, 08:00 AM
http://www.examiner.com/article/mississippi-church-refused-to-marry-couple-simply-because-they-were-black

I actually cannot beleive this happened

shrewsbury
08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
you're surprised that a church in the south refused to marry a black couple?

MadMan1978
08-09-2012, 09:02 AM
you're surprised that a church in the south refused to marry a black couple?
I do know I should not be, however, I am more applaud! and then I ask why arent you?

Really? Denying this couple because of race? Maybe this sleepy little town needs to come out of the 50's and join the rest of the free thinking world. These are the backwards narrows minds we have to still deal with ? Whats next denying woman or female child from being baptized? Is this what we call the good Christians?

shrewsbury
08-09-2012, 09:23 AM
who calls them good christians?
and there is a difference from not being surprised and not being appalled.

ensbergcollector
08-09-2012, 10:56 AM
we have already talked about this. obviously 90% or more of christians are appalled at this and would never condone this in a million years.

pghin08
08-09-2012, 11:13 AM
we have already talked about this. obviously 90% or more of christians are appalled at this and would never condone this in a million years.

Agreed. I don't know any good Christian who would ever think this was okay.

AUTaxMan
08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Reprehensible if true. Would like to hear the church's side of the story.

*censored*
08-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Considering this can still happen 50 years after the Civil Rights movement, no one should be concerned about their church being in any way required to marry gays.

cbuskstwar
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Looks like the church issued an apology for this, that tells me that in fact it was true and they are admitting guilt.

2012 and they are and will always be some sick sick bigits out there, lying in the weeds.

If I was part of that church, I would look elsewhere.

mrveggieman
08-09-2012, 11:55 AM
I want to know what type of legal action can this couple take against this church. Not only should somebody be fired, someone should be sued for breach of contract as well as for punitive damages.

AUTaxMan
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Looks like the church issued an apology for this, that tells me that in fact it was true and they are admitting guilt.

2012 and they are and will always be some sick sick bigits out there, lying in the weeds.

If I was part of that church, I would look elsewhere.

Agreed.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM

I agree, but I think the number is closer to 60% than 90%.

We're talking percentage of Christians overall, not just "good" Christians, right?

ensbergcollector
08-09-2012, 12:44 PM
I agree, but I think the number is closer to 60% than 90%.

We're talking percentage of Christians overall, not just "good" Christians, right?

i assure you 40% of the nation would not be in favor of this. are you joking?

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
i assure you 40% of the nation would not be in favor of this. are you joking?

I wasn't talking about the nation...are your eyes okay? I even asked to make sure what group we were talking about.

Or do you think the entire US is Christian?

ensbergcollector
08-09-2012, 12:53 PM
I wasn't talking about the nation...are your eyes okay? I even asked to make sure what group we were talking about.

Or do you think the entire US is Christian?

i read completely fine. my point was, not even 40% of the nation would be ok with that, much less 40% of christians. either way, you have got to be joking if you think 40% of christians would be ok with that.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 12:57 PM
i read completely fine. my point was, not even 40% of the nation would be ok with that, much less 40% of christians. either way, you have got to be joking if you think 40% of christians would be ok with that.

I said closer to 60 than 90. That could mean 62, 68, 74. You didn't read well at all. I didn't give an actual figure. You read that on your own, or rather, didn't quite read the whole post, or rather, just ignored what was written. Either way.

MadMan1978
08-09-2012, 01:00 PM
If this is still happening it still needs to be discussed!

I am glad to see you all condemn this action. Speaking out is the one way we rid ourselves of this type of racism . The last plaec I ever thought this would happen is a church.

ensbergcollector
08-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I said closer to 60 than 90. That could mean 62, 68, 74. You didn't read well at all. I didn't give an actual figure. You read that on your own, or rather, didn't quite read the whole post, or rather, just ignored what was written. Either way.

oh my goodness. can you reply to me at all without trying to insult my intelligence? half your responses to me involve telling me i didn't read your post closely, well enough, i'm a slow thinker, etc. you were trying to make a point and once i pointed out how ridiculous is was you are nit-picking my intelligence. is it just because I am a christian that you feel the need to insult and talk down to me?

so to help you out, sorry, you said closer to 60. not exactly 60. i still think you are out of your mind and simply trying to bash christians by claiming a large percentage would be fine excluding blacks from getting married in their church.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 01:12 PM
oh my goodness. can you reply to me at all without trying to insult my intelligence? half your responses to me involve telling me i didn't read your post closely, well enough, i'm a slow thinker, etc. you were trying to make a point and once i pointed out how ridiculous is was you are nit-picking my intelligence. is it just because I am a christian that you feel the need to insult and talk down to me?
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!

First, I didn't insult your intelligence. I said you didn't read the post, as you obviously didn't read that one (or else you'd know I didn't insult you.
As for "talking down to you" that is not my intention. I'm simply sick and tired of you, and others, obviously not reading or misreading my posts, usually on purpose to further some point about something I never actually said, like you telling me I insulted your intelligence. I did no such thing, but you decided to sayI did. THAT is insulting.

so to help you out, sorry, you said closer to 60. not exactly 60. i still think you are out of your mind and simply trying to bash christians by claiming a large percentage would be fine excluding blacks from getting married in their church.

1 - I may not be a member of any church, but that doesn't mean I'm not Christian. Please sell that crap elsewhere.
2 - Yes I think a large segment of Christians are racist. I also think a large segment of EVERY RELIGION is racist. i think a large segment of the general population is racist. I think a very small segment admits it, but that's a different story.
3 - First you rag on me for insulting your intelligence when I did no such thing, then you tell me I'm "out of my mind". Nice.

ensbergcollector
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
wick - you have obviously not understood what I was referring to. if you will, go back and read posts 12-14. instead of clarifying or anything else, you went straight to insult. "are you eyes ok?" really, that is how you talk when you are wanting an actual dialogue? If this was the first thread you had done this on, i wouldn't have an issue. However, you have made it a habit when responding to me, to be as condescending as you can be. If you can honestly read your response to me and claim that it wasn't insulting and condescending then i guess we have other issues.

as for the second part: I thought I had read on another thread that you were an atheist. I obviously got you mistaken with someone else so for that oversight I apologize. Obviously we will agree to disagree on how large a percentage of christians are racist.

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 01:43 PM
wick - you have obviously not understood what I was referring to. if you will, go back and read posts 12-14. instead of clarifying or anything else, you went straight to insult. "are you eyes ok?" really, that is how you talk when you are wanting an actual dialogue?
I didn't want to start off accusing you of not reading, though I knew that was likely the issue, so I went with a possible medical reason for your not reading what I wrote. I don't see how that's an insult. Had I started with what I believe to be the real issue, you'd be screaming about me making accusations. Read my posts and respond to what's written instead of some roundabout interpretation you make up to make me sound stupid. Or is that what you do when you want actual dialogue? Because that's actually worse. You see, you continue the conversation on the basis that something has been said when it hasn't. The real insult is people who do that. They're not listening, they distract from the point and they do it in a very self-righteous way.

If this was the first thread you had done this on, i wouldn't have an issue. However, you have made it a habit when responding to me, to be as condescending as you can be. If you can honestly read your response to me and claim that it wasn't insulting and condescending then i guess we have other issues.
If this was the first time you went off about something I didn't actually say, or if this was the first time you responded to one of my posts as if you'd only read a third of it, I wouldn't have an issue. If this was the first time you made a false accusation of me, I wouldn't have a post.

as for the second part: I thought I had read on another thread that you were an atheist. I obviously got you mistaken with someone else so for that oversight I apologize.
Quite obviously. I've always been quite open about my beliefs. I believe in God, I do not believe in religion. I believe Christ is worth listening to, I do not believe he was the son of God, rather, just one of those rare and special people who actually, and for whatever reason, understands God.
Apology accepted, we all make mistakes.

Obviously we will agree to disagree on how large a percentage of christians are racist.
To be clear, I'm not singling out Christians as being racist. Here I sort of am, but my feelings are that finding someone who doesn't act racist is very easy. Finding someone who is genuinely not racist is very hard. I don't even think I'm genuinely not racist. I look at blacks differently than whites. I look at Asians differently than both of those groups. I'd never treat them differently, but I see them differently. Not all racism is inherently bad, sometime, in fact most times, it's really quite benign.

mrveggieman
08-09-2012, 02:19 PM
I believe Christ is worth listening to, I do not believe he was the son of God, rather, just one of those rare and special people who actually, and for whatever reason, understands God.

Too bad there are not more politicians and preachers who actually understand him rather than just blasphamising his name.

boba
08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
If this is still happening it still needs to be discussed!

I am glad to see you all condemn this action. Speaking out is the one way we rid ourselves of this type of racism . The last plaec I ever thought this would happen is a church.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ

ensbergcollector
08-09-2012, 03:02 PM
I didn't want to start off accusing you of not reading, though I knew that was likely the issue, so I went with a possible medical reason for your not reading what I wrote. I don't see how that's an insult. Had I started with what I believe to be the real issue, you'd be screaming about me making accusations. Read my posts and respond to what's written instead of some roundabout interpretation you make up to make me sound stupid. Or is that what you do when you want actual dialogue? Because that's actually worse. You see, you continue the conversation on the basis that something has been said when it hasn't. The real insult is people who do that. They're not listening, they distract from the point and they do it in a very self-righteous way.

If this was the first time you went off about something I didn't actually say, or if this was the first time you responded to one of my posts as if you'd only read a third of it, I wouldn't have an issue. If this was the first time you made a false accusation of me, I wouldn't have a post.

Quite obviously. I've always been quite open about my beliefs. I believe in God, I do not believe in religion. I believe Christ is worth listening to, I do not believe he was the son of God, rather, just one of those rare and special people who actually, and for whatever reason, understands God.
Apology accepted, we all make mistakes.

To be clear, I'm not singling out Christians as being racist. Here I sort of am, but my feelings are that finding someone who doesn't act racist is very easy. Finding someone who is genuinely not racist is very hard. I don't even think I'm genuinely not racist. I look at blacks differently than whites. I look at Asians differently than both of those groups. I'd never treat them differently, but I see them differently. Not all racism is inherently bad, sometime, in fact most times, it's really quite benign.

i will make sure to reply to entire posts instead of parts from now on. i understand how that can lead to misunderstandings and tension. (no sarcasm intended, actually serious). If it appears i have taken you out of context or anything else, just give me a heads up and I will clarify my post.

MadMan1978
08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3cGfrExozQ
He makes a valid point but he knows as well as the rest of us here this isnt reality. The real reality to just stop talking about something doesnt make it go away!

Wickabee
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM
i will make sure to reply to entire posts instead of parts from now on. i understand how that can lead to misunderstandings and tension. (no sarcasm intended, actually serious). If it appears i have taken you out of context or anything else, just give me a heads up and I will clarify my post.

All I ask, I'll tone down the hotility. And trust me, this isn't something that is solely on you. It happens quite often around here.