PDA

View Full Version : CNN & Time magazine suspend Fareed Zakaria for plagiarism

pwaldo
08-12-2012, 06:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/time-cnn-suspend-fareed-zakaria-plagiarism-223201250--finance.html

CNN host and Time magazine contributing editor-at-large Fareed Zakaria was suspended by his employers on Friday after he acknowledged copying material for a recent column he wrote about gun control from another writer.

Time said it was suspending Zakaria for one month, "pending further review," and CNN said it had also suspended him for his journalistic misstep. CNN put no time limit on its suspension.

The sanctions came after Zakaria issued a public apology for borrowing from a recent New Yorker essay about gun control for a column he wrote for Time this week.

"Media reporters have pointed out that paragraphs in my Time column this week bear close similarities to paragraphs in Jill Lepore's essay in the April 23rd issue of the New Yorker. They are right. I made a terrible mistake," Zakaria wrote in his apology.

"It is a serious lapse and one that is entirely my fault."

Ali Zelenko, a spokesman for Time, said the magazine accepted Zakaria's apology but felt compelled to act against him because he had violated its standards for all columnists.

"Their work must not only be factual but original; their view must not only be their own but their words as well," Zelenko said.

CNN said its suspension of Zakaria was due to the fact that he wrote a blog post on CNN.com that was similar to his Time column and included "similar unattributed excerpts."

pghin08
08-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Shocks me. He's one of my favorite writers.

joee5
08-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I'm sure in one way or another, they all do it to a certain extent.

habsheaven
08-13-2012, 10:42 AM
I was shocked to hear this too. He's a very respected journalist. I have to think it wasn't something done blatantly but he owned up to it regardless and is taking responsibility for it.

AUTaxMan
08-13-2012, 11:31 AM
In the 24-hour news cycle with so many opinions circulating, I bet it's tough as a journalist not to be influenced by at least something you read. I can certainly see how some things could stick in your subconscious and end up on paper as your own. On the other hand, it is their profession, so slip-ups like this are unacceptable.

*censored*
08-13-2012, 11:51 AM
To steal from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

pwaldo
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/08/fareed-zakaria-accused-of-plagiarism-131678.html?hp=l1 <br />
<br />
Zakaria's column about gun laws for Time's August 20 issue includes a paragraph that is...

habsheaven
08-13-2012, 02:48 PM
That looks like they are both citing the same author and HIS same words in their articles to make a point. I wasn't aware that using the same sources is plagarism. I also heard that it was 2...

pwaldo
08-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Don't know anything outside of the article about the charges. Time has said it has violated their policy and Fareed already apologized for it to the original author so I guess it was plagiarism.

habsheaven
08-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I was speaking to the blatancy of it, not the argument that it was or wasn't plagarism.

pwaldo
08-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Washington Post pulls Zakaria column for August

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/08/wapo-pulls-zakaria-column-for-august-132050.html?hp=r10

pwaldo
08-27-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012/08/fareed-zakaria-resigns-from-yale-corp-132659.html?hp=r11

Zakaria resigns from Yale Corporation

The New Haven Register reports that Fareed Zakaria has resigned from the Yale Corporation, citing the need to focus “on the core of my work" following his recent admission of plagiarism.

“My service at Yale is the single largest commitment of time, energy, and attention outside of my writing and television work," Zakaria wrote in a letter to Yale President Richard Levin. "The work of the Yale Corporation needs and deserves such attention, but I simply do not have the capacity to do it and keep up with my main professional obligations."

In an interview with The New York Times, published Monday, Zakaria said the plagiarism scandal had "made me realize what is at the core of what I want to do."

“Other things will have to go away," he said. "There’s got to be some stripping down.”