PDA

View Full Version : Why do people thank god for every single thing?

JustAlex
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I've never understood this from theists.

They thank god for almost every single thing!....I'm not making fun, I promise!

I just don't get it.....I understand thanking god for good health or for family and friends and things like that.

But.... thank god that I found my car keys?

Or

Thank god you got an "A" on your test? (did God help you during the test?.....isn't that cheating?)

And, I don't mean to be a jerk when I say this but, I don't really like it when people say Thank god the surgery went well.....Um....why not thank the Doctors FIRST, they're the ones who did the work, they're the ones who saved your life.

BTW, when the surgery doesn't go well, who do people blame?......God?.....I don't think so.....it's the Doctors who get the blame.

I know this topic is a little out there, but it's something I've always wanted to discuss with theists.

Wickabee
08-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Well rhe answer to your first question is that it's become a common colloquialism. So has "Oh my god!"
The answer to your second question is that, fod believers of God, without him, they wouldn't have been alive to get sick to need surgery and without him, neither would the surgeon have been there to save him. It may be difficult to wrap your head around, but with you background in Christianity I think you'll understand to some degree.
To your last point, how many times, when someone passes suddenly, do you hear, "I just don't believe in God anymore."?
It goes both ways. As much as he gets thanked, he gets blamed or outright denied.

JustAlex
08-11-2012, 12:56 AM
Well rhe answer to your first question is that it's become a common colloquialism. So has "Oh my god!"

Oh, of course, even I still say OMG, but there are some occasions where it's more than that, I've seen it. A person will do a little prayer thanking god for insignificant things, I just find it odd.

The answer to your second question is that, fod believers of God, without him, they wouldn't have been alive to get sick to need surgery and without him, neither would the surgeon have been there to save him. It may be difficult to wrap your head around, but with you background in Christianity I think you'll understand to some degree.

I just never fully understood it, I remember when my sister was in the hospital once and my mom kept praying nonstop, at the time I was also christian and I prayed as well.....to tell you the honest truth, I always found prayer as a way to make myself feel better, I rarely thought it was actually useful.

For example if I was sick (headache, flu, etc.) I would pray to feel better.....but I KNEW that if I didn't take medicine, nothing would happen, In the end I should be giving thanks to the medicine.

To your last point, how many times, when someone passes suddenly, do you hear, "I just don't believe in God anymore."?
It goes both ways. As much as he gets thanked, he gets blamed or outright denied.

Yeah, I've heard of that before, where a loved one dies and the the grief stricken family no longer wants to believe in god, I guess in that case it can go both ways.

Responses in bold

Wickabee
08-11-2012, 01:09 AM
1 - I've never seen that. Must be a US thing
2 - That's all I see prayer as too, but what's the harm? Plus, that just means you see things differently than they do.
3 - I find most things do.

indexed
08-11-2012, 01:36 AM
Two reasons:

1. They really just want to thank god

2. They have a guilty feeling over something. By thanking god somehow it that means helped them accomplish whatever it was they are thanking him for. In that sense god wouldnt be helping someone out that didn't deserve it, right? Guilty feeling gone poof.

ALADOG
08-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I've never understood this from theists.

They thank god for almost every single thing!....I'm not making fun, I promise!

I just don't get it.....I understand thanking god for good health or for family and friends and things like that.

But.... thank god that I found my car keys?

Or

Thank god you got an "A" on your test? (did God help you during the test?.....isn't that cheating?)

And, I don't mean to be a jerk when I say this but, I don't really like it when people say Thank god the surgery went well.....Um....why not thank the Doctors FIRST, they're the ones who did the work, they're the ones who saved your life.

BTW, when the surgery doesn't go well, who do people blame?......God?.....I don't think so.....it's the Doctors who get the blame.

I know this topic is a little out there, but it's something I've always wanted to discuss with theists.

Why must we have these condesending posts about religion. You didn't want an answer, you wanted to belittle Christians.

Bracing for the unfounded liberal backlash.

Wickabee
08-11-2012, 12:28 PM
Why must we have these condesending posts about religion. You didn't want an answer, you wanted to belittle Christians.

I see no belittling of Christians.

Jazzer540
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I say It's always good to be thankful everyday for everything! Even being thankful when crap happens (which obviously is hard to do).. but no matter WHO you thank- just to have a thankful heart is good practice which leads to a peaceful and joyous life!!!

MadMan1978
08-11-2012, 02:58 PM
it is all faith

and i come from the mind set of my 12 step program. I am a Taoist. I do not superscribe to any western religion and there teachings. I was bapisted Catholic and went to Protestant Sunday school and Sunday Service. However, I do not agree with what they preach. To thisw ay we have a good family friend who is a Protestant minister. I have had a number of chats, short and long on the subject. AS well I have this book Name "Came to Believe" in my program.

With all that I just believe it is a matter of Faith. It is taught for generation to generation to have a belief in "God" as it has been termed.

INTIMADATOR2007
08-11-2012, 05:18 PM
Thank God Romney/Ryan is gonna send Obama/Biden packing .

JustAlex
08-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Thank God Romney/Ryan is gonna send Obama/Biden packing .
Haha.....I don't agree but this comment was pretty funny!

ensbergcollector
08-11-2012, 05:32 PM
thanking God for little stuff like car keys and the like is the same as using the word love for things like ice cream and colors.

as for the surgery comment, first of all there are plenty of people who do place the blame on God if a surgery goes poorly. And I don't know of anyone who has thanked God for a successful surgery that have not also thanked the doctor.

Star_Cards
08-13-2012, 11:32 AM

I don't think it's belittling. I don't understand it myself, but I don't understand religion in general as far as actually believing any of them. I don;t have an issue with people thanking god in a public forum. I just don't understand it.

joee5
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I thank God every morning I wake up

mrveggieman
08-13-2012, 11:57 AM
I am thankful to God for my family, health, education, job, and everything else that I have in life. I know that it wouldn't have been possible on my own.