PDA

View Full Version : Ex-marine supermarket worker armed with AK-47 shoots workers dead in NJ supermarket

pwaldo
08-31-2012, 05:24 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2196285/Ex-marine-supermarket-worker-armed-AK-47-wearing-camouflage-shoots-dead-including-girl-18-turning-gun-NJ-Mall-row-work.html

The man dressed in camouflage who opened fire with an AK-47 in a New Jersey Pathmark store this morning and fatally shot two co-workers - one of which was an 18-year-old girl - was a decorated ex-Marine a military spokesman said.

Police said 23-year-old Terence S. Tyler, argued with colleagues earlier on Friday morning, left the Old Bridge store for his car, returned around 4 a.m and opened fire on staff who were stacking shelves before the scheduled 6 a.m. opening.

Employees told police they saw Tyler coming towards the entrance of the popular supermarket with his guns and locked the door - but the shooter shot out two windows, walked inside and killed his co-workers and then himself.

he heavily armed staff member fired 16 shots from the AK-47 and killed an 18-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man said Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan.

'Two of the employees were shot and killed,' said Kaplan.

'The others were able to hide and escape.'

Police did not fire any rounds from their weapons as they did not arrive until after Tyler had killed himself.

Tyler, 23, left the U.S. Marines Corp in 2010 and a military spokesman said that he held the rank of lance corporal and was a rifleman.

Before moving to New Jersey, Tyler lived in Brooklyn, but during his time in the military he was stationed in Palms, California.

Despite never serving overseas he received two medals, a Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and a National Defence Service Medal.

On his Facebook page, the ex-Marine posted the chilling words, 'Be Optimistic - All the people you hate are going to eventually die.'

Listed as graduating in 2007 from George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School in Brooklyn, his Facebook page declares his interests to be 'sports and hitting the gym'.

Authorities have so far not released any of the names for the deceased, but neighbours in the London Terrace apartments in New Jersey said that the 23-year-old shooter left the military in 2010

Masase Acheampong, 25, a friend of the gunman said that he was shocked by the shootings and that he was 'a normal kid'.

'That's why I am shocked, I would never have guessed it in a million years.'

duane1969
08-31-2012, 05:34 PM
Guy had mental issues. At some point there needs to be a little blame placed on the mental health care people who are aware that these people are unstable and still send them out into mainstream society. There was a time when people with homocidal tendencies were institutionalized and treated. Now we hand them a bottle of pills and send them off into a society full of people that even sane people feel the urge to kill and then we are shocked when it happens.

Wickabee
08-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Guy had mental issues. At some point there needs to be a little blame placed on the mental health care people who are aware that these people are unstable and still send them out into mainstream society. There was a time when people with homocidal tendencies were institutionalized and treated. Now we hand them a bottle of pills and send them off into a society full of people that even sane people feel the urge to kill and then we are shocked when it happens.

I'm going to get roasted for this, and I know he's an ex-Marine, but why did he have an AK-47? I'm not about to suggest nixing the 2nd, but AK-47s should not be attainable, Marine training or not.

As to this post in particular, what tells you he had mental issues? His friend seems to think he was a pretty normal guy.

joee5
08-31-2012, 06:33 PM
, but why did he have an AK-47?

maybe he brought it with him from Brooklyn where they say he's originally from. BTW, this is less than 4 miles from my house. Sad. RIP to those lost.

Wickabee
08-31-2012, 06:35 PM
maybe he brought it with him from Brooklyn where they say he's originally from.
Okay, but how did he get it? Did he get to keep it after leaving the Marines? He shouldn't have an AK-47. The only reason for those is to kill people.

BTW, this is less than 4 miles from my house. Sad. RIP to those lost.
That is sad. I really hope none of your loved ones were there, though those dead are loved ones of someone, so I guess it`s not really better.

pwaldo
08-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Okay, but how did he get it? Did he get to keep it after leaving the Marines? He shouldn't have an AK-47. The only reason for those is to kill people.

I posted a story this year about a guy in the Bronx using an AK47 to shoot and kill multiple people. I think several were killed and another dozen injured. The non Internet media didn't pick up on it at all and he was at large when I posted the story. I heard jack about the New York police ever catching this guy. Hopefully he was but probably not.

So I'm pretty sure somebody in the Marines would either know a drug dealer or a black market weapons dealer to be able to acquire something like that. Stuff is illegal in this country but it doesn't mean you can't get it. That's just an illusion.

ensbergcollector
08-31-2012, 08:59 PM
i can almost guarantee he didn't get it from the military. i know multiple people who own them and they are legal to buy and own as long as there are certain restrictions (not fully automatic, clip size, etc). not commenting one way or the other on if it should be allowed, just saying, he probably bought it legally and not through the military.

Wickabee
08-31-2012, 10:02 PM
Black market I understand. Anything else I do not.

shrewsbury
08-31-2012, 10:28 PM
they are not hard to get, http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ and this is just one of hundreds of examples

Zimbow
08-31-2012, 11:08 PM
they are not hard to get, http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ and this is just one of hundreds of examples

Yes, there are Ak-47s that are semi-automatic & and there are Ak-47s that are both automatic/semi. The citizen version is strictly semi. You can register through ATF for a Class III license to obtain a fully automatic AK-47.

theonedru
08-31-2012, 11:13 PM
America will never address the issues of gun violence in this country thanks to the ignorance of groups like the NRA and other gun nuts (not talking about the sane normal gun owners) who believe ones right to own a gun supersedes our rights to live peacefully without fear.

shrewsbury
08-31-2012, 11:38 PM
dru, what do you think we could do to limit these violent acts?

i know there are restrictions for felons but what other restriction can we create that would take these guns not only out of the potential nuts hands, but the violent criminals, gangs, and such?

Wickabee
08-31-2012, 11:45 PM
The gangs will always have illegal guns. That's kind of part of being a gang as opposed to a group (among other things, of course) and obviously anyone can get anything, legal or not. I have to wonder though, how many of these incidents would have been avoided with stricter gun control? Not all of them by any means, but I have to think a few.

shrewsbury
08-31-2012, 11:57 PM
i agree, but also would have to wonder how many more deaths would have occurred because of tougher laws.

this gets into the issue with the military and police forces.

we need to have tougher prison systems and prison sentencing. we need to have a larger force going after gangs, illegal drugs and weapons. we need to increase the police force and their training needs to improved for the average officer.

but without racial, religious, and cultural unity there will always be corruption and people claiming prejudice, so this is nearly impossible.

as a conservative i do not see police and military as a large government, but what is needed to protect us and to keep peace. there is a reason they are called "Peace Officers".

Wickabee
09-01-2012, 12:00 AM
i agree, but also would have to wonder how many more deaths would have occurred because of tougher laws.

Your going to have to explain that to me like I'm six because you totally lost me.

theonedru
09-01-2012, 12:08 AM
dru, what do you think we could do to limit these violent acts?

i know there are restrictions for felons but what other restriction can we create that would take these guns not only out of the potential nuts hands, but the violent criminals, gangs, and such?

Well for a start, the majority of illegal guns were once legally owned by some individual or company. We can start by being more vigilant against those who allow their guns to be involved in a crime or just plain stolen. Stop people from improper storage and sales.

shrewsbury
09-01-2012, 12:18 AM
how about this?
if laws were tough enough to stop or discourage the average person from owning a gun or receiving a ccw, then the estimated 2.5 million people who defended themselves with guns may be a lower number.
with 12% of all homicides being committed by an armed citizen defending themselves, this number could also be lower which could be translated as more citizens dying because they could not defend themselves as the results of tougher laws and restrictions.

theonedru
09-01-2012, 01:09 AM
how about this?
if laws were tough enough to stop or discourage the average person from owning a gun or receiving a ccw, then the estimated 2.5 million people who defended themselves with guns may be a lower number.
with 12% of all homicides being committed by an armed citizen defending themselves, this number could also be lower which could be translated as more citizens dying because they could not defend themselves as the results of tougher laws and restrictions.

Makes no difference to me as my ideas would not affect someones ability to defend them self.

mrveggieman
09-04-2012, 08:25 AM
how about this?

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

boba
09-04-2012, 01:49 PM

My neighbor owns an ak-47, him and his family aren't killing anyone.

My guess is you have never lived in farming communities or in the mountains, I live in both. You need to understand that people here need these tools ( preferably handguns over an ak, easier to carry and just more practicable, but thats just my opinion ) to protect themselves from mountain lions, bears ext. Not only that, but to protect their livestock. If you ban handguns - semiautomatic guns, your not just banning them from cities, but from communities like mine that rely on them.