PDA

View Full Version : investors come in, looking for a little advice

superpieman
08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Hi guys, I am looking for a little advice on investing and/or growing some money. I just graduated college and im moving out on my own for the first time, and I have around 1000-1500 im looking to make grow. Im not sure what the best investment would be because ive never invested before, or what the best course of action would be for that money. The most important thing to me is that I am able to withdraw the money at anytime if a scenario arises where I need it, so a 6 month or year cd is not an option. basically im just looking for any suggestions or advice.

I should ad that im not expecting to get rich of 1500 bucks or to make money fast. I just want something that will grow it a little faster then the .025 percent interest or whatever savings accounts get.

shrewsbury
08-11-2012, 10:54 AM
investment can be very tricky and I suggest you do some serious research before you invest in anything. If you have any debt, I would repay this back first. You will rarely get a return in investment that is high as the percentage you are paying on any type f debt.
In this market there is not much to invest with short a short time frame. A money market account provides little return, and the same goes for savings accounts.

Precious metals are high right now but many believe they will rise, though this is an asset that is easy to liquidate, if the prices drop you will lose out.

If you do not already have a 6 month reserve for living, I would suggest putting the money into a basic savings account for this purpose. It will not grow but if you fall on hard times it will come in handy.

superpieman
08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
investment can be very tricky and I suggest you do some serious research before you invest in anything. If you have any debt, I would repay this back first. You will rarely get a return in investment that is high as the percentage you are paying on any type f debt.
In this market there is not much to invest with short a short time frame. A money market account provides little return, and the same goes for savings accounts.

Precious metals are high right now but many believe they will rise, though this is an asset that is easy to liquidate, if the prices drop you will lose out.

If you do not already have a 6 month reserve for living, I would suggest putting the money into a basic savings account for this purpose. It will not grow but if you fall on hard times it will come in handy.

ive got student loans but there is no way ill be able to pay those off first they are to much. I have a little set aside to be able to live for a few months, this is just some extra money im looking to invest. I was thinking gold but it makes me nervous. I dont know much about precious metals but as high as the price of gold is I wonder if it will keep going up.

Good Ole Jim
08-11-2012, 12:10 PM
What agent are you investing through? I use OptionsHouse to invest. I believe it's only $3.50/trade.

As far as who to invest with, you always have your for sure options like Microsoft, Google, etc. I'm an investor in Microsoft and Google. The entire market has been bouncing around, but Microsoft and Google are set to have a pretty big year with tablets and the release of Windows 8. It's a timely process though. Best advice I can give is to not expect to make money over night. haha.

superpieman
08-11-2012, 03:05 PM
What agent are you investing through? I use OptionsHouse to invest. I believe it's only $3.50/trade.

As far as who to invest with, you always have your for sure options like Microsoft, Google, etc. I'm an investor in Microsoft and Google. The entire market has been bouncing around, but Microsoft and Google are set to have a pretty big year with tablets and the release of Windows 8. It's a timely process though. Best advice I can give is to not expect to make money over night. haha.

i havnt got that far yet. im just going through my options right now and trying to figure out whats best. do you like optionshouse?

Good Ole Jim
08-11-2012, 06:53 PM
i havnt got that far yet. im just going through my options right now and trying to figure out whats best. do you like optionshouse?

I like it a lot. They have a really nice mobile app that allows for easy trading on the go if you really want to. The best bet right now is to just sit on stock though. Stocks aren't raising enough each day for effective day trades.