PDA

View Full Version : Feminist rock group found guilty of holiganism motivated by religious hatred

mrveggieman
08-17-2012, 01:48 PM
Before anyone says anything I already cleared this with the mods. Also please refrain from using the colorful word in the group's name in the forum. That being said what are your thoughts on this story?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/17/-riot-trial-guilty_n_1795570.html (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/17/-riot-trial-guilty_n_1795570.html)?

ensbergcollector
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
i find myself with too many questions to have a full opinion. was the cathedral open to the public and they just started a performance? I could easily see that being disturbing the peace at a minimum. I don't think there should be laws that make it any worse to verbally assault the church than something else. It seems strange that many high ranking people, including putin himself urged for a lighter sentence but they still got three years.
I also do not know the laws in russia well enough to comment much. If this is a known law, the band knew what it was risking by doing what they did. Not saying I agree with the law, but disagreement with a law doesn't mean you don't have to follow it, unless you are willing to pay the consequence.

shrewsbury
08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
religious hatred? they were praying to the virgin mary to remove their president, seems more like presidential hatred.

habsheaven
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
This group has a history of civil disobedience. I heard the sentence was 2 years. If so, I don't think it is an outrageous decision. Probably a little unjust, but not outrageous. Certainly bigger injustices going on in the world.

JustAlex
08-17-2012, 08:29 PM
LOL, I love their band name :D:

Seriously though, I see Russia has not changed their ways.....2 years for protesting?

mrveggieman
08-20-2012, 09:31 AM
LOL, I love their band name :D:

Seriously though, I see Russia has not changed their ways.....2 years for protesting?

Yeah me too. I have actually never heard of this group until this story came out but I will follow it and post updates as I see them.