PDA

View Full Version : Anders Behring Breivik gets only 21 years in prison for murdering 77 people

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 09:41 AM
If this isn't the biggest miscarriage of justice I don't know what is.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/norway-killer-to-face-sentence-for-bomb-and-gun-rampage-that-killed-77/2012/08/24/4c36394c-edbd-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html?hpid=z1 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/norway-killer-to-face-sentence-for-bomb-and-gun-rampage-that-killed-77/2012/08/24/4c36394c-edbd-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html?hpid=z1)

pghin08
08-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, that's it?

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 10:13 AM
Isn't that the max sentence over there?

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Isn't that the max sentence over there?

Yeah it's the max. Why isn't the US gov't raising a stink about noraway and trying to tell them they aren't living right for letting this monster get away with killing a bunch of kids and basically getting a slap on the wrist?

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Yeah it's the max. Why isn't the US gov't raising a stink about noraway and trying to tell them they aren't living right for letting this monster get away with killing a bunch of kids and basically getting a slap on the wrist?

Because it's none of our business.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Because it's none of our business.

Right but it was our business to tell sadaam that he wasn't living right. Got ya.

cbuskstwar
08-24-2012, 10:29 AM

I dont know why Obama wouldn't do anything about this, we need him voted out.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM
I dont know why Obama wouldn't do anything about this, we need him voted out.

Why just stop at president obama? Vote all of the idiots from both parties out. And don't replace them with clones like romney. Get someone in office that will actually work to serve the people and make our country a better place.

tndcollectables
08-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Right but it was our business to tell sadaam that he wasn't living right. Got ya.

Its because they don't have oil.

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Completely irrelevant to this discussion.

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 10:39 AM
Its because they don't have oil.

So we went to Iraq and took all of the oil?

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Completely irrelevant to this discussion.

No it's not. How can some mad man slaughter 77 people most of them kids and gets a sentence that amounts to a slap on the wrist. That shows that noraway is an unjust country and kids can easily be persecuted. How can the US get off on picking and chosing what gov'ts are living right and which are corrupt and need to be overturned? Who made the united states the ruler of the entire world? Where is the justice for all of these innocent kids who died because of religious bigotry? If this would have happened in a middle eastern country america would be preparing for another war.

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 10:52 AM
No it's not. How can some mad man slaughter 77 people most of them kids and gets a sentence that amounts to a slap on the wrist. That shows that noraway is an unjust country and kids can easily be persecuted. How can the US get off on picking and chosing what gov'ts are living right and which are corrupt and need to be overturned? Who made the united states the ruler of the entire world? Where is the justice for all of these innocent kids who died because of religious bigotry? If this would have happened in a middle eastern country america would be preparing for another war.

Where are you getting all of this nonsense? Terrorist attacks kill innocent people in Middle Eastern countries seemingly every day. You don't see us invading Libya, Syria, Egypt, Jordan, Algeria, Iran, etc.

habsheaven
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I am pretty sure that the 21 year sentence is the mandatory minimum sentence for murder. When the 21 years are up he won't automatically be given his freedom. Much like up here in Canada, we have a "dangerous offender" designation which means if you are declared a dangerous offender you can be held indefinitely. I am confident this guy will never see another free day in his life.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Where are you getting all of this nonsense? Terrorist attacks kill innocent people in Middle Eastern countries seemingly every day. You don't see us invading Libya, Syria, Egypt, Jordan, Algeria, Iran, etc.

Not because the US gov't along with their bff Israel dosen't want to.

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Not because the US gov't along with their bff Israel dosen't want to.

Please stop with these nonsensical responses.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Please stop with these nonsensical responses.

So Israel isn't a blood thirsty country looking to pick a fight with a weaker country (Iran) and the US isn't egging them on?

habsheaven
08-24-2012, 11:09 AM
It's pretty bad when the OP cannot even stay on topic. Why do I bother to post at all? SMH.

ensbergcollector
08-24-2012, 11:10 AM

categorically false. people in middle eastern countries are put to death for all kinds of things, including not being muslim, but the US doesn't invade or attack. i'm a little lost at you comparing iraq murdering 200,000+ citizens versus us disagreeing with the length of this man's sentence.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:13 AM
categorically false. people in middle eastern countries are put to death for all kinds of things, including not being muslim, but the US doesn't invade or attack. i'm a little lost at you comparing iraq murdering 200,000+ citizens versus us disagreeing with the length of this man's sentence.

This is an act of injustice against innocent children. I am outraged. I have a problem whenever anyone murders a child regardless of the child or the predator's race, religion, sexual preference, etc.

habsheaven
08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
This is an act of injustice against innocent children. I am outraged. I have a problem whenever anyone murders a child regardless of the child or the predator's race, religion, sexual preference, etc.

Your post is an act of "American arrogance" that was just talked about in another thread. Who are you to tell an entire country that their system of justice is wrong? Especially when you do not understand how their system of justice actually works.

tndcollectables
08-24-2012, 11:19 AM

No but its everyones response to why we went there.

*censored*
08-24-2012, 11:22 AM
It's pretty bad when the OP cannot even stay on topic. Why do I bother to post at all? SMH.

CHURCH!!!!! :love0030::love0030:

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Your post is an act of "American arrogance" that was just talked about in another thread. Who are you to tell an entire country that their system of justice is wrong? Especially when you do not understand how their system of justice actually works.

You really don't think I am advocating war with noraway do you? I know that I was veering off topic and I do apologize for it but I was drawing a parallel to how can america tell Iraq (a muslim middle eastern country who majority of its citizens are of color) that they are not living right but noraway (a european majority christian country) can give some guy a slap on the wrist for killing kids and the us not jump in and say they are not living right. That is the hyprocracy that I was talking about. Yes I will admit that I was unaware that in canada and other places that a violent offender can be held indefitenly after their sentence is over if they are deemed a threat to society. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. Carry on.

tndcollectables
08-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Please don't say American arrogance, its his arrogance in not understanding their judical system.

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 11:24 AM

Actually, I think it's not. I believe mrv is trying to say that he expects America to engage in such an act, and he is puzzled as to why it hasn't. Just like in seemingly all of mrv's arguments, he assumes that his belief of what someone else believes is fact and expects posters to offer some sort of response.

tndcollectables
08-24-2012, 11:28 AM
You really don't think I am advocating war with noraway do you? I know that I was veering off topic and I do apologize for it but I was drawing a parallel to how can america tell Iraq (a muslim middle eastern country who majority of its citizens are of color) that they are not living right but noraway (a european majority christian country) can give some guy a slap on the wrist for killing kids and the us not jump in and say they are not living right. That is the hyprocracy that I was talking about. Yes I will admit that I was unaware that in canada and other places that a violent offender can be held indefitenly after their sentence is over if they are deemed a threat to society. I am man enough to admit when I am wrong. Carry on.

I know this is off topic but why don't you capitilize America and Canada like you do Iraq? To me that is offensive, I know I defended this country and your right to speak your piece. But please show just as much respect to capitalize America and Canada just as you seem to do with Iraq.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Actually, I think it's not. I believe mrv is trying to say that he expects America to engage in such an act, and he is puzzled as to why it hasn't. Just like in seemingly all of mrv's arguments, he assumes that his belief of what someone else believes is fact and expects posters to offer some sort of response.

Wrong again taxman. I was being fecetious and do not want the united states to go to war with noraway, iran, canada or any where else. I was just making a point about america's hyprocracy and that I was upset that a monster killed a bunch of kids. On the cool that scumbag needs to be tourted and executed. Im not sure about how jails in noraway are but let's hope that he gets a taste of some jailhouse justice while locked up.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I know this is off topic but why don't you capitilize America and Canada like you do Iraq? To me that is offensive, I know I defended this country and your right to speak your piece. But please show just as much respect to capitalize America and Canada just as you seem to do with Iraq.

Nothing personal. Sometimes I capatilize names sometimes I don't. It's more of a grammar issue than a country issue. No need to take it personal.

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 11:33 AM
Wrong again taxman. I was being fecetious and do not want the united states to go to war with noraway, iran, canada or any where else. I was just making a point about america's hyprocracy and that I was upset that a monster killed a bunch of kids. On the cool that scumbag needs to be tourted and executed. Im not sure about how jails in noraway are but let's hope that he gets a taste of some jailhouse justice while locked up.

Your point on hypocrisy misses me. This is not even close to being analogous with the Iraq situation (regardless of your position on it).

ensbergcollector
08-24-2012, 11:37 AM

oh, i get it, so now we aren't going to norway because we are racist. gotcha. we were willing to invade a country of color but not a white christian country. oh, ok.

Star_Cards
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
wow. that seems light to me. Shows the difference in their justice system from ours.

I'm not sure why the United States would have much to say about it. It's not really any of our business. Just like it's not up to another country to influence our legal system.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:43 AM
oh, i get it, so now we aren't going to norway because we are racist. gotcha. we were willing to invade a country of color but not a white christian country. oh, ok.

If you look at all the wars that the united states have been involved with since the 1950s how many european countries did america go to war against? I rest my case.

ensbergcollector
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
If you look at all the wars that the united states have been involved with since the 1950s how many european countries did american go to war against? I rest my case.

if you look at all the wars that the united states has been involved with since the 1950's, how many times have we had reason to go to war with a European country? I rest my case.

you are comparing the disagreement with one countries justice system with the government approved murder of hundreds of thousands of citizens. you have no leg to stand on

AUTaxMan
08-24-2012, 11:48 AM
I think mrv might actually be President Obama.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:49 AM
if you look at all the wars that the united states has been involved with since the 1950's, how many times have we had reason to go to war with a European country? I rest my case.

you are comparing the disagreement with one countries justice system with the government approved murder of hundreds of thousands of citizens. you have no leg to stand on

Russia mabey. Or is it that America didn't have it in them to go toe to toe with someone on their equal and wanted to pick on a weaker country with oil instead.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I think mrv might actually be President Obama.

Coming from you I will take that as a compliment. :winking0071:

pwaldo
08-26-2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2192920/Anders-Breivik-sentenced-Mother-teenager-slain-attacks-speaks-out.html

Anders Breivik starts each day in Ila Prison with a wholesome early breakfast of porridge or homemade brown bread served with cheese or ham, and a jug of black coffee.

The isolated prisoner then spends time exercising at his adjoining gym, where he has a treadmill. He enjoys a ‘suite’ of three adjoining 86 sq ft cells - bedroom, gym and a study containing a computer without internet access.

He then reads the newspapers and plays a non-violent computer game, or watches a DVD or TV show on one of 15 channels.

The killer is able to ring a room-service bell to have cigarettes delivered and often enjoys some fresh air in an enclosed yard after lunch.

He is also allowed to write letters, or practice meditation, before a dinner of typical Norwegian fare such as meatballs and potatoes, or cod.

Those who have observed him say he sleeps soundly at night.

A court psychiatrist who assessed Breivik said the killer had compared prison to being in ‘kindergarten’.

A prisoner as dangerous as him would normally have been sent to Ringerike, Norway’s highest security prison, but this was ruled out because of its location overlooking Utoya.

The leniency with which he is being treated has outraged some in Norway but is entirely in keeping with the country’s penal system, one of the most ‘progressive’ in Europe. The focus is on rehabilitation rather than punishment.

Just WOW if this is true

JustAlex
08-26-2012, 10:21 PM
I am pretty sure that the 21 year sentence is the mandatory minimum sentence for murder. When the 21 years are up he won't automatically be given his freedom. Much like up here in Canada, we have a "dangerous offender" designation which means if you are declared a dangerous offender you can be held indefinitely. I am confident this guy will never see another free day in his life.
^+1,000,000!

BTW, I have gotten a kick reading comments on Yahoo and other conservative places about this ruling.

The funny thing is that for MONTHS they have already been reporting that 21 years was the MAXIMUM that Brevik could receive and now everyone is acting so surprised!

Norway's judicial system is so superior compared to the U.S which is has overcrowded prisons, executing people left and right, and yet the crime rate is still very high!

The U.S should take a lesson from Norway!

drtom2005
08-26-2012, 11:31 PM

No not all of the oil, but it was a big factor.

mrveggieman
08-27-2012, 08:41 AM
^+1,000,000!

BTW, I have gotten a kick reading comments on Yahoo and other conservative places about this ruling.

The funny thing is that for MONTHS they have already been reporting that 21 years was the MAXIMUM that Brevik could receive and now everyone is acting so surprised!

Norway's judicial system is so superior compared to the U.S which is has overcrowded prisons, executing people left and right, and yet the crime rate is still very high!

The U.S should take a lesson from Norway!

While I agree that we lock too many people up in america Im not going to say that this a liberal or conservative thing but if you cowardly kill a bunch of kids you need to be tourtured and executed. I wanted to throw up when I read how good this guy has in "prison". Let someone kill a bunch of kids in america and I guarantee that he wouldn't last 1 night when he goes up state.

JustAlex
08-27-2012, 09:22 AM
While I agree that we lock too many people up in america Im not going to say that this a liberal or conservative thing but if you cowardly kill a bunch of kids you need to be tourtured and executed. I wanted to throw up when I read how good this guy has in "prison". Let someone kill a bunch of kids in america and he would last 1 night when he goes up state.
OK, I get that, and you know what, I also wouldn't mind seeing this guy be executed, but that's only because we are 100% sure he really did do this heinous crime and the crime was very large in nature.

However, here's the thing....

The U.S has proven to be VERY ineffective in it's judicial system, you have rich people who can literally get away with murder while poor people are almost always given ridiculous sentences and it has caused major overcrowded prisons.

As for capital murder.....I'm against it.

The problem is that THERE have been people on death row that were later found to be innocent thanks to DNA evidence, now think about all the people that were executed while being innocent BEFORE the discovery of DNA?

As for Norway's prison system.....watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgHdGr4aQoU&feature=fvwrel

Norway Vs. U.S Intentional Homicides

0.6 Intentional Homicides in Norway per 100,000 people

5 Intentional Homicides in the U.S per 100,000 people.....that's 10 times more than Norway

Norway Vs. U.S Incarceration Rate

Norway: 71 out of 100,000 people.

U.S: 743 out of 100,000 people.......Again that's 10 times MORE than Norway!!!

Norway vs. U.S in recidivism rate

Norway.....20%
U.S ........50-60%

Conclusion......NORWAY ROCKS!

Tivo32
08-27-2012, 10:40 AM

5 Intentional Homicides in the U.S per 100,000 people.....that's 10 times more than Norway

Norway.....20%
U.S ........50-60%

I saw this video a couple months ago and of course my first reaction is "umm what? Why do murderers and the like get this kind of treatment?" But as I watched more and then read the same numbers on crime and imprisonment rates in Norway, obviously something is working with how they're doing it. We can try to write it off a thousand different ways, but Norway is doing something right. We may not like it, we may wish to see murderers (especially this guy) "pay" for what they did. But making people pay doesn't fix what they did. It doesn't bring back lost loved ones. The focus should be on not having it happen again.

All of that to say...Alex I agree with you! :cool:

theonedru
08-27-2012, 04:00 PM

The USA helped put him in power, they had to fix their mistake. Big difference between this and that

Wickabee
08-27-2012, 04:04 PM
The USA helped put him in power, they had to fix their mistake. Big difference between this and that

I guess it's easier to admit previous mistakes than oil-greed.

Hairylemon
08-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Late to the party I know but here are a couple of points that may have been missed.

1. Although 21 years is the maximum sentence, Norways Judicial system can add five years to the sentence once it is nearly complete,so in effect they will just keep adding on the five years and he will never see the outside again.

2. He has three cells because he is going to be kept in solitary confinment for the rest of his life. Norways prison system seems lightweight to many,but as Alex said it seems to work.

3. It's Norway not noraway!!!!!

shrewsbury
08-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Why just stop at president obama? Vote all of the idiots from both parties out. And don't replace them with clones like romney. Get someone in office that will actually work to serve the people and make our country a better place.

veggie, great post!!!!

tutall
08-28-2012, 06:12 PM
OK, I get that, and you know what, I also wouldn't mind seeing this guy be executed, but that's only because we are 100% sure he really did do this heinous crime and the crime was very large in nature.

However, here's the thing....

The U.S has proven to be VERY ineffective in it's judicial system, you have rich people who can literally get away with murder while poor people are almost always given ridiculous sentences and it has caused major overcrowded prisons.

As for capital murder.....I'm against it.

The problem is that THERE have been people on death row that were later found to be innocent thanks to DNA evidence, now think about all the people that were executed while being innocent BEFORE the discovery of DNA?

Norway.....20%
U.S ........50-60%

I think those numbers have more to do with society and economics than the judicial system.