PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska to force all public schools to set aside time for pledge of allegience

mrveggieman
08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
I smell a lawsuit coming...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/13/nebraska-set-to-require-p_n_1773223.html

pghin08
08-14-2012, 08:44 AM
That was the way it was when I was in school, I never had a problem with. What I do have a problem with is the guy who proposed that the kids who don't participate have to write a 50 word essay on what it means to be an American. To me, being an American means that you have the freedom to not recite the pledge of allegiance without incurring the wrath of others. Plus, what if it's a foreign exchange student or something?

theonedru
08-14-2012, 11:01 AM
they should all be fired for this, not for forcing someone to do it but for wasting taxpayers money on such a frivolous matter when it can be better spent.

mrveggieman
08-14-2012, 11:05 AM
they should all be fired for this, not for forcing someone to do it but for wasting taxpayers money on such a frivolous matter when it can be better spent.

This ^^^

11chaos
08-14-2012, 12:57 PM
WHAT? (Without reading the link, I don't follow blind links anymore. I only do that on Facebook.) Why should they be fired, because they want to set aside 2 minutes of the school day to take part in honoring the very country you reside in and hopefully cherish. You're right, they will all have to go out and buy PA systems to, oh wait they already have one. Oh wait, they'll have to pay someone to give them the right to recite this, oh wait they can get it off the internet for free. They will have to buy brown shirts to enforce the reading of the Mein Kampf, oh wait wrong country.

I've got a hat, it's pointy, it's yours for free.

mrveggieman
08-14-2012, 01:41 PM
WHAT? (Without reading the link, I don't follow blind links anymore. I only do that on Facebook.) Why should they be fired, because they want to set aside 2 minutes of the school day to take part in honoring the very country you reside in and hopefully cherish. You're right, they will all have to go out and buy PA systems to, oh wait they already have one. Oh wait, they'll have to pay someone to give them the right to recite this, oh wait they can get it off the internet for free. They will have to buy brown shirts to enforce the reading of the Mein Kampf, oh wait wrong country.

I've got a hat, it's pointy, it's yours for free.

Ha ha funny. I stand by what I said and agree with what theonedru said. It is completely pointless and a waste of time for the state to make a stink of this as is for the state to make anyone say the pledge. Now I can't speak for anyone else but God is my provider not the united states, it's gov't or military. Saluting the flag is neither going to help or hurt me or anyone else and it is just another pointless ritual. If someone needs to do something like that to motivate themselves to start their day I may suggest a moment of silence before the day. If not then don't waste my time with meaningless flag worship which is a violation of my religion because it prohibits worshiping idols.

JustAlex
08-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Here's what I would do:

sit in my chair and read a book or listen to my ipod (if they allowed it) or simply not do anything.

I'm not standing up and I'm not reciting something I don't believe in......and if anyone tells me anything, so help them they will feel my wrath!

AUTaxMan
08-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I thought everybody said the pledge in school. Growing up, we did every day. First thing in the morning.

mrveggieman
08-14-2012, 02:51 PM
I thought everybody said the pledge in school. Growing up, we did every day. First thing in the morning.

Yes we did back in the day just like our parents and grandparents all prayed before school. Then one days someone realized that these acts althought may have had good intentions were a violation of the 1st amendment and therefore illegal.

AUTaxMan
08-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Yes we did back in the day just like our parents and grandparents all prayed before school. Then one days someone realized that these acts althought may have had good intentions were a violation of the 1st amendment and therefore illegal.

How is the pledge a 1st amendment violation? I am certain that our federal courts have held that it is not.

Wickabee
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
How is the pledge a 1st amendment violation? I am certain that our federal courts have held that it is not.

Freedom of speech includes the freedom to stay silent. Growing up the kids in my school were supposed to sing the National Anthem every Monday morning. If one did not want to participate and had a valid reason (religion, etc) then they would leave the room for the duration of the song. I see nothing wrong with that or allowing them to sit quietly.

mrveggieman
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM

Someone could have made the claim that forcing someone to salute an object is akin to idolatry. If the state can force kids to salute an object what's to stop them from saluting any particular God. The gov't is treading on thin ice when trying to enact these type of policies which does absoluty nothing to educate our kids. They need to stop wasting time on this type of foolishness and teach our kids how to read and count.

theonedru
08-14-2012, 03:15 PM
Why should they be fired, because they want to set aside 2 minutes of the school day to take part in honoring the very country you reside in and hopefully cherish.

I said plain as day why they should be fired. Veggie is right we do need to teach people how to learn to read. Unless your just trying to goad someone......

AUTaxMan
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Someone could have made the claim that forcing someone to salute an object is akin to idolatry. If the state can force kids to salute an object what's to stop them from saluting any particular God. The gov't is treading on thin ice when trying to enact these type of policies which does absoluty nothing to educate our kids. They need to stop wasting time on this type of foolishness and teach our kids how to read and count.

I don't think they are forcing the kids to do anything. They are making the schools have a pledge time. The kids themselves don't have to participate, I don't believe.

cbuskstwar
08-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Whats your wrath? thats funny

Here's what I would do:

sit in my chair and read a book or listen to my ipod (if they allowed it) or simply not do anything.

I'm not standing up and I'm not reciting something I don't believe in......and if anyone tells me anything, so help them they will feel my wrath!

Star_Cards
08-14-2012, 03:21 PM
We said the pledge everyday when I was in school. I have no issue with kids saying the pledge, but like posted before, this isn't something that needs to have a state law written. It's completely frivolous and a waste of tax payer's money talking about the law, voting, and implementing it. Some people have messed up priorities.

Wickabee
08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
We said the pledge everyday when I was in school. I have no issue with kids saying the pledge, but like posted before, this isn't something that needs to have a state law written. It's completely frivolous and a waste of tax payer's money talking about the law, voting, and implementing it. Some people have messed up priorities.

Not to mention the cost of the appeals that will undoubtedly come along.

mrveggieman
08-14-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't think they are forcing the kids to do anything. They are making the schools have a pledge time. The kids themselves don't have to participate, I don't believe.

I do have a problem with this. It is completely and utterly useless not to mention a waste of taxpayer recources. I said the pledge as a child but can't remember the last time that I did so as an adult. My loyalties lie with God not a flag or a country. What is the purpose of this?

AUTaxMan
08-14-2012, 03:34 PM
I do have a problem with this. It is completely and utterly useless not to mention a waste of taxpayer recources. I said the pledge as a child but can't remember the last time that I did so as an adult. My loyalties lie with God not a flag or a country. What is the purpose of this?

how are taxpayer resources being wasted?

Wickabee
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM

It's been mentioned a couple of times already if you take the time to read the thread.

I notice you mostly ask questions you should already know the answers to. Is this a ploy or tactic, or am I wrong (I think you know what my money's on).

duwal
08-14-2012, 03:52 PM

I agree with that, I know I never did. I'd stand up and I know the words to it but would never say it

AUTaxMan
08-14-2012, 03:55 PM
It's been mentioned a couple of times already if you take the time to read the thread.

I notice you mostly ask questions you should already know the answers to. Is this a ploy or tactic, or am I wrong (I think you know what my money's on).

I was just seeking some clarification. I don't believe it is an in-class waste of state resources. Maybe it's a waste in terms of time spent going through the legislative process, maybe not.

Star_Cards
08-14-2012, 03:55 PM

I assumed that the board of education was a state funded organization. If that is true then their implementation of this mandate and the time they spent discussing it and planning it and debating it would have been a waste. I doubt it's that much of a waste, but really what does it matter if they set aside time for the pledge or not. It's rather trivial in my opinion.

AUTaxMan
08-14-2012, 03:58 PM
I assumed that the board of education was a state funded organization. If that is true then their implementation of this mandate and the time they spent discussing it and planning it and debating it would have been a waste. I doubt it's that much of a waste, but really what does it matter if they set aside time for the pledge or not. It's rather trivial in my opinion.

I agree. Acting like this is a major waste of taxpayer resources is a little over the top. No more of a waste than most of the other stuff public schools do.

JustAlex
08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
The Pledge is an OUTDATED, useless piece of Jingoistic propaganda that shouldn't be forced on any kids whatsoever.

I don't want to pledge my allegiance to a flag, not to a god I don't believe in, and not to a government which in my opinion is absolutely terrible.

I pledge allegiance to myself and my loved ones.

11chaos
08-15-2012, 01:58 AM
You do know that you can leave the US at any time, right? If you don't like it so much go live somewhere else, please.

The Pledge is an OUTDATED, useless piece of Jingoistic propaganda that shouldn't be forced on any kids whatsoever.

I don't want to pledge my allegiance to a flag, not to a god I don't believe in, and not to a government which in my opinion is absolutely terrible.

I pledge allegiance to myself and my loved ones.

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 02:42 AM
I agree. Acting like this is a major waste of taxpayer resources is a little over the top. No more of a waste than most of the other stuff public schools do.

So waste is fine as long as there's worse out there?

JustAlex
08-15-2012, 05:10 AM
You do know that you can leave the US at any time, right? If you don't like it so much go live somewhere else, please.
Is this the typical "if you don't love America you can GET OUT" response?

Really?

Are we still doing that?

There's plenty I don't like about this country but one thing that I do absolutely love is the fact I can say whatever I want about it.

mrveggieman
08-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Why should anyone leave the country because they have a different point of view? You my friend sound like you are the one who is against freedom of choice and religion and may want to consider leaving the country.

11chaos
08-15-2012, 08:58 AM
No I have plenty of room in my heart for people with different views. However people who are constantly bad mouthing and providing nothing positive but I Love the freedom of speech part are to me part of the problem not the solution. I have friends that are across the board in their political and social views. Do I hate them, No! Do I agree with them all the time, No. However we can discuss things without calling our country a Horrible place, among other things. It seems there is always a lot of people to whine, complain and all together be a drain on our country. North America (Canada and USA) are truly Great places to be. What I wish is that those that haven't left North America, Europe and most of western civilization get out and see conditions in other countries where your freedoms and way of life aren't a guaranteed thing. Maybe you'll come back with a different view or with ideas to help your local community. Personally, if someone isn't trying to make it better by volunteering, thru their job or some other way, I don't want to hear your rant. Trust me, I understand we are only typing away on the keyboard and not actually face to face where things might get heated. Which means a lot of people will act tougher/dumber sitting in the safety of their house, library, cafe or whereever they are typing away at. I am never sure if people who are so slanted in seeing things from one angle are trying to play people or are just that narrow minded.

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Mexico is in North America too.

11chaos
08-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Mexico is in North America too.

I didn't include it for a reason and aren't you Canadian?

Star_Cards
08-15-2012, 02:11 PM

I've never understood this comeback to people that complain about or simply think the US government is out of line. There's a big difference between hating the United States and being disenfranchised by the way the government runs things. People who voice their opinion about the shortcomings of the US government shouldn't be told to move elsewhere.

Blueliner19
08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
How sad that such a big deal is made on something most of us grew up doing, and never had a problem with.
Whats the expression..It only takes a few bad apples

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 02:17 PM
I didn't include it for a reason and aren't you Canadian?

What does my being Canadian have to do with anything?

11chaos
08-15-2012, 02:19 PM
No I have plenty of room in my heart for people with different views. However people who are constantly bad mouthing and providing nothing positive but I Love the freedom of speech part are to me part of the problem not the solution. I have friends that are across the board in their political and social views. Do I hate them, No! Do I agree with them all the time, No. However we can discuss things without calling our country a Horrible place, among other things. It seems there is always a lot of people to whine, complain and all together be a drain on our country. North America (Canada and USA) are truly Great places to be. What I wish is that those that haven't left North America, Europe and most of western civilization get out and see conditions in other countries where your freedoms and way of life aren't a guaranteed thing. Maybe you'll come back with a different view or with ideas to help your local community. Personally, if someone isn't trying to make it better by volunteering, thru their job or some other way, I don't want to hear your rant. Trust me, I understand we are only typing away on the keyboard and not actually face to face where things might get heated. Which means a lot of people will act tougher/dumber sitting in the safety of their house, library, cafe or whereever they are typing away at. I am never sure if people who are so slanted in seeing things from one angle are trying to play people or are just that narrow minded.

Read the above please

I've never understood this comeback to people that complain about or simply think the US government is out of line. There's a big difference between hating the United States and being disenfranchised by the way the government runs things. People who voice their opinion about the shortcomings of the US government shouldn't be told to move elsewhere.

11chaos
08-15-2012, 02:20 PM
What does my being Canadian have to do with anything?

Nothing I was just seeing how long that response to come.

Mexico for the most part is an extremly poor country with 3rd world conditions.

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Nothing I was just seeing how long that response to come.
Is that a sentence?

Mexico for the most part is an extremly poor country with 3rd world conditions.
I know what Mexico is, thanks.

11chaos
08-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Is that a sentence?

Sleep is overrated. I meant to type, Nothing I was just seeing how long it would take for your response.

And I figured you knew where Mexico is, Geographically it is North America but otherwise I think it's more Central America.

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
Sleep is overrated. I meant to type, Nothing I was just seeing how long it would take for your response.

And I figured you knew where Mexico is, Geographically it is North America but otherwise I think it's more Central America.

Ok, with that in mind, do you have as much of a problem with illegal Canadians as Mexicans?

habsheaven
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM

FWIW, I took the exclusion of Mexico to mean that you didn't want to group it in with Canada and the US because of the point you were trying to make. I never thought you excluded Mexico because you weren't aware that it was in North America.

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 03:14 PM
FWIW, I took the exclusion of Mexico to mean that you didn't want to group it in with Canada and the US because of the point you were trying to make. I never thought you excluded Mexico because you weren't aware that it was in North America.

Oh so did I. I think it speaks to how Americans see Mexico.

JustAlex
08-15-2012, 04:05 PM
I called our government terrible not the country itself.

And our government IS terrible, there's no doubt in my mind about that....our politicians put re-election and special interests as a priority instead of working together.

Our government spends more money than any other country on building a very powerful military that has caused so much damage in the Middle East but yet here at home we don't even have enough jobs for our citizens and our health care is an absolute joke.

Our government plays endless politics on just about every issue but don't ever expect to have any competent long term solutions.

Yes, for these and many other reasons I can mention is why I continue to be very critical of our government....as for the country itself, that's also not perfect but I don't have as much problems with it as our government.

Overall the average American is a decent, hard working person, unfortunately a loud minority makes us look very bad by doing terrible things, but I guess every country is like that.

Wickabee
08-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Criticizing ones country shows love for said country. Leaving it shows hate.