PDA

View Full Version : any one Freelance in their profession?

scottkoz20
08-21-2012, 10:46 AM
If you do, what are the pros/cons to doing so?

Fritz
08-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Getting paid seems to be a problem with freelance graphic design. I've had 10 or 15 projects over the years that people haven't paid. My fault I guess for delivering final artwork before getting any $. Now I do half up front and half when completed.

Star_Cards
08-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I don't freelance a ton as a graphic designer, but do maybe 3-4 jobs a year. Most of them are for people I know so I have always been paid. It's sad to hear that fritz has had so many jobs unpaid after he sent final art in. People just don't realize the amount of work that goes into art. Just because good designers make the final product look easy doesn't mean the process to get there wasn't tough and involving long hours.

I also have done some commissions as a fine art painter. Again these have been for friends and I have always been paid.

For me, freelancing on the side is great. I get the security of an everyday job and can also work on things outside of what I do at my day job. I'd say the biggest con to being 100% freelance is finding regular work. That and the cost of paying for my own healthcare are the two major reasons why I still have a graphic design day job.

habsheaven
08-27-2012, 04:30 PM
I do the accounting for a few companies on the side. I also do approx. 20-30 tax returns during tax season. It's nice to have "extra" money although it can be a pain in the backside at times.