PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Delay Paying for Transactions?

Golden Schaub
08-27-2012, 06:15 PM
I have noticed an increase lately on ebay and message boards that people who purchase stuff delay in paying for their transactions without mentioning the delay to the seller. I understand the rules on ebay, but on message boards I cannot understand this. I always pay the same day I purchase an item or agree to purchase a card. I am not so hard nosed that if I am informed in the deal making process about a possible delay, but to make the deal and then delay is kind of odd to me. I do appreciate those who are fast with their payment as I am, but why wait if you agree to purchase a card. I have updated my signature for future transactions based on this.

Oh, read my feedback if you don't believe I pay and ship very fast.

texastexanCC
08-27-2012, 06:28 PM
I agree. I feel like if a transaction is struck on here it should be paid for rather quickly and if the payment can not be paid in a timely fashion the the buyer should notify the seller. However SCF requires payment be made in 3 days I think. But even that is to long in my opinion. This whole site is pretty much set up on an honor system and the key to everything is communication.

Also what confuses me is when someone makes an offer like they have the money and then you set up the deal expecting payment rather soon and then nothing. No payment and no communication and then 2-3 days later they send you a message apologizing for the delay with some wacky excuse. If you dont have the funds at the time of the offer no problem just notify me during the negotiations that you wont be able to make payment until such and such date. Most people have no problem holding a card for someone as long is theres effect and efficient communication.

Golden Schaub
08-27-2012, 06:49 PM
I agree. I feel like if a transaction is struck on here it should be paid for rather quickly and if the payment can not be paid in a timely fashion the the buyer should notify the seller. However SCF requires payment be made in 3 days I think. But even that is to long in my opinion. This whole site is pretty much set up on an honor system and the key to everything is communication.

Also what confuses me is when someone makes an offer like they have the money and then you set up the deal expecting payment rather soon and then nothing. No payment and no communication and then 2-3 days later they send you a message apologizing for the delay with some wacky excuse. If you dont have the funds at the time of the offer no problem just notify me during the negotiations that you wont be able to make payment until such and such date. Most people have no problem holding a card for someone as long is theres effect and efficient communication.

Your second point is the reason I put what I did in my signature. If they are buying from me, they post to show they agree to deal. I will begin to ask how soon they will pay for items purchased because I pay as soon as I get the paypal address which should be the norm. I had one person ask me to hold for 2 weeks. I don't think so. I put them on a growing list.

unitasfan
08-27-2012, 08:20 PM
lol...diapers, groceries, doctors bills, did i mention it cost 90 bucks to fill up my truck? but hey its paid for, car crapped out, car wreck, mom died,... forgot i bid on that, wife decided she wanted a coach purse this week "oh did i forget to mention that honey?", junior decides he wants to do baseball, football, band and basketball this year....not everyone makes wise decisions on how they spend money...(hence my cardboard crack addiction and on going disputes with my wife on how we spend the money i make...)

i to try to pay immediately but sometimes i agree to a trade, wait 2 hours for someone to confirm that trade or purchase and now its 10pm i gotta be up at 4am and i dont get home til after 4 pm, and depending on what the wife has waiting for me i just may not be able to get on the computer. did i mention that cell phone use on company time is against company policy (how guys can be at work and have time to browse a website is beyond me)and the fact that with 3 kids an iphone seems kinda expensive? lol...i miss my youth and freedom but love my family. many times i have passed on something i wanted because i wasnt sure what the wife has spent and i am grateful to the members who can wait a day or 2 so i can make sure i got funds without getting the wife all fired up

unitasfan
08-27-2012, 08:23 PM
i like this thread lol

74Razor
08-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I personally only buy when I have the funds. I feel like such a kid when I win an EBay auction or make a trade on this site. I pay or send out my cards ASAP and most of the time hope the seller doesn't delay in sending out my product.

Joncamburn
08-27-2012, 09:38 PM
I totally agree, if I can also add something that i have seen a lot of recently, threads saying "I over spent of ebay, buy my stuff to help me pay for the stuff I bought", why not just spend the money that you have currently, am I the only one that makes sense to?

BradyToMoss
08-29-2012, 08:46 AM
I totally agree, if I can also add something that i have seen a lot of recently, threads saying "I over spent of ebay, buy my stuff to help me pay for the stuff I bought", why not just spend the money that you have currently, am I the only one that makes sense to?

we live in an instant gratification society which leads to the above. same thing with credit card debt in most cases.

mrveggieman
08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
What I do is plan bid on ebay items that end from Friday to Monday. That way I can pay on Tuesday when I get paid. As far as trades purchase here I am pretty upfront about when/what I am going to send and I never accept/post a trade until I have the item in hand and I can send it off either that same day or the following business day. It would be nice of buyers/sellers could do the same but that is not always the case. The only thing that I ask for is an open line of communication.

duane1969
08-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Your second point is the reason I put what I did in my signature. If they are buying from me, they post to show they agree to deal. I will begin to ask how soon they will pay for items purchased because I pay as soon as I get the paypal address which should be the norm. I had one person ask me to hold for 2 weeks. I don't think so. I put them on a growing list.

Unfortunately we have a site policy against members creating their own rules for transactions. Site policy is 3 days. If you want payment that same day simply ask the person if they can pay that day. The simple reality is that even if someone says they will pay that day, they don't have to. As long as they are following site policy and pay within 3 days then they are fine.

Furthermore, when I see someone with a sig like yours I automatically assume that they will be difficult to deal with and I look elsewhere.

angel0430
08-30-2012, 10:16 AM
What I dont like is that they take 3 days to pay you but ehtn they are the first to complain about shipping. I do not ship before payment unless it is an already estaclished member in here.

Golden Schaub
08-30-2012, 12:51 PM
totally understand the rules but why do different from what you would do on an inperson transaction? I have had people back out of deals and then have to go through dispute proc2ss 2hen i postrd then they never responded. i understand you not wan4ing to deal with a person with a eignature like mine but check my feedback. I am one of the eweier and FASTEST to pay on SCF.

donbickle707
08-31-2012, 12:17 AM
I have issues with being able to make it to the bank on friday when I get paid, so I will often purchase a card on the weekend and pay on monday, BUT only when I have my check in hand. I also tell the buyer either before bidding or while it is still in the auction process. If I know ahead of time when the auction will end I have to wait till monday I will tell the seller right away. If I cant pay by monday, I wont bid. Also, I wont say a word about shipping if you had to wait on me for payment, I figure if I took all weekend to pay, then you have all rights to take the whole week to ship out.