PDA

View Full Version : Atheists road signs attack the faiths of obama, romney

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 04:38 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/08/22/signs-attack-religion-ahead-democratic-convention/

shrewsbury
08-22-2012, 04:48 PM
funny the signs says christianity promotes hatred, when the sign itself does.

Star_Cards
08-22-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't know if that sign promotes hatred. It's definitely negative and questions christianity.

I find it odd that who ever paid for this sign sees atheism as an organization. I don't understand why the maker of this sign feels like atheism needs to be promoted.

ensbergcollector
08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
i like how they say "the signs are aimed at keeping religion and politics separate as the convention gets under way" while in reality the signs are nothing more than mocking christianity and mormonism and recruiting for atheism. The signs say absolutely nothing about religion and politics.

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 05:01 PM
i like how they say "the signs are aimed at keeping religion and politics separate as the convention gets under way" while in reality the signs are nothing more than mocking christianity and mormonism and recruiting for atheism. The signs say absolutely nothing about religion and politics.

I tend to agree. Also starcards made an excellent point regarding the person who put up the signs trying to paint atheism as an organization. Listen I respect atheists even though I am not one I just wonder why some atheist want to make atheism into a religion just like christanity or islam.

ensbergcollector
08-22-2012, 05:08 PM
I tend to agree. Also starcards made an excellent point regarding the person who put up the signs trying to paint atheism as an organization. Listen I respect atheists even though I am not one I just wonder why some atheist want to make atheism into a religion just like christanity or islam.

that is actually becoming fairly common. Judging by the organized large events, it appears they are capitalizing on younger people who grew up in church and therefore are accustomed to having that social network and group. They are looking to replace "church" for the current young generation.

now, I am not knocking, because churches do the same thing. Just saying, it appears that it is becoming common.

mrveggieman
08-22-2012, 05:17 PM
that is actually becoming fairly common. Judging by the organized large events, it appears they are capitalizing on younger people who grew up in church and therefore are accustomed to having that social network and group. They are looking to replace "church" for the current young generation.

now, I am not knocking, because churches do the same thing. Just saying, it appears that it is becoming common.

Yeah pretty soon they are going to want to collect donations and become their own tax exempt organization which oddly enough is one of their main complaints about the church. Go figure.

JustAlex
08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
David Silverman (President of American Atheist) is what is known as a "Hard Atheist".

For all you guys who think I'm tough on religion, than you should hear Mr. Silverman.....I'm actually a "Soft Atheist"....this means that I still question the existence of god and I leave the door open to the possibility that he could indeed be real, although I do still REJECT any and all religion and find it very detrimental to any and all societies.

Anyway....I fully support the billboards!

JustAlex
08-22-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't know if that sign promotes hatred. It's definitely negative and questions christianity.

I find it odd that who ever paid for this sign sees atheism as an organization. I don't understand why the maker of this sign feels like atheism needs to be promoted.
I think that in the past David Silverman has said that he's promoting current atheists to "Come out of the closet".

I myself was a "closeted atheist" for quite awhile, and I feel that the more atheists speak out the more people will find it easier to "come out" and admit to themselves that they are in fact an atheist.

And I fully support that....atheists are the #1 most hated group in this country.....BUT....we're also growing ever bigger!

ensbergcollector
08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
I think that in the past David Silverman has said that he's promoting current atheists to "Come out of the closet".

I myself was a "closeted atheist" for quite awhile, and I feel that the more atheists speak out the more people will find it easier to "come out" and admit to themselves that they are in fact an atheist.

And I fully support that....atheists are the #1 most hated group in this country.....BUT....we're also growing ever bigger!

what do you base the idea that atheists are the most hated group in america? can you find me billboards paid for by christians with the intent of mocking atheism?

JustAlex
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
what do you base the idea that atheists are the most hated group in america? can you find me billboards paid for by christians with the intent of mocking atheism?

Here is my proof that atheists are the most hated and distrusted Americans:

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2009/09/19/research-finds-that-atheists-are-most-hated-and-distrusted-minority/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1

^LOL, we're apparently on the same level as rapists in terms of distrust, unreal!

BTW, a vast number of scientists are atheists! (well, that's not really surprising, but there you go...)

As for Christians mocking atheists with billboards?

They DO!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j9oDqG2zBGE/SSBmDUWcsEI/AAAAAAAACYA/RGi2-q0RZRo/s1600/christian%2Bbillboard%2Bone.jpg

http://viewsfromtheoortcloud.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/image32.jpeg
^HILARIOUS!

http://bligbi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/billboard1.jpg

JustAlex
08-22-2012, 06:11 PM
I Love how the Christian billboards portray atheists as "un-American", lol, the only thing we profess is our disbelief in god, that's it.

shrewsbury
08-22-2012, 06:13 PM
I do still REJECT any and all religion and find it very detrimental to any and all societies.

i can somewhat get that and, believe it or not, kind of agree with it. but as someone who TRIES to understand and follow the teachings of Jesus, I find it really hard to believe any of His teachings are detrimental to any society, except those who do not want to take personal responsibility for anything.

those that think christianity is bunk are mainly those that only go by the bible and peoples interpretation of the bible. when you throw out the bible and just focus on what Jesus taught, I am unsure how you can argue against it.

JustAlex
08-22-2012, 06:36 PM
I took a closer look at this billboard and saw how insanely stupid it really is.

First of all, to my knowledge most atheists don't believe that "nothing made everything", but I guess they are referring to the Big Bang, although the idiots behind this billboard clearly don't understand the big bang theory since nowhere does it say that "nothing made everything".

Secondly, what in the world does Darwin have to do with "nothing made everything"? Evolution doesn't deal with how life originated, so that's two strikes for the morons who put this thing up.

Finally, an atheist doesn't have to believe in evolution, the big bang theory or any other scientific theories, he just has to believe that god doesn't exists, that's it.....strike three!

habsheaven
08-22-2012, 09:02 PM
i can somewhat get that and, believe it or not, kind of agree with it. but as someone who TRIES to understand and follow the teachings of Jesus, I find it really hard to believe any of His teachings are detrimental to any society, except those who do not want to take personal responsibility for anything.

those that think christianity is bunk are mainly those that only go by the bible and peoples interpretation of the bible. when you throw out the bible and just focus on what Jesus taught, I am unsure how you can argue against it.

There is plenty related to the story of Jesus that defies logic. Disbelievers do not have to focus only on the OT.

Dunndeal
08-22-2012, 09:37 PM
JustAlex,habsheaven...Luv you guys lol

joee5
08-22-2012, 09:39 PM
waaat??

ensbergcollector
08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
alex - i would say the anti-atheist billboards are stupid so I agree with you on that. However, the wording of the studies is very obviously meant to twist things emotionally. The headline reads "research finds that atheists are the most hated and distrusted minority" however, the wording on the survey was about which group least shares your vision of american society and i would disapprove of my child wanting to marry someone of this group. Neither of those says anything about distrust or hatred. Funny that the title and entire article comments on things that were not even asked in the survey.

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
habs, sure everyone will try to disprove the miracles, resurrection, and ascension, but I am talking about His teachings. Can someone disprove the logic of His teachings?

habsheaven
08-23-2012, 09:28 AM
habs, sure everyone will try to disprove the miracles, resurrection, and ascension, but I am talking about His teachings. Can someone disprove the logic of His teachings?

I'm not an expert on his teachings (obviously), but I cannot think of any criticisms. I also cannot think of any criticisms of Ghandi, and I know he existed without all the fanfare and miracles. It is entirely possible to live within the teachings of Jesus without ever knowing of his existence or to a lesser extent, believing the circumstances around his existence.

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 09:31 AM
habs, you can also believe in the ancient alien theory.

habsheaven
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
habs, you can also believe in the ancient alien theory.

I haven't totally discounted that one. I'm more about knowing what I don't believe than I am about knowing what I do believe.

brooaar
08-23-2012, 10:08 PM

Paint or photoshop?

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 12:39 AM
I don't know who would be the most hated, but when I tell people I am an atheist they are typically shocked. Some find it interesting, some think I'm somehow a worse person than a believer and I regularly get the "I'll pray for you" crap. It's quite honestly rather offensive when someone tells me that. All that said I my beliefs rarely come up so I would hardly say that I feel persecuted or anything. I do find it odd that a lot of people seem to fear non believers.

JustAlex
08-24-2012, 01:31 AM
I don't know who would be the most hated, but when I tell people I am an atheist they are typically shocked. Some find it interesting, some think I'm somehow a worse person than a believer and I regularly get the "I'll pray for you" crap. It's quite honestly rather offensive when someone tells me that. All that said I my beliefs rarely come up so I would hardly say that I feel persecuted or anything. I do find it odd that a lot of people seem to fear non believers.
Oh that's nothing....I made the HUGE mistake of telling a religious friend of mine that I was an atheist and he almost exploded.

Immediately he began to ask me 101 questions....including:

Aren't you scared of going to hell?
So, you don't believe in anything?
What do your parents think about this?

and so on...

Unfortunately, I must confess I rarely talk to this individual anymore, apparently, he cares more about what I believe than being friends....oh well.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Oh that's nothing....I made the HUGE mistake of telling a religious friend of mine that I was an atheist and he almost exploded.

and so on...

Unfortunately, I must confess I rarely talk to this individual anymore, apparently, he cares more about what I believe than being friends....oh well.

Yeah I think that was really stupid for anyone to ask if you were afraid of going to hell. If you were then you wouldn't be an atheist. You should turn around and ask them are you afraid of going to hell when you die if you find out that your religion is completly false and you should have been worshiping the greek god apallo instead of being a christian.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM

and so on...

I get that people are curious about it. When I encounter someone that believes or does something that is new to me I like to ask them questions, but it's more an inquisitive conservation and not because I think they are bad or wrong for believing or doing what they do.

I understand that for a believer who has believed all of their life and have been around mostly believers it would be odd to find one that is an atheist. I have plenty of friends that are curious about my lack of faith in a god and ask me about it in a respectful manner. Some of my best friends are pretty religious and they have never been disrespectful and nor have I.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Paint or photoshop?

lol... totally photoshopped.