PDA

View Full Version : Democrat caught with 17 year old a month ago, where is the news?

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
where the heck was the coverage on this?

[QUOTE]Police say Gauthier admitted engaging in oral sex with the boy on July 22 after the first-term lawmaker from Duluth advertised on Craigslist for "no strings attached" sex. [QUOTE]

http://brainerddispatch.com/news/2012-08-22/minnesota-lawmaker-rest-stop-scandal-wont-drop-bid-re-election

mrveggieman
08-23-2012, 12:48 PM
What he did was indeed distasteful but it was not a crime in the state that the incident occured so it is not a major news issue. You may want to ask faux news why they are not all over this story.

habsheaven
08-23-2012, 12:59 PM
It is newsworthy IMO, but if Fox didn't report on it yet I would venture to guess that no one in the news caught wind of it until now.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 01:05 PM
I suppose it's newsworthy, but at the same time, no laws were broken. He didn't pay the young man and the young man was of consenting age. He now says he had trouble admitting he's gay but does now and is getting counseling.

Worth knowing, but I don't know why there'd be any outrage about it.

jlzinck
08-23-2012, 01:18 PM
Now a Senator tapping his foot in a bathroom stall is MAJOR news. Some guy going down on someone who can't even vote yet. No Problem. Member of Congress sends text messages to young man = scandal. This not so much.
All I ask for is equal treatment/reporting.

AUTaxMan
08-23-2012, 01:20 PM
All I ask for is equal treatment/reporting.

Don't hold your breath.

habsheaven
08-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Again, if FOX, a right wing organization, hasn't reported on it yet. Then I don't think any of the networks were aware of it until now. It certainly deserves the same level of "scandalization" that the other Republican incidents garnered. Let's see what today's news cycle brings before we start clamouring about "unequal" coverage.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Now a Senator tapping his foot in a bathroom stall is MAJOR news. Some guy going down on someone who can't even vote yet. No Problem. Member of Congress sends text messages to young man = scandal. This not so much.
Wasn't the first Senator you mention vehemently against gay anything?
That's why that was a scandal. Not entirely sure what the others you're referring to are.

ensbergcollector
08-23-2012, 01:34 PM
i would think the ages involved, regardless of party and gender, would cause a decent amount of "outrage"

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 01:41 PM
i would think the ages involved, regardless of party and gender, would cause a decent amount of "outrage"

Two people who are both above the age of consent, that being 16, should draw outrage? Why?

ensbergcollector
08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Two people who are both above the age of consent, that being 16, should draw outrage? Why?

typically, if a 55 year old man is having sex with a 17 or 18 year old, regardless of gender, and regardless of if they are above the age of consent, it will result in some outrage.

pghin08
08-23-2012, 01:45 PM
State Legislator, end of story. If this was a national Rep. or Senator, it'd be unreal news. Nobody cares about state legislators on a national level.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 01:59 PM
typically, if a 55 year old man is having sex with a 17 or 18 year old, regardless of gender, and regardless of if they are above the age of consent, it will result in some outrage.

On Maury, maybe, but with no laws broken, I do not understand outrage here.

theonedru
08-23-2012, 02:30 PM
A whole lot of hot steam being blown over nothing.. I bet if it was a female he met with there would not be the outrage because that is rampant and accepted in our society. People are just hating on it because its a man on man thing.

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
outrage would be, a grown man having sex with a child, a grown man having sex at a rest stop, and no media coverage anywhere.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 02:44 PM
outrage would be, a grown man having sex with a child, a grown man having sex at a rest stop, and no media coverage anywhere.

Ok I'm confused. What does legal age of consent mean to you?

theonedru
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM

If news reported on this then I would bet thats what the news would have to focus on because it happens a lot in places like that.

Star_Cards
08-23-2012, 02:59 PM
hmm... seems like a stupid thing to do if you are a politician. Sounds like no laws were broken since he was over 16, still not really the type of thing you want a politician engaging in. I'm not sure if he should step down or not. Since he didn't do anything illegal I'm not sure he should. There are plenty of politicians who have had sex scandals and have kept their jobs. I guess for me it just depends on if he can still do his job or not.

Star_Cards
08-23-2012, 03:01 PM
State Legislator, end of story. If this was a national Rep. or Senator, it'd be unreal news. Nobody cares about state legislators on a national level.

completely missed that he is a state legislator. that's pretty much why. that and he did nothing illegal based on the state law that 16 is the legal age of consent. I agree. had he been a national politician it would be getting traction.

mrveggieman
08-23-2012, 03:21 PM

How is it this guy is a grown man having sex with a 17 year old "child" but Travyon Martin was also 17 when he was cowardly murdered by zimmerman and we must never call Trayvon a child? Please be consistent with your hyprocracy.

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
veggie, when did i say trayvon could not be considered a child? the only thing i said is the fact, and yes it is a fact, a 17 year old could beat up a grown man.

17 years old, not old enough to be in a binding contract, not old enough to join the military, should be in highschool, not old enough to buy cigarettes or booze, lives at home, relies on parents for food and such, that is a child.

and i would only expect you to be consistent when it comes to the whites hatred towards blacks that you spout all the time.

so anyone on here would be ok if a 55 year old had sex with their 17 year old child? if so, you guys are a sick bunch of people!!!!!!!!!!!

mrveggieman
08-23-2012, 04:42 PM
veggie, when did i say trayvon could not be considered a child? the only thing i said is the fact, and yes it is a fact, a 17 year old could beat up a grown man.

17 years old, not old enough to be in a binding contract, not old enough to join the military, should be in highschool, not old enough to buy cigarettes or booze, lives at home, relies on parents for food and such, that is a child.

and i would only expect you to be consistent when it comes to the whites hatred towards blacks that you spout all the time.

so anyone on here would be ok if a 55 year old had sex with their 17 year old child? if so, you guys are a sick bunch of people!!!!!!!!!!!

I would never reccomend that any 55 year old have sex with a 17 year old even if the law says it's ok. It's just not worth the hassle IMO. Also as far as I heard there was no racism or racial bigotry in this particular case but if there is please post.

Star_Cards
08-23-2012, 04:50 PM

I find it a bit odd that a 55 year old would have sex with a 17 year old, but if they are both of legal age and and it's consensual then it's up to the two people. If you want to argue the law we can debate that, but it's not really debatable in this case as the 17 year old is a consenting adult by rule. I still say it's not something that a politician should be doing if he's trying to retain his job.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Many, many people had a problem with Trayvon being called "a child". I honestly don't remember exactly who, so I won't claim to say it was you (in fact, I don't think it was) but a LOT of people really thought he should have been considered an "adult".
As such, I get veggie's point.

Except that, by the laws of the state where this occurred, the "child" in question is considered a legally consenting adult. If he were a "child" under the law, an arrest would have been made. The police decided not to. No law broken, issue over, so far as his career goes.

Okay with it? Not a chance, but it ultimately wouldn't matter what I think if it were legal.

theonedru
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM

People do millions of immoral things everyday so why don't you go off hating on them as well. Morally it may have been not so smart, but legally he did zero zip nothing wrong as such I do not see why people have to get so worked up over this they resort to name calling and bashing.....

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 06:01 PM
I am guessing none of you have or have had a 17 year old son or daughter.

if you think some crappy, child molesting law, makes it ok, either you never raised a 17 year old, or something else is wrong. i have raised 3 kids and coached soccer and was very involved with the schools, and there is no 17 year old mature enough to make that decision and no adult who would make that decision who has an inkling of decency.

the guys a pervert and should be treated as one.

you can be very immoral and still never break the law, or even be moral and break the law.
this is a fine example of how the law is used to allow immoral behavior.

and as you can tell, this is a hot topic for me.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 06:10 PM

if you think some crappy, child molesting law, makes it ok, either you never raised a 17 year old, or something else is wrong. i have raised 3 kids and coached soccer and was very involved with the schools, and there is no 17 year old mature enough to make that decision and no adult who would make that decision who has an inkling of decency.

you can be very immoral and still never break the law, or even be moral and break the law.

Wow.

All I said was I wouldn't be okay with it but there's nothing I could do about it either.
Jeez.

JustAlex
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
I think the liberal members on here have already explained this very well.

No laws were broken, Not even FAUX NEWS bothered with this, the guy is a nobody on the national level and even though this is very CREEPY (I mean that the age gap is so big) there is technically nothing wrong with what he did.

Sorry Republicans, there is no story here.

theonedru
08-23-2012, 06:32 PM
as you can tell, this is a hot topic for me.

yeah I got that when you insulted us

you guys are a sick bunch of people!!!!!!!!!!!

shrewsbury
08-23-2012, 06:40 PM
wickabee, that was not directed at you (for once)

dru, nice way to take something out of context, and if anyone thinks having sex with a child for any reason is ok, then you can take that as directed at you, if not then it wasn't directed at you.

alex, glad that you only have to live by the laws, I am doubting all anti republicans are ok with a 55 year old grown man having sex with a high school senior. and who cares what fox news says, last time i checked, i never signed a power of attorney for them to speak on my behalf.

Wickabee
08-23-2012, 06:43 PM
wickabee, that was not directed at you (for once)

dru, nice way to take something out of context, and if anyone thinks having sex with a child for any reason is ok, then you can take that as directed at you, if not then it wasn't directed at you.

You do realize you kind of went on the attack after your question was answered by only dru and I. I'm sure how you can see it's difficult for the two of us to believe your comments weren't directed at us.

pwaldo
08-23-2012, 07:02 PM

This. Any other answer is wrong.

There are a lot of state people who do things wrong that never make the news. Consider this story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2189336/State-Rep-choked-punched-wife-drove-away-drunk.html

Pennsylvania state Democrat beat and choked his wife then drove away drunk....seemingly would be a big story since Democrats portray themselves as the party of women but even though what he did was illegal and wrong it gets no cover because he is a nobody. If this was a Democrat Senator or Governor this would be on the TV 24/7 for the past couple of days.

shrewsbury
08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
wickabee, again, if anyone thinks it's ok for a 17 to have oral sex with a 55 year old, they are sick and need help.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 10:18 AM

how exactly did he molest 17 year old. From what I gathered he placed an ad, and the 17 year old replied and they set a place to met and the 17 year old came on his own and they did what they did. Has the 17 year old said that he was forced to do something he didn't want to? From what I read he hasn't. He consented to the sexual encounter.

Do you think there should be laws that forbid people within the legal age of consent to still not be allowed to have sex with someone else of a certain age? Should a 20 year old not be allowed to hook up or date a person who is 60? Once a person is of legal age of consent then the act of sex, as long as it's consensual, is not breaking any law. I haven't read anything that says the 17 year old was forced to do something he didn't want to do.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 10:24 AM
wickabee, again, if anyone thinks it's ok for a 17 to have oral sex with a 55 year old, they are sick and need help.

What's your opinion of an age range to where it wouldn't be "sick"?

Does the fact that you find it sick means it should be illegal? If the guy was 18 (the typical age of consent) would you have an issue with it?

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 10:26 AM
how exactly did he molest 17 year old. From what I gathered he placed an ad, and the 17 year old replied and they set a place to met and the 17 year old came on his own and they did what they did. Has the 17 year old said that he was forced to do something he didn't want to? From what I read he hasn't. He consented to the sexual encounter.

Do you think there should be laws that forbid people within the legal age of consent to still not be allowed to have sex with someone else of a certain age? Should a 20 year old not be allowed to hook up or date a person who is 60? Once a person is of legal age of consent then the act of sex, as long as it's consensual, is not breaking any law. I haven't read anything that says the 17 year old was forced to do something he didn't want to do.

Not to bring religion into this but both of them should thank God that they are around to live to tell the story. You are really taking your life in your own hands if you place an ad in craigslist looking for sex with total strangers.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Not to bring religion into this but both of them should thank God that they are around to live to tell the story. You are really taking your life in your own hands if you place an ad in craigslist looking for sex with total strangers.

I know people who have done it. There is a risk but the odds are low that you'd run into someone like the craigslist killer. As far as contracting an STD, I'm sure the odds are the same as if you find someone out and about.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 11:10 AM
Let me just say that all of my previous comments aren't condoning sex in public. Had this taken place where minors have witnessed it would be a different matter all together.

Wickabee
08-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Right. That's not my concern at the moment.
My concern is you attacking myself and dru (check out the posts in question, you'll see why I don't believe it wasn't directed at us) and then tried to sell that it wasn't directed at us. It clearly was.

But I digress.

duwal
08-24-2012, 02:02 PM
What's your opinion of an age range to where it wouldn't be "sick"?

Does the fact that you find it sick means it should be illegal? If the guy was 18 (the typical age of consent) would you have an issue with it?

two very good questions. And shrewsbury, do you also consider the 17 year old that sought out to connect and meet up with the older man sick as well?

And I'll say, I was one that was very adamant about Trayvon not being considered a 'child' and same in this case here. Honestly if someone called any of us a child when we were 17 I would hope we would all feel a bit insulted that someone would think that. Somehow 17 is a child yet 18 we can sign up to the military and risk our lives going to war. At 17 we're children but at 16 we have the ability to get into a car and drive. If we were really children no one would give us the opportunity to drive and risk other peoples lives. I bet at 17 most of us had some kind of job. Ah but there are child labor laws where at a certain age you are not considered a child in the work force anymore

shrewsbury
08-24-2012, 03:18 PM
no i would consider him a child, and yeah, he needs help as well.

age range would be not include a grown mature man and a child.

wickabee, if you and dru think it is ok, then i will have to stand by my words, and i could care less if they were directed at you or not. but i have a feeling you do not think it is ok, so that is why i stated it was not directed at you, only those that approve of a grown man and a child having any type of sex.

hopefully neither of you will ever mentor a child, because if this was ok with you, then you have no business being a mentor.

i could care less who stands against me, i am for the children, not being cool on a website.

Wickabee
08-24-2012, 03:25 PM
Shrew. If it wasn't directed at us, why was it posted after only the two of us responded? Were you resondinf to non existent posts?
No. You were responding to the two of us and it was an insult.
Just admit you made a mistake.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 03:26 PM
i could care less who stands against me, i am for the children, not being cool on a website.

Agreed. That is why I am for the coward who killed trayvon martin to be bought to justice, the killer of those kids in norway to get a taste of jailhouse justice and anyone who sexually takes advantage of a child to be bought to justice. However even though both parties made some poor if not risky choices, there was no case of child abuse per this story.

Wickabee
08-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Careful veg. That sounds like "sick person" talk...

shrewsbury
08-24-2012, 03:57 PM
again, wickabee, i appreciate your honesty, but i stand by what i said, and it is not wrong in any way. be mad all you want, but the truth hurts, deal with it. and veggie can be included if he thinks it is ok for a 17 year old and a 55 year old to have sex. i hope none of you ever mentor a child, because you have no clue what you are talking about, and would ruin another child's life if you tell them this is ok.

Wickabee
08-24-2012, 04:02 PM
again, wickabee, i appreciate your honesty, but i stand by what i said, and it is not wrong in any way. be mad all you want, but the truth hurts, deal with it.
That's well and good, but you made a pretty heinous and false accusation based on things that were never said by the two of us. As such, I have no problem with your statement, just that it was directed at two people who did not deserve your accusation and now that you won't admit your mistake.

and veggie can be included if he thinks it is ok for a 17 year old and a 55 year old to have sex. i hope none of you ever mentor a child, because you have no clue what you are talking about, and would ruin another child's life if you tell them this is ok.
I hope you never mentor a child because that child won't be able to comprehend the written word, as you apparently cannot. No one said it was "okay" everyone said it's "legal" which it is.

You want to talk sick people? How about those who make accusations of people that go directly against what was said. THAT is sick, as it takes nothing but that person's own twisted mind into consideration and nothing else. It paints people as "sick" despite what they've ACTUALLY SAID and just serves to further hatred and idiocy.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
again, wickabee, i appreciate your honesty, but i stand by what i said, and it is not wrong in any way. be mad all you want, but the truth hurts, deal with it. and veggie can be included if he thinks it is ok for a 17 year old and a 55 year old to have sex. i hope none of you ever mentor a child, because you have no clue what you are talking about, and would ruin another child's life if you tell them this is ok.

If you read my thread you will have saw where I said that I would not reccomend that a 55 year old has sex with a 17 year old even though the law says so. Also FTW I am no where near 55 but I will not have sex with a 17 year old either. :thumb:

Wickabee
08-24-2012, 04:06 PM
If you read my thread you will have saw where I said that I would not reccomend that a 55 year old has sex with a 17 year old even though the law says so. Also FTW I am no where near 55 but I will not have sex with a 17 year old either. :thumb:

Don't bother. You already stated it's legal. That makes you "sick" in his twisted mind.

MadMan1978
08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
thread closed
PMs coming