PDA

View Full Version : Al Sharpton: PA voter id ruling a slap in the face to democracy

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 07:28 AM
Let me start this one by showing Rev Al some love:

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-al-sharpton/pa-voter-id-ruling-a-slap_b_1784374.html?utm_hp_ref=politics (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-al-sharpton/pa-voter-id-ruling-a-slap_b_1784374.html?utm_hp_ref=politics)

shrewsbury
08-16-2012, 08:36 AM
really?

this is just ignorant, depressing democracy or making voting more legit?

this is really about covering up illegal voting and of course it has turned into conservatives being racist so people would be distracted from the truth once again.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
really?

this is just ignorant, depressing democracy or making voting more legit?

this is really about covering up illegal voting and of course it has turned into conservatives being racist so people would be distracted from the truth once again.

Funny thing about it is that I never heard a peep from any conservative about election fraud when gwb stole the 2000 election. Now all of a sudden we have a man of color in office and conservatives want to scream fraud. :rolleyes:

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I dont understand what is so hard about getting an I.D.

shrewsbury
08-16-2012, 09:00 AM
veggie, as usual you have now turned this to being about race.

the fact is liberals are taking advantage of the current rules on voting, not Obama, he can't vote for himself.

and when bush won, everyone was screaming fraud, but as usual your ears are deaf t anyone besides the liberals.

and the definition of being liberal would mean you should be for reform, but wait it is only reform that is anti conservative, oops, I forgot.

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Great point veggie, just use the race card.

How do these voters cash a check from thier job with out an I.D. or check out a book @ the library? You need an I.D. for several things, I just dont undrestand how someone over the age of 16 doesn't have the ability or doesn't need an I.D.

Funny thing about it is that I never heard a peep from any conservative about election fraud when gwb stole the 2000 election. Now all of a sudden we have a man of color in office and conservatives want to scream fraud. :rolleyes:

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 09:01 AM
I dont understand what is so hard about getting an I.D.

Getting an id cost money. Even if it only costs a penny it is still money. Having to pay for anything in order to vote is a poll tax which violates the 24th amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Great point veggie, just use the race card.

How do these voters cash a check from thier job with out an I.D. or check out a book @ the library? You need an I.D. for several things, I just dont undrestand how someone over the age of 16 doesn't have the ability or doesn't need an I.D.

Who in the hell cares how they cash their check or get a book from the library. None of those acts are guaranteed in the constitution. Ones right to vote without poll taxes are.

pghin08
08-16-2012, 09:06 AM
I just think if you're going to get strict about voting laws, get strict about ALL of them. Most election fraud comes from absentee balloting, but that usually benefits Republicans (military, etc). They don't say anything about that. The Dems cried foul in 2000 about this just like the Republicans are crying foul over not having photo IDs. All this argument has ever been is "How do we get more votes?"

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 09:11 AM
So you say getting an I.D. to work, cash a check ... is considered to be a poll tax to vote? How does anyone function in today's society with out some form of I.D.?

Who in the hell cares how they cash their check or get a book from the library. None of those acts are guaranteed in the constitution. Ones right to vote without poll taxes are.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 09:16 AM
So you say getting an I.D. to work, cash a check ... is considered to be a poll tax to vote? How does anyone function in today's society with out some form of I.D.?

I don't know and really don't care. I am against any unconstitutional impediments to stop otherwise legal people from voting. What next if you don't have health care you wont be able to vote either and you will get say how can you survive in society all these years w/o going to the doctor? People do what they have to do to survive. The last thing we need is republicans violating the constitution for their own sinister agenda.

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 09:23 AM
Check out this link below, this is how to get a voter I.D. card in the state of Pennsylvania (probably didn't spell that correctly) note one thing in the middle of the page, the fee is waived for anyone that needs and I.D. card for the purpose of voting. So the cost is $0.00 for anyone needing an I.D. card for the purpose of voting.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/voter/voteridlaw.shtml

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Check out this link below, this is how to get a voter I.D. card in the state of Pennsylvania (probably didn't spell that correctly) note one thing in the middle of the page, the fee is waived for anyone that needs and I.D. card for the purpose of voting. So the cost is $0.00 for anyone needing an I.D. card for the purpose of voting.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/voter/voteridlaw.shtml

To obtain a Pennsylvania Photo Identification card, an individual needs to visit a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Driver License Center with a completed Application for an Initial Photo Identification Card; form DL-54A (http://www.sportscardforum.com/pdotforms/dl_forms/dl-54a.pdf), and the following:

Social Security Card
AND
One of the following:

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
Certificate of Naturalization
Valid U.S. Passport
*Birth Certificate with a raised seal

You know all of those doccuments except for the social security card cost money don't you. Nice round about way to hide your poll taxes.

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 09:36 AM
You are to funny, nice job reaching on this.

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Here is the link to PA website to great a free birth cert for voting purposes, next excuse please?

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/voter_id/20978

To obtain a Pennsylvania Photo Identification card, an individual needs to visit a Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Driver License Center with a completed Application for an Initial Photo Identification Card; form DL-54A (http://www.sportscardforum.com/pdotforms/dl_forms/dl-54a.pdf), and the following:

Social Security Card
AND
One of the following:

Certificate of U.S. Citizenship
Certificate of Naturalization
Valid U.S. Passport
*Birth Certificate with a raised seal

You know all of those doccuments except for the social security card cost money don't you. Nice round about way to hide your poll taxes.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Here is the link to PA website to great a free birth cert for voting purposes, next excuse please?

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/voter_id/20978

So you are good if you were born in PA if not you still have to pay the poll tax. Got ya. Thanks for clearing that one up for me. :thumb:

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 10:15 AM
veggie - you do know the 2000 election was ultimately decided by the supreme court right? so as long as the supreme court decides in favor of the left we can trust them but if they decide in favor of the right it is fraud?

pghin08
08-16-2012, 10:18 AM
veggie - you do know the 2000 election was ultimately decided by the supreme court right? so as long as the supreme court decides in favor of the left we can trust them but if they decide in favor of the right it is fraud?

The issue that I had with that ruling as that it was "limited to the present circumstance". Which means, "Hey, we're going to rule on this issue this way right now, but we don't want our decision to set some kind of precedent. So, you know, we can just skirt responsibility". That's like one of the only issues I've ever had with the Supreme Court.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I think most recounts after the fact had Bush winning the state.

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
The issue that I had with that ruling as that it was "limited to the present circumstance". Which means, "Hey, we're going to rule on this issue this way right now, but we don't want our decision to set some kind of precedent. So, you know, we can just skirt responsibility". That's like one of the only issues I've ever had with the Supreme Court.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I think most recounts after the fact had Bush winning the state.

if i remember correctly, every single recount before the supreme court stepped in still had bush winning. yet, dems just keep saying "we all know bush stole the election in 2000" like it is fact.

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 10:22 AM
You cant stand to be proven wrong, but that's fine, I expected that.

So you are good if you were born in PA if not you still have to pay the poll tax. Got ya. Thanks for clearing that one up for me. :thumb:

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM

This is such a ridiculous issue. I had to show an ID when I got on an airplane last week. I had to show one to get a parking pass for my new job yesterday. I have to show it when I use a debit card at the grocery store. I have to show it to purchase alcohol. You need to show it to perform all of these trivial day-to-day tasks, but you shouldn't have to show one to exercise your power to elect public officials? Makes no sense at all.

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
mrv, do you honestly believe that the voter id laws are being enacted as a means to prevent black people from voting?

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:12 AM
This is such a ridiculous issue. I had to show an ID when I got on an airplane last week. I had to show one to get a parking pass for my new job yesterday. I have to show it when I use a debit card at the grocery store. I have to show it to purchase alcohol. You need to show it to perform all of these trivial day-to-day tasks, but you shouldn't have to show one to exercise your power to elect public officials? Makes no sense at all.

I worked for a credit card company before. Stores cannot force you to show an to use your card nor can they force you to make a min purchase. You should file a complaint with you bank against the merchant. That being said none of those tasks that you mentioned are protected in by the constitution. However the right to vote free of any gov't cost or taxes is.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:14 AM
mrv, do you honestly believe that the voter id laws are being enacted as a means to prevent black people from voting?

That and to prevent our black president from being re-elected.

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:17 AM
That and to prevent our black president from being re-elected.

Do you think that most white people are racist?

Do you think that most white politicians are racist?

Do you think that most white republicans are racist?

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I worked for a credit card company before. Stores cannot force you to show an to use your card nor can they force you to make a min purchase. You should file a complaint with you bank against the merchant. That being said none of those tasks that you mentioned are protected in by the constitution. However the right to vote free of any gov't cost or taxes is.

I have to buy gasoline to put in my car to drive to the polling location. Is that a poll tax?

pghin08
08-16-2012, 11:22 AM

OT, but congrats on the new job!

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
OT, but congrats on the new job!

Thanks. It's a second job. Still have my current one as well.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Do you think that most white people are racist?

Do you think that most white politicians are racist?

Do you think that most white republicans are racist?

Im not going to say that most white people or most white politicians are racists but I will says that a good precentage of racists tend to be conservative republicans.

pghin08
08-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Thanks. It's a second job. Still have my current one as well.

Geez, quite the workaholic!

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:29 AM
Im not going to say that most white people or most white politicians are racists but I will says that a good precentage of racists tend to be conservative republicans.

I will say that a "good percentage" of blacks are racist as well.

While there is probably a little truth to both of our comments, obviously, discussions like this get us nowhere. We need to move beyond this type of stuff. There is no grand white conspiracy to disenfranchise blacks.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I have to buy gasoline to put in my car to drive to the polling location. Is that a poll tax?

Not a poll tax because you can either walk or ride your bike to go vote. If you don't pay the state for an id or another agency of the state such as the dept of vital records for your birth certificate you will not be allowed to vote. No matter how you conservatives dance around the issue showing an id is a violation of the 24th amendment.

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Not a poll tax because you can either walk or ride your bike to go vote. If you don't pay the state for an id or another agency of the state such as the dept of vital records for your birth certificate you will not be allowed to vote. No matter how you conservatives dance around the issue showing an id is a violation of the 24th amendment.

What if I can't walk? Is the government going to pick me up at my house and take me to the polling place? Do I need a photo ID to get an absentee ballot?

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:33 AM
I will say that a "good percentage" of blacks are racist as well.

While there is probably a little truth to both of our comments, obviously, discussions like this get us nowhere. We need to move beyond this type of stuff. There is no grand white conspiracy to disenfranchise blacks.

Not all of the white people just the racists ones within the republican party. You are right this discussion will get us no where let's talk about how we can stop the republicans from their dreams of voter disenfranchisement.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:35 AM
What if I can't walk? Is the government going to pick me up at my house and take me to the polling place? Do I need a photo ID to get an absentee ballot?

I actually heard that a lot of states do not require an id for absentee voting but I have to check into that one. If someone cannot walk then they have to make other arrangements to get transportation to the voting place but that case would have nothing to do with the gov't hindering anyone from voting.

cbuskstwar
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
You continue to post this fabrication after you are proven wrong, classic veggie.

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 11:36 AM
i am truly sad for you veggie. i would not want to live in the world you have invented for yourself.

AUTaxMan
08-16-2012, 11:38 AM
I actually heard that a lot of states do not require an id for absentee voting but I have to check into that one. If someone cannot walk then they have to make other arrangements to get transportation to the voting place but that case would have nothing to do with the gov't hindering anyone from voting.

You are disenfranchising me from this conversation with your repeated failure to acknowledge the truth that there is no such conspiracy.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
You are disenfranchising me from this conversation with your repeated failure to acknowledge the truth that there is no such conspiracy.

You are welcome to continue in this or any other conversation on SCF until your heart contents. You being a lawyer are smart enough to know that any manditory fees levied by the state are a poll tax. You can continue on with your texas two step as long as you like but that wont do anything to change the facts.

tpeichel
08-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Getting an id cost money. Even if it only costs a penny it is still money. Having to pay for anything in order to vote is a poll tax which violates the 24th amendment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fourth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

The law provides for a free ID if no one else has responded.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 12:05 PM
The law provides for a free ID if no one else has responded.

A free id if you pay for other gov't services such as buying a birth cert or passport. Try again.

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
A free id if you pay for other gov't services such as buying a birth cert or passport. Try again.

question for you veggie - are you under the false idea that only black people are poor? you, and al sharpton, seem to think that anything that requires money is an attack on minorities. If your argument was that it was an attack on the poor, while i would still disagree, I would at least understand your point.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 12:17 PM
question for you veggie - are you under the false idea that only black people are poor? you, and al sharpton, seem to think that anything that requires money is an attack on minorities. If your argument was that it was an attack on the poor, while i would still disagree, I would at least understand your point.

No but poor people with any sense are not going to vote for a president that only has the best intrests of the ultra rich in mind. President Obama is not just fighting for blacks, he is fighting for the poor, women, hispanics, gays, christians, jews, hispanics, white people, college students, pretty much anyone that you would see walking down the street. Believe it or not he is even fighting for you and your family.

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
No but poor people with any sense are not going to vote for a president that only has the best intrests of the ultra rich in mind. President Obama is not just fighting for blacks, he is fighting for the poor, women, hispanics, gays, christians, jews, hispanics, white people, college students, pretty much anyone that you would see walking down the street. Believe it or not he is even fighting for you and your family.

wow, and you are able to tell republicans that we think romney and bush are our "messiah"? to hear you tell it, obama is jesus mixed in with a little captain america.

Wickabee
08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
wow, and you are able to tell republicans that we think romney and bush are our "messiah"? to hear you tell it, obama is jesus mixed in with a little captain america.

Can he post anything you won't rake over the coals?

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Can he post anything you won't rake over the coals?

so, he can say whatever outlandish thing he wants, but when i respond to it, you jump on my case? good to know. this is three threads in the last 30 minutes where you posted solely to come at me in veggie's defense.

Wickabee
08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
so, he can say whatever outlandish thing he wants, but when i respond to it, you jump on my case? good to know. this is three threads in the last 30 minutes where you posted solely to come at me in veggie's defense.
Not at all, though it doesn't surprise me that's what you think. Everything from the left is an attack, right?

When I see you responding to the fact it's him instead of to what was said, which is exactly what you're doing. Go ahead and respond, but respond to what is said, not who says it. It's annoying, it's low-rent and it's pretty pointless. If what he's saying is soooo horrible, you should be able to comment on that instead of focusing solely on the speaker. What you're doing shows that you have nothing to say that can't be summed up with "I don't like veggie".

ensbergcollector
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Not at all, though it doesn't surprise me that's what you think. Everything from the left is an attack, right?

When I see you responding to the fact it's him instead of to what was said, which is exactly what you're doing. Go ahead and respond, but respond to what is said, not who says it. It's annoying, it's low-rent and it's pretty pointless. If what he's saying is soooo horrible, you should be able to comment on that instead of focusing solely on the speaker. What you're doing shows that you have nothing to say that can't be summed up with "I don't like veggie".

you can't have actual back and forth when someone is dealing with outlandish false generalities. A large percentage of the time, when veggie refers to bush or romney, he makes statements like "the republicans messiah" and all you guys savior, etc. how am I supposed to respond to that? so, when he makes a statement like he did about obama, i feel it is well within posting etiquette to refer back to what he has said before.

mrveggieman
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM

Not only that he is able to leap tall buildings, walks on water, turns water into wine, found a cure for cancer, stopped global warming, ended world hunger and made world peace.

/sarcasm

Wickabee
08-16-2012, 01:01 PM
you can't have actual back and forth when someone is dealing with outlandish false generalities.
True, but you also can't have actual back and forth when one person is constantly focussed on who the other person is, not what they're saying. I believe you disagree with what he says, but all you ever come back with is calling him racist or cop-hater, etc. etc.

A large percentage of the time, when veggie refers to bush or romney, he makes statements like "the republicans messiah" and all you guys savior, etc. how am I supposed to respond to that?
The same way Democrats responded when every Republican in America was sarcastically calling Obama "Messiah". Or did you conveniently forget all about that?

so, when he makes a statement like he did about obama, i feel it is well within posting etiquette to refer back to what he has said before.

Nothing wrong with that, except for the fact that the vast majority of your posts could be simplified to "veggie, I don't like you". You don't add anything to it. We get it, you don't like the guy. Move on and try to have a real conversation instead of telling us what you think of individual posters over and over.

pghin08
08-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Back to the topic at hand, that goes for everyone.

tutall
08-16-2012, 05:01 PM
First off from the firswt post I can tell not to take this thread too seriously... Al Sharpton is probably one of the most racist people alive today. He is not only racist he is proud of it and willing to put it on camera anytime someone will tape him...

That said...

Is the goal of broke people to stay broke or fix it and be able to support themselves... In my opinion that is what this race is about... Getting broke people to work or continuing government entitlements to them so they can continue par for the course...

Same thing goes for the poll tax issue.... It is ridiculous to suggest but at one time you were given at least one official copy of each document...

INTIMADATOR2007
08-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Veggie, Did you vote in here georgia a couple weeks ago ? I did voted down that stupid splost bull crap . Guess what I had to show ID. Why is it the left moan when a state wants to inact a voter id law , but nothing from the states with a voter id law? Is it that more democratic states trying to push the law the problem? But a republican leaning state can have the law .

Wickabee
08-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I think I can clear this up.
When Al Sharpton talks about "Democracy" he doesn't mean the act of being democratic, he's referring to the act of being a Democrat.

mrveggieman
08-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Veggie, Did you vote in here georgia a couple weeks ago ? I did voted down that stupid splost bull crap . Guess what I had to show ID. Why is it the left moan when a state wants to inact a voter id law , but nothing from the states with a voter id law? Is it that more democratic states trying to push the law the problem? But a republican leaning state can have the law .

Are you talking about the transportation tax? I was in support of it but didn't make it down to vote. I kind of knew that the good people of georgia like yourself would vote it down. :rolleyes: It's funny how everyone here complains that the traffic his horrible here then when someone comes up with a plan to help fix it, it get's struck down. Go figure.