PDA

View Full Version : Senate canidate's rape comments stir outcry

mrveggieman
08-20-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/senate-candidates-comments-on-1502441.html

Star_Cards
08-20-2012, 09:12 AM
saw this this morning. I've heard speculation that this will cost him his re-election bid.

Why in the heck would he need to qualify something as "legitimate rape" in his statement? You'd think a politician would know better than to say that. I also don't know where he's getting his information that a women's body can shut down reproduction in instances of rape. I'm no medical expert put that sounds false. The sad thing is people will probably start saying that now.

pghin08
08-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Really a bizarre statement to make.

AUTaxMan
08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
saw this this morning. I've heard speculation that this will cost him his re-election bid.

Why in the heck would he need to qualify something as "legitimate rape" in his statement? You'd think a politician would know better than to say that. I also don't know where he's getting his information that a women's body can shut down reproduction in instances of rape. I'm no medical expert put that sounds false. The sad thing is people will probably start saying that now.

A poor choice of words, obviously, but this shouldn't be the type of thing that costs somebody an election. It's not like he was making a policy statement, differentiating between legitimate and illegitimate rapes. If he had just not said "legitimate," the same meaning would have been conveyed without the firestorm.

pwaldo
08-20-2012, 02:42 PM
This would probably end his chances of winning in November but the Democrat isn't popular either and it seems to be a Republican state. Should make the race tight when it shouldn't have been in the first place if this guy stays in it.

Wickabee
08-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I also don't know where he's getting his information that a women's body can shut down reproduction in instances of rape. I'm no medical expert put that sounds false.

Well, apparently you're more of an expert than he is:

Physicians and rape experts say there’s no way the trauma of rape would prevent pregnancy from occurring.
“If a woman’s ovaries have already released an egg, she’s just as likely to get pregnant from a rape as she would be from a voluntary encounter,” Dr. Barbara Levy, vice president for health policy at the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, told NBC News. “From the biological standpoint, a woman is at risk for pregnancy if she’s at a vulnerable point in her menstrual cycle when the rape occurs.”
source: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/20/13378579-doctors-appalled-over-rep-akins-comments-that-legitimate-rape-prevents-pregnancy?lite

I actually have way more of a problem with that idea than "legitimate" rape, because I see the point he is trying to make by qualifying it as such. However, any smart Missouri liberal would turn around and use this as as a reason why sex education should be taught in school, because he could've used a class or two.

The sad thing is people will probably start saying that now.

Even I have enough faith in humans to believe that only the stupidest of the stupid will believe what he said.

JustAlex
08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Todd Akin....is he stupid, crazy, ignorant, or all of the above?

Yet another national embarrassment for the already clownish GOP.

marekschwarz33
08-20-2012, 10:15 PM
Dumb comment but it doesn't surprise me coming from Akin. I'm a Missourian and I really didn't want this guy to be nominated. I voted for John Brunner in the primary. Don't like McCaskill at all either though so I'll probably vote Libertarian.

habsheaven
08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Come tomorrow he will not be the Republican candidate so you may get to vote for Brunner in the end.

Wickabee
08-20-2012, 11:52 PM
Todd Akin....is he stupid, crazy, ignorant, or all of the above?

Yet another national embarrassment for the already clownish GOP.

Now alex, be fair. Not one member of the GOP has defended this. You've always contended they would defend anything lest it appear there's a rift in the party.

JustAlex
08-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Now alex, be fair. Not one member of the GOP has defended this. You've always contended they would defend anything lest it appear there's a rift in the party.
Yeah, I guess you're right...

In the past I have seen them defend very outlandish comments, this time they actually backed away from this joke of congressman.

Still, why are the GOP so hostile towards women?

We all remember their "war on women" campaign where they tried to pass a lot of legislation to strictly regulate abortion and contraceptives.

I don't even understand it.

The U.S actually has more females than males, why on earth would they be so hostile toward them?

Wickabee
08-21-2012, 01:30 AM
It has little to do with women and much to do with Christians.
Now, before I get called a Christian basher, let me explain.
It's a pretty safe bet that if your a conservative Christian (meaning conservative pertaining to Christianty) you're going to vote Republican. They pander to Christians because Christians are, as a group, loud and many. Many of them believe the country should be held to their belief system in what I can only assume is a ploy to remove all temptation to make is easier for them to lool down on people.

This, however, was the rantings of an idiot gone off script. Lord knows there is enough of those to go around for both parties.

Star_Cards
08-21-2012, 09:51 AM
A poor choice of words, obviously, but this shouldn't be the type of thing that costs somebody an election. It's not like he was making a policy statement, differentiating between legitimate and illegitimate rapes. If he had just not said "legitimate," the same meaning would have been conveyed without the firestorm.

I agree. I don't think his statement was to insinuate that there are other lesser types of rape. I think he just meant to say that if a case is in fact a rape... blah blah blah. It is odd that a politician would believe that a women's body has a way of shutting down her reproductive when being raped. I do find it funny and typical that obama and romney are making sure that it's understood they have no opinion even close to his. It's also funny that the republicans are calling for him to back out of the race so that they can have time to try to preserve the seat.

It's always interesting how a politician can be backed, etc and then one word, "legitimate" can derail it all in a flash.

Star_Cards
08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Well, apparently you're more of an expert than he is:

source: http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/20/13378579-doctors-appalled-over-rep-akins-comments-that-legitimate-rape-prevents-pregnancy?lite

I actually have way more of a problem with that idea than "legitimate" rape, because I see the point he is trying to make by qualifying it as such. However, any smart Missouri liberal would turn around and use this as as a reason why sex education should be taught in school, because he could've used a class or two.

Even I have enough faith in humans to believe that only the stupidest of the stupid will believe what he said.

I completely agree with you. The statement was a complete lie to try to bolster his ideology about banning abortions by saying that a raped woman is somehow less likely to become pregnant than a women that has consensual sex. The fact that he lies about something like this to try to sway people to his way of thinking is way more of an issue than him saying legitimate rape. Of course that's not as flashy but still the main issue of what he said.

Wickabee
08-21-2012, 11:26 AM
I completely agree with you. The statement was a complete lie to try to bolster his ideology about banning abortions by saying that a raped woman is somehow less likely to become pregnant than a women that has consensual sex. The fact that he lies about something like this to try to sway people to his way of thinking is way more of an issue than him saying legitimate rape. Of course that's not as flashy but still the main issue of what he said.

I don't think he lied. I think he genuinely believed it to be true until someone told him he's an idiot after the interview. I really do think he is in need of a few sex ed. classes. Do they have sex ed. in Missouri or are they one of "those" states?

shrewsbury
08-21-2012, 11:54 AM
actually there was a thesis written around 1972 by a doctor that stated this and it was thought to be true for years. even in the 80's they were teaching this in nursing school.

Star_Cards
08-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't think he lied. I think he genuinely believed it to be true until someone told him he's an idiot after the interview. I really do think he is in need of a few sex ed. classes. Do they have sex ed. in Missouri or are they one of "those" states?

well he did say that he spoke with medical doctors (not sure if that's the exact phrase he used) who told him this. Either they were uninformed DRs or he lied about it. I guess we'll never know.

Star_Cards
08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
actually there was a thesis written around 1972 by a doctor that stated this and it was thought to be true for years. even in the 80's they were teaching this in nursing school.

so basically he's speaking under the theory from someone 30 years ago. I guess that I can see where then he wasn't lying... just horribly ill-informed.

mrveggieman
08-21-2012, 12:56 PM
so basically he's speaking under the theory from someone 30 years ago. I guess that I can see where then he wasn't lying... just horribly ill-informed.

And this was coming from someone who works for a political party that encourages abstinence only sex ed. :frusty::frusty::frusty:

shrewsbury
08-21-2012, 05:19 PM
veggie, I know you love to see in black and white, but you miss so many shaded in between. you love to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

if conservatives knew what they were talking about they would ask him to step down because he is not up with the times and as a leader he should be.

this is no different than the anti christians on here who only know what they were taught as kids about christianity.

JustAlex
08-22-2012, 02:46 AM
This Disgusting, PERVERTED, clown of a Human is the reason why I am Pro-choice.

Because it's people like him that want abortion to be 100% illegal no matter what excuse including RAPE!

Oh and the fact that he didn't drop out and is SOMEHOW still ahead in the polls just further confirms how stupid Americans really are.

Wickabee
08-22-2012, 03:15 AM

Because it's people like him that want abortion to be 100% illegal no matter what excuse including RAPE!

Oh and the fact that he didn't drop out and is SOMEHOW still ahead in the polls just further confirms how stupid Americans really are.

His opponent could just be that terrible.

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 07:56 AM
veggie, I know you love to see in black and white, but you miss so many shaded in between. you love to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

if conservatives knew what they were talking about they would ask him to step down because he is not up with the times and as a leader he should be.

It would be nice if the did but we all know that they don't.

this is no different than the anti christians on here who only know what they were taught as kids about christianity.

Or the people who are right wing racist christian fanatics because of what they were taught as a kid about minorities, women and muslims.

Responses in bold.

shrewsbury
08-22-2012, 08:29 AM
veggie, good reply, no argument from me!

pghin08
08-22-2012, 09:03 AM
His opponent could just be that terrible.

Nope. His opponent is Claire McCaskill. McCaskill is the senior Senator from Missouri, and she's pretty well-respected. She's on the Armed Services committee, and often holds the Defense Department's feet to the fire when it comes to irrational spending.

Star_Cards
08-22-2012, 09:40 AM

look up and watch his interview from this morning on The Today Show. He impressed me in his answers and saying that he was misinformed about women being able to somehow prevent pregnancy in cases of rape.

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 09:48 AM
look up and watch his interview from this morning on The Today Show. He impressed me in his answers and saying that he was misinformed about women being able to somehow prevent pregnancy in cases of rape.

I didn't watch the interview and if this guy honestly believes that he is misinformed he is still an idiot and it is a classic example of why comprehensive sex ed should be manditory in all schools public and private.

Star_Cards
08-22-2012, 09:54 AM
I didn't watch the interview and if this guy honestly believes that he is misinformed he is still an idiot and it is a classic example of why comprehensive sex ed should be manditory in all schools public and private.

I agree that it's odd that he ever believed this to be medical fact let alone say it in a public interview. I just think he was standup about the situation and admitted he was wrong. Something you don't see in politics much, which is sad. I still doubt I would vote for the guy if I were in his district, but it would be based off of his group of ideals and not just this one topic.

definitely believe that this is a great case of more comprehensive sex education classes.

boba
08-22-2012, 11:31 AM

I find it pretty sad that you would let one person help sway you to be pro choice when lives are possibly at stake.

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I find it pretty sad that you would let one person help sway you to be pro choice when lives are possibly at stake.

He was already set in his views on abortion. That just reaffirmed his beliefs. I still don't believe in abortion but idiots like this guy don't make do the pro life crowd any favors.