PDA

View Full Version : Mass shooting near Empire State Building

*censored*
08-24-2012, 10:17 AM
On all news channels right now, looks like 2 dead including the gunman, 10 others wounded.

No reports yet on weapon involved, motive, or any answers to the standard questions that come with these things.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.businessinsider.com/three-people-reportedly-shot-outside-the-empire-state-building-2012-8

habsheaven
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I think I am starting to suffer from "shooting thread" fatigue.

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Word on the streets says that all of these recent shootings are a set up to strip us of our second amendments rights. And before you Obama haters start coming out at the mouth from what I read this was already planned long before Obama took office.

ensbergcollector
08-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Word on the streets says that all of these recent shootings are a set up to strip us of our second amendments rights. And before you Obama haters start coming out at the mouth from what I read this was already planned long before Obama took office.

can i ask what you mean by word on the street? you seem to have some inside information about a very wide spread conspiracy. just wondering where you are hearing this and reading this.

*censored*
08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Latest from Bloomberg's press conference on CNN...

Shooter is Jeffrey Johnson. He was going after a former co-worker, killed him. 45-caliber automatic handgun. Went on the run with cops chasing him, he tried to shoot at them, cops shot and killed him.

Some of those wounded may have been shot by the police accidentally. Perhaps this will get Bloomberg to shut the hell up about banning private gun ownership because obviously the "trained professionals" caused just as much damage with them here (if it's true the people were shot by the cops).

mrveggieman
08-24-2012, 11:47 AM
can i ask what you mean by word on the street? you seem to have some inside information about a very wide spread conspiracy. just wondering where you are hearing this and reading this.

Different political websites. Try doing a quick google search.

pghin08
08-24-2012, 11:56 AM

No.

JustAlex
08-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I think I am starting to suffer from "shooting thread" fatigue.
Nah, it's normal.

There is no story here folks, just another regular day in the greatest country in the world.

God Bless the U.S.A!!!!

JustAlex
08-25-2012, 05:24 AM
Oh BTW, for the people who keep thinking that more guns would actually be safer......please note that the police tried to gun this guy down and they accidentally shot innocent people and by SHEER LUCK none of them died.

So, if PROFESSIONAL Cops can miss the gunman and injure civilians, how much more likely would it be for a regular Joe to miss the gunman and have bodies lying all over the streets?

So, let's guess when the next mass shooting will happen, maybe I should get a US map and randomly point somewhere, the way things are going, I have a better shot (no pun intended) to being right than winning the Lotto.

*censored*
08-25-2012, 01:40 PM
So basically guns in the hands of anyone and everyone is bad because the average person may not be competent with one.

But as proven by the "collateral damage" here, guns only in the hands of trained professionals doesn't exactly work either.

What do you propose we do?

Wickabee
08-25-2012, 01:42 PM
So basically guns in the hands of anyone and everyone is bad because the average person may not be competent with one.

But as proven by the "collateral damage" here, guns only in the hands of trained professionals doesn't exactly work either.

What do you propose we do?

The average person is likely to hit someone who would otherwise be fine.
Trained officers are also likely to hit someone who would otherwise be fine.
Are you saying we're better off with more people being randomly hit in crossfire?
I guess it's a matter of why should the police have all the fun?

*censored*
08-25-2012, 01:45 PM
The problem I have with major restrictions on gun ownership is that the police are pretty much useless in crime prevention, only in finding the perpetrator for already committed crimes. If you want safety, you need to take it into your own hands.

Wickabee
08-25-2012, 01:47 PM
The problem I have with major restrictions on gun ownership is that the police are pretty much useless in crime prevention, only in finding the perpetrator for already committed crimes. If you want safety, you need to take it into your own hands.
Guns provide most owners with a very false sense of "safety".

tpeichel
08-26-2012, 02:52 AM
Mass shooting indeed. Reports are that the shooter only shot his boss three times and that the nine other civilians were shot by the police.

ensbergcollector
08-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Guns provide most owners with a very false sense of "safety".

not those who have actually taken the time to learn and be trained.

Wickabee
08-26-2012, 12:40 PM
not those who have actually taken the time to learn and be trained.
I guess you're right. Those 9 people that the police shot would probably disagree, though, as police receive "proper training".
I guess those 9 people almost killed by trained professionals with guns should have been carrying their own guns? I guess if they started shooting too then everything would be okay and they wouldn't have been hit, right?

Yeah

ensbergcollector
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I guess you're right. Those 9 people that the police shot would probably disagree, though, as police receive "proper training".
I guess those 9 people almost killed by trained professionals with guns should have been carrying their own guns? I guess if they started shooting too then everything would be okay and they wouldn't have been hit, right?

Yeah

not what i was referring to. you said that guns give people a false sense of security. I was saying that those who have taken to time to be trained and learn, actually have a real sense of security, not a false one. I wasn't saying anything about people with guns who are trained can't mess up.

Wickabee
08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
not what i was referring to. you said that guns give people a false sense of security. I was saying that those who have taken to time to be trained and learn, actually have a real sense of security, not a false one. I wasn't saying anything about people with guns who are trained can't mess up.

If they can screw up, and while panicking most people do, then it's a false sense of security.

mrveggieman
08-27-2012, 08:25 AM
I remember that idiot mayor of nyc saying that cops should go on strike until all the civillians give up their guns. A better idea would be for all civillians to give up their guns after all cops and military give up theirs.

mrveggieman
08-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Report shooter was a Georgia native:

http://www.ajc.com/news/report-ny-shooting-suspect-1507862.html

Not that this mattered but I just wanted to put it out there since it was in my local paper. Carry on.

indexed
08-28-2012, 08:45 AM
If they can screw up, and while panicking most people do, then it's a false sense of security.

Feeling a bit INsecure at all? No one is promised the next day. Guns are a part of reality, get over it. Despite a few recent mass shooting they are way way down statistically over the past 25+ years. Europe has very strict gun control, I remember a recent attacker in one of those countries that killed like 90 people.
You're beliefs don't make anyone safer, including yourself believe it or not. Imagine the first 50 years after the invention of the gun how many people law enforcement "accidentally" shot? Im sure its down 99.9% from those numbers. Reality doesn't need to be perfect.

Wickabee
08-28-2012, 12:05 PM
Feeling a bit INsecure at all? No one is promised the next day. Guns are a part of reality, get over it. Despite a few recent mass shooting they are way way down statistically over the past 25+ years. Europe has very strict gun control, I remember a recent attacker in one of those countries that killed like 90 people.
You're beliefs don't make anyone safer, including yourself believe it or not. Imagine the first 50 years after the invention of the gun how many people law enforcement "accidentally" shot? Im sure its down 99.9% from those numbers. Reality doesn't need to be perfect.

For the record, I'm not against gun ownership in any way.
You guys need better control, though.

Wickabee
08-28-2012, 12:06 PM

You guys need better control, though. And I'm not the one who needs a gun to feel secure, unlike (I'm assuming) my insecure friend here.

ensbergcollector
08-28-2012, 12:13 PM
You guys need better control, though.

i hear a lot of people talking about "better control" but what would you propose?

Wickabee
08-28-2012, 12:19 PM
i hear a lot of people talking about "better control" but what would you propose?

I'm not a lawmaker and I don't have to be one to realize you guys do have a problem.

mrveggieman
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM

If you need to go through testing to make sure you are capable of operating a motor vehicle why not have a similiar program in place to obtain a gun liscence?

habsheaven
08-28-2012, 12:22 PM

Better control for me would involve restricting handgun possession to your own private property.

mrveggieman
08-28-2012, 12:34 PM
Better control for me would involve restricting handgun possession to your own private property.

I disagree with that. What about a woman who is being stalked by her ex-husband? What about someone who lives in a dangerous neighboorhood? What about someone who is not a cop but has a dangerous job and needs to carry a firearm for protection? What about if some nut goes off in a public place and the police are no where to be found?

Wickabee
08-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I disagree with that. What about a woman who is being stalked by her ex-husband?
mace, tazers

What about someone who lives in a dangerous neighboorhood?
mace, tazers

What about someone who is not a cop but has a dangerous job and needs to carry a firearm for protection?
I would imagine jobs that need guns would be regulated differently than everyday gun owners.

What about if some nut goes off in a public place and the police are no where to be found?
Well, if this shooting is any indication, less people will be shot.

mrveggieman
08-28-2012, 12:44 PM
mace, tazers

mace, tazers

I would imagine jobs that need guns would be regulated differently than everyday gun owners.

So explain to me again how you are going to take down a thug who is armed with a .357 with a taser.

Wickabee
08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
So explain to me again how you are going to take down a thug who is armed with a .357 with a taser.

If you can't hit him with a tazer before he does something you're not going to be able to shoot him either.

mrveggieman
08-28-2012, 12:56 PM
If you can't hit him with a tazer before he does something you're not going to be able to shoot him either.

Mabey but I like me chances with a fair fight compared to bring a knife to a gun fight if you know what I mean. :winking0071:

Wickabee
08-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Mabey but I like me chances with a fair fight compared to bring a knife to a gun fight if you know what I mean. :winking0071:

A tazer works exactly like a gun. There's no real difference to the user. The difference is he gets 50,000 volts instead of a bullet.

So comparing it to a knife is inaccurate. If a tazer is to be compared to anything, it's a gun. In fact, if you can't get him with a tazer before something happens, you're WAY better off with a knife than a gun.