PDA

View Full Version : 58 percent of college basketball coaches believe that players should be paid

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 10:37 AM
I originally posted this in the basketball forum but am posting this over here because this is also a political issue. The reason why college football and basketball players are not paid by the ncaa is not to protect the intregrity of college athletics (sounds almost like the integrety of marriage) but so college athletice will continue to be treated as a non profit educational venture and therefore will be tax exempt because the ncaa does not want to share any of the $6 billion that they are getting from cbs for march madness. Just imagine how much more tax revenue we would have if the ncaa paid their fair share.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2012/08/poll-58-percent-of-college-coaches-believe-players-should-be-paid/

Tivo32
08-22-2012, 01:31 PM
I don't at all disagree with the coaches. A college athlete literally puts hundreds of thousands of hours each season into what they do. The problem comes do you give all athletes at a school the same stipend? Do you only pay the football and basketball players and not women's field hockey or men's water polo? How do you set up a system that is fair to everyone involved?

theonedru
08-22-2012, 01:41 PM
If your going to ay basketball player then you have to pay all other athletes in the other schools sports. Then expand from there, start paying students that are attending, after all their tuition provides profit for the schools so why exclude them. It just snowballs out of control. These kids are there for an education not to play basketball or football, and considering 99.999% will never play pro they need that education the most.

Tivo32
08-22-2012, 01:47 PM
If your going to ay basketball player then you have to pay all other athletes in the other schools sports. Then expand from there, start paying students that are attending, after all their tuition provides profit for the schools so why exclude them. It just snowballs out of control. These kids are there for an education not to play basketball or football, and considering 99.999% will never play pro they need that education the most.

I agree that you need to pay all other athletes in the other school sports. But it stops there. The students who don't play sports have A LOT more time on their hands to get a job both during the school year and during the summer. Student athletes don't have that luxury. Granted, they are getting their schooling paid for, but as most recent college graduates are finding, even having a 4 year degree isn't guaranteeing a job after graduation.

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 01:49 PM

Better yet why not pay the kid who works in the school cafeteria or lunch room anything? Tell them that they are doing it for experience and they should be honored to get the experience of serving food or working retail. Forget how much money the school makes from selling slop or the obscene markup on college textbooks.

ensbergcollector
08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
while I would have no issue with athletes getting paid, I am one of those who thinks that a 100-200K education for free is getting paid so I don't have heartache when they don't get paid. I do however think that they should be given a small amount to cover basics like food, etc since they do not have the time for a job.

on a side note, if we allow for under the table dealings, a large amount of college football and basketball players are getting paid.

theonedru
08-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Better yet why not pay the kid who works in the school cafeteria or lunch room anything? Tell them that they are doing it for experience and they should be honored to get the experience of serving food or working retail. Forget how much money the school makes from selling slop or the obscene markup on college textbooks.

School is for learning and education, sports is a far 2nd and if they do not take their schooling seriously and end up with no pro career and no work skills maybe they deserve to starve for their stupidity. And why just basketball players, why not football? Its just as popular and generates huge revenues, why are you purposely ignoring them. Why not pay everyone who promotes revenue for a school in any capacity, that's only fair is it not? or is this one of those times where its ok to be bias?

Tivo32
08-22-2012, 10:32 PM
School is for learning and education, sports is a far 2nd and if they do not take their schooling seriously and end up with no pro career and no work skills maybe they deserve to starve for their stupidity. And why just basketball players, why not football? Its just as popular and generates huge revenues, why are you purposely ignoring them. Why not pay everyone who promotes revenue for a school in any capacity, that's only fair is it not? or is this one of those times where its ok to be bias?

Slam is a basketball magazine so their main and only concern is basketball players. Every, single year this is discussed and mentioned about a million times during the college football season as well.

mrveggieman
08-23-2012, 07:39 AM

Just like the previous poster said slam is a basketball mag so they are dedicated to basketball. However I think that football players should also get paid. Any revenue earning sport should have to split its profits with the ballplayers who are generating the money for the school.

shortking98
08-23-2012, 08:43 AM
I don't at all disagree with the coaches. A college athlete literally puts hundreds of thousands of hours each season into what they do. The problem comes do you give all athletes at a school the same stipend? Do you only pay the football and basketball players and not women's field hockey or men's water polo? How do you set up a system that is fair to everyone involved?There are less than 9,000 hours in a year so it is physically impossible for an athlete to put literally hundreds of thousands of hours into a season but I do agree that revenue generating athletes should be paid something.

Star_Cards
08-23-2012, 08:56 AM
I myself don't know what the answer is. I just know that the colleges, the NCAA, and the coaches make millions and billions of dollars from the major college athletics. The money that the NCAA makes off of March Madness is insane. It's a bit hypocritical for them to take in that much cash and yet expect the players to not receive anything. I do get that the athletes get scholarships and I do think that counts as payment that they receive, but some of the rules the NCAA enforces is absurd. I think if the students did get a per diem they'd be less likely to get in with boosters or bookies or whoever is offering the star players money to make their connections at the ground floor.

Joncamburn
08-23-2012, 09:18 AM
I know it has been said on here before, but I definetly agree that a full ride at a college which can be $100,000-$200,000 is payment enough. I played sports in college, I didn't get a full ride, but the scholorship money helped me out and I looked at that as payment enough. Plus I would say the majority of the college athletes enjoy playing and aren't doing it for any money. I know that I still would have played even if I didn't get a scholorship.

Tivo32
08-23-2012, 09:26 AM
There are less than 9,000 hours in a year so it is physically impossible for an athlete to put literally hundreds of thousands of hours into a season but I do agree that revenue generating athletes should be paid something.

Thank you for the correction. I meant to say hundreds or thousands.

Tivo32
08-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I know it has been said on here before, but I definetly agree that a full ride at a college which can be $100,000-$200,000 is payment enough. I played sports in college, I didn't get a full ride, but the scholorship money helped me out and I looked at that as payment enough. Plus I would say the majority of the college athletes enjoy playing and aren't doing it for any money. I know that I still would have played even if I didn't get a scholorship.

Only 1 school (Texas Christian University) in the Preseason Top 25 Poll for college football is not a state school. For the Top 20 in basketball, there are probably a few more who are not state schools. Most of these schools that are bringing in HUGE revenues in both football and basketball are not $100,000 to $200,000 educations. For a 4 year degree it's more like $75,000 to $100,000 at most. I don't think anyone is saying these players should get $50,000 to $100,000 or more for playing college sports. But giving them $7,500 a semester (Fall, Spring, Summer) would help clean up the game and take some of the territory back from boosters and agents that the NCAA is fighting so hard against.