PDA

View Full Version : Busted: Team Obama Caught in Blatant Lie About 'Cancer' Ad

mikesilvia
08-10-2012, 08:51 AM
The worst part? A major Obama fundraiser actually ran Bain capital the day the woman was laid off.
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2012/08/08/busted_team_obama_caught_lying_about_cancer_ad

shrewsbury
08-10-2012, 09:40 AM
where are the Obama supporters?

Star_Cards
08-10-2012, 10:07 AM
I can't really figure out the complete story from that article. It's all over the place and I can't watch the ad at work. I guess that's another reason why SuperPacs are very shady. Even if the candidate endorses what they do behind the scenes there's no real public endorsement like other ads. As for the ad, if they are stretching the truth or simply lying to try to show some sort of issue with Romney it would be disappointing of the administration indeed. With a superpac, a politician always has deniability and that's where the major issue comes in for me.

AUTaxMan
08-10-2012, 10:08 AM
where are the Obama supporters?

They don't care.

AUTaxMan
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I can't really figure out the complete story from that article. It's all over the place and I can't watch the ad at work. I guess that's another reason why SuperPacs are very shady. Even if the candidate endorses what they do behind the scenes there's no real public endorsement like other ads. As for the ad, if they are stretching the truth or simply lying to try to show some sort of issue with Romney it would be disappointing of the administration indeed. With a superpac, a politician always has deniability and that's where the major issue comes in for me.

I think it's been demonstrated to be an outright lie. Obama's people won't admonish it, though. They just act like they don't know anything about the false narrative, which has also been proven to be a lie.

Star_Cards
08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I'll have to get up to speed on the issue later.

I do tire of negative ads and especially ads that lie. In all honestly I personally see these type of ads as background noise. I don't use them to sway the way I vote. They are pretty much entertainment to me and I usually see them as exaggerated. However, I know that a lot of people don't treat them the same way as I do. I think any ad that is ran should be 100% endorsed by a candidate and the superPAC loophole needs to be closed. As for this specific ad, I'm not a fan of any candidate lying to make their opponent look bad and if the Obama administration knows it's not true and it's proven then I'd hope they'd come out against it.

Wickabee
08-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Is this the, "ROMNEY GAVE MY WIFE CANCER!!!" ad?

If it is, yeah it's stupid.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-10-2012, 07:26 PM
The Obama people were all over the sunday morning shows defending the out right blatant lie . Even the more liberal shows were saying they need to back off (kinda). This is Chicago politics at it's best . With the things in the ads Obama team has put up that Romney has been accused of he should be in prison already. To bad the only way Obama has a chance at winning is by following the Saul Alinsky rules for radicals .

mikesilvia
08-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Even MSNBC thinks it's shady. Funny watching one of Obama's campaign guys squirm.

http://youtu.be/QiEr7D3OAjU

mikesilvia
08-10-2012, 09:00 PM
In an interview with Democracy Now, Soptic admits he was offered a buyout by Bain, something he has failed to mention until now.

http://youtu.be/QEL-3Zpa-Bg

mikesilvia
08-10-2012, 09:02 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/07/19/Obama-bundler-Bain-Capital

The Obama campaign has been blaming Mitt Romney for the failure of the GST Steel Company in 2001, conveniently ignoring the fact that Mitt Romney left Bain Capital, which had taken over GST, in 1999. This in itself is a dishonest attack, which will surprise no one, but it gets even more egregious when coupled with this salient fact: one of Barack Obama’s top bundlers, Jonathan Lavine, managing director at Bain, who has bundled between $100,000 and $200,000 in contributions for the 2012 Obama Victory Fund, was one of the guys running Bain when GST went belly-up.

Wickabee
08-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm not convinced he actually left.

mikesilvia
08-11-2012, 01:29 PM
http://factcheck.org/2012/08/is-romney-to-blame-for-cancer-death/

We find this ad from Priorities USA Action to be misleading on several counts.

Steelworker Joe Soptic’s wife, Ranae, died in 2006 — five years after the plant closed.
She didn’t lose coverage when the plant closed. Mr. Soptic told CNN that she lost her own employer-sponsored coverage a year or two later. She had no coverage after that.
And as we’ve reported before, when the plant closed Romney was running the 2002 Winter Olympics.

As we have written repeatedly in the past, Romney left day-to-day operations at Bain Capital in early 1999 to head up the Salt Lake City Organizing Committee, and we have criticized the Obama campaign for blaming Romney for the offshoring of jobs by Bain-controlled companies after that time. But this case is a little different. Although the steel company declared bankruptcy in 2001, the debt was incurred at GS Industries under Romney’s leadership.

Wickabee
08-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Left day to day operations. Did he leave the company altogether though
Also if he retroactively retired what does that mean, exactly.

mikesilvia
08-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Left day to day operations. Did he leave the company altogether though Also if he retroactively retired what does that mean, exactly.

It means he didn't make the decisions. I'm sure he still had some equity stake and involvement. But it's like saying Obama is responsibly for the secret service in Columbia. I also wouldn't blame Obama for Fast and Furious unless there is proof that he knew about things and directly acted.

Regardless, Factcheck.org clearly states:

Steelworker Joe Soptic’s wife, Ranae, died in 2006 — five years after the plant closed.
She didn’t lose coverage when the plant closed. Mr. Soptic told CNN that she lost her own employer-sponsored coverage a year or two later. She had no coverage after that.
And as we’ve reported before, when the plant closed Romney was running the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Wickabee
08-11-2012, 01:49 PM
It means he didn't make the decisions. I'm sure he still had some equity stake and involvement. But it's like saying Obama is responsibly for the secret service in Columbia. I also wouldn't blame Obama for Fast and Furious unless there is proof that he knew about things and directly acted.
How does one retroactively retire? I don't understand the concept. Either you were there, or you were retired.

Regardless, Factcheck.org clearly states:

I'm not arguing any of that, why did you repeat it?

mikesilvia
08-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm not arguing any of that, why did you repeat it?

Because you seem to be fixated on if Romney was there or not and not on this Obama ad being bogus.

It really doesn't matter if Romney was there or not. This women died of cancer 5 years after the plant closed or 7 years after Romney handed over day to day operations. The women also had coverage for 1-2 years AFTER he husband lost his job. Her getting cancer or dying of it had more to do with her genes or lifestyle choice and nothing to do with Romney.