PDA

View Full Version : Occupy protesters block DNC buses while shouting Obama is a traitor

pwaldo
09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/occupy-protesters-block-dnc-buses-184907071--politics.html

On Tuesday, a group of more than 100 protesters shouting "Obama is a traitor" temporarily shut down official bus service that ferries around delegates at the Democratic National Convention. The protesters, some of whom were lying down in the street, were surrounded by Charlotte police, who used their bicycles to build a barrier around the group.

Protesters also shouted that accused Wikileaks source Bradley Manning should be freed. At one point, the protesters raised a tent above their heads and set it on the ground. "Bad news, guys, they've pitched a tent," a police officer joked. "They might be here for the duration."

Delegates and convention-goers who were forced to wait for buses to be rerouted expressed surprise that the Occupy presence has been stronger at the DNC than the Republican convention in Tampa last week. "I didn't see them at the Republican convention," said Wandra Ashley-Williams, vice president of the Maryland State Conference NAACP. "That's not good."

theonedru
09-04-2012, 07:53 PM
How about all the Occupy protesters go get some work and start contributing to society, then if you want to complain you can have that right. Most of them are either on some form of gov't handout or part of the 1%, they would have to be in order to camp out for extended periods without a visible means of income.

JustAlex
09-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Seriously.....you know nothing about them, but the sweeping generalizations you continue to make on them is laughable! <br />
<br />
I ALREADY told you that most of them wouldn't even QUALIFY for most...

shrewsbury
09-04-2012, 08:39 PM
the act is idiotic, the idea behind it may not be.

JustAlex
09-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Now let me respond to the article....

Many OWS protesters are very angry at the Obama administration, and they should be, they were promised things which Obama did NOT follow through.

Make NO MISTAKE......the majority of the OWS protesters are NOT going to be voting for Romney just because they have been hurt by Obama, that is part of the False Dichotomy that is plaguing this country.

theonedru
09-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Bolded part - Th fact they are able to protest for weeks on end with no visible means of support make a good argument for what I said over your blanket statement <br />
<br />
Bold &amp; underlined - So you support...

INTIMADATOR2007
09-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Occupy Rap Sheet....http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2011/10/28/UPDATED---OccupyWallStreet--The-Rap-Sheet--So-Far

theonedru
09-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Occupy Rap Sheet....http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2011/10/28/UPDATED---OccupyWallStreet--The-Rap-Sheet--So-Far

What an awesome group of people Alex is a member of/supports. Can't wait to see how he justifies their acts

JustAlex
09-04-2012, 09:33 PM
What an awesome group of people Alex is a member of/supports. Can't wait to see how he justifies their acts
Whatever man...

BTW, I'm done talking to you about OWS and government entitlement programs, you clearly don't understand it nor do you want to understand it.

tutall
09-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Whatever man...

BTW, I'm done talking to you about OWS and government entitlement programs, you clearly don't understand it nor do you want to understand it.

Since you are done with him please educate me on it... i think they are little more than crybabies looking for a handout. I think the simple fact they are willing to disrupt people who have jobs' days so they can throw their tantrum shows us just what kind of children we are dealing with. I could care less if they hold signs and hug trees but disrupting anything that deals with everyday life is idiotic and childish.

theonedru
09-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Whatever man...

So you refuse to answer my post #6, well your silence speaks loudly then. It's nice to know you not only support such illegal activities but encourage it...

INTIMADATOR2007
09-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I wonder if he can come up with a lists of those evil tea-party people rap sheet...mmm, Bet not .

JustAlex
09-04-2012, 10:16 PM
So you refuse to answer my post #6, well your silence speaks loudly then. It's nice to know you not only support such illegal activities but encourage it...
Yeah, I support illegal activities and whatever other nonsense you want to believe....

I would rather talk to a creationist than you.

Biggtyme
09-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Here is the deal. In my opinion they are lazy and proud period. They want a hand out. Its the American way get something for nothing. At least that is what to many believe. You need an income then work somewhere there are plenty of jobs for those that are willing to work them however they are to proud to do the job available to them or deem them as not enough pay (SLOW MONEY IS BETTER THEN NO MONEY). Stop living beyond your means because the person next store to you is or because your best friend is. Make a budget and adhere to it period. Get rid of your cell phone get rid of your TV they are not necessary to live. Stop buying designer clothes the clothes at any given goodwill walmart target etc will provide the same benefit at those that are 20x more expensive. Hope you get my drift or shall I go on.

theonedru
09-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I support illegal activities and whatever other nonsense you want to believe....

I would rather talk to a creationist than you.

Just because you cannot justify what goes on by your protest buddies in the link intimadator posted (re posted below) don't get angry at me, I am not the one breaking the law or supporting criminal activities. What right do you or your occupy cronies have in costing fellow citizens their hard earned $ to clean up your messes? Where are you going to get the funds to pay us back?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2011/10/28/UPDATED---OccupyWallStreet--The-Rap-Sheet--So-Far

duwal
09-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Here is the deal. In my opinion they are lazy and proud period. They want a hand out. Its the American way get something for nothing. At least that is what to many believe. You need an income then work somewhere there are plenty of jobs for those that are willing to work them however they are to proud to do the job available to them or deem them as not enough pay (SLOW MONEY IS BETTER THEN NO MONEY). Stop living beyond your means because the person next store to you is or because your best friend is. Make a budget and adhere to it period. Get rid of your cell phone get rid of your TV they are not necessary to live. Stop buying designer clothes the clothes at any given goodwill walmart target etc will provide the same benefit at those that are 20x more expensive. Hope you get my drift or shall I go on.

you're talking to the deaf ears of some of the members on here

shrewsbury
09-05-2012, 12:05 AM
huh, whatcha say?

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I like some of the things that the occupy movement stands for but like the young lady for the naacp said it is not good that they are making this much of a stink at the DNC but hardly made a sound at the RNC. Do these people realize that the GOP was the ones who started this mess?

shrewsbury
09-05-2012, 09:00 AM
dems started mess. they also had their peanut thrower, nazi comment, and storm comments at and during the RNC (had to add the whole peanut thrower plant idea in there)

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 09:33 AM
dems started mess. they also had their peanut thrower, nazi comment, and storm comments at and during the RNC (had to add the whole peanut thrower plant idea in there)

You know that I am talking about the economic meltdown don't you?

shrewsbury
09-05-2012, 09:58 AM
that is what i am responding to.

but like the young lady for the naacp said it is not good that they are making this much of a stink at the DNC but hardly made a sound at the RNC.

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 10:01 AM
I missed the part of this thread where someone articulated what the OWS movement actually stands for.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 10:42 AM
that is what i am responding to.

Right but all of our society ills started long before the 2012 presidential conventions. The point the naacp was saying was why protest the DNC when the republicans have did and will do far more damage that President Obama can do.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I missed the part of this thread where someone articulated what the OWS movement actually stands for.

They are more of an umbrella group but their overall goal to the best of my belief is for everyone to have a fair shake at housing, healthcare and education and for big business/gov't to stop taking advantage of the working man. They really should have been focusing the majority of their energy at the RNC and they could have made a token appearance at the DNC. Yes the dems do have a lot of issues with them but they will do far less damage than the republicans will do if they get in office.

shrewsbury
09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
obama had the house and senate for two years, raised debt, knocked down income, and raised the UER, no republicans needed.

if republicans take office there will be a lowering of the UER, more jobs, and a better economy.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 11:06 AM
if republicans take office there will be a lowering of the UER, more jobs, and a better economy.

If that makes you sleep better at night believing that one then knock yourself out....

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 11:18 AM
They are more of an umbrella group but their overall goal to the best of my belief is for everyone to have a fair shake at housing, healthcare and education and for big business/gov't to stop taking advantage of the working man.

These are abstract concepts. When you question them on specifics, there is no answer. What is a "fair shake"? How is the working man being taken advantage of?

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 12:08 PM
These are abstract concepts. When you question them on specifics, there is no answer. What is a "fair shake"? How is the working man being taken advantage of?

Taxman I know that you are smart enough to know the answer to that but since you want to play ignorant here you go. First the tax system is completely unfair. To be honest it dosen't matter who wins between romney or obama it will still continue to be unfair and slanted towards big business and rich people who have the recources to hire accounts, attorneys, advisors, etc who can tell them where to hide their money to avoid taxes. Again I am not hating on them for having money or hiring someone who can help them keep it because if I would filthy rich I would probably do the same but I am mad at the gov't both political parties who allow these loopholes. Also why should we pay taxes for politicans to have world class healthcare but they are blocking the taxpayers from getting healthcare? For all of those anti-obamacare republicans I have yet to see 1 of them come up with an alternative let alone a better idea.

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Taxman I know that you are smart enough to know the answer to that but since you want to play ignorant here you go. First the tax system is completely unfair. To be honest it dosen't matter who wins between romney or obama it will still continue to be unfair and slanted towards big business and rich people who have the recources to hire accounts, attorneys, advisors, etc who can tell them where to hide their money to avoid taxes. Again I am not hating on them for having money or hiring someone who can help them keep it because if I would filthy rich I would probably do the same but I am mad at the gov't both political parties who allow these loopholes. Also why should we pay taxes for politicans to have world class healthcare but they are blocking the taxpayers from getting healthcare? For all of those anti-obamacare republicans I have yet to see 1 of them come up with an alternative let alone a better idea.

I am not playing ignorant. When you speak in general terms, they can have different meanings to different people. One man's view of fair is different from another man's. That is why you have to define it with specificity.

To go off of your tax example, again not playing ignorant, but asking the question. Which loopholes concern you? How do they favor the rich, and what is unfair about them? I am not asking for a breakdown of the tax code. I just want to know what parts you believe are unfair. You begin by assuming that it's unfair (I'm not arguing that it is) and essentially relying on your assumption as your conclusion. You have to do more than just spout the general rhetoric of rich people/tax breaks/loopholes/bad, and get into specifics, to form a credible argument. Let's get beyond the rhetoric and talk about WHY it's unfair, not just that it is, and how it can and should be changed.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I am not playing ignorant. When you speak in general terms, they can have different meanings to different people. One man's view of fair is different from another man's. That is why you have to define it with specificity.

To go off of your tax example, again not playing ignorant, but asking the question. Which loopholes concern you? How do they favor the rich, and what is unfair about them? I am not asking for a breakdown of the tax code. I just want to know what parts you believe are unfair. You begin by assuming that it's unfair (I'm not arguing that it is) and essentially relying on your assumption as your conclusion. You have to do more than just spout the general rhetoric of rich people/tax breaks/loopholes/bad, and get into specifics, to form a credible argument. Let's get beyond the rhetoric and talk about WHY it's unfair, not just that it is, and how it can and should be changed.

I don't have an accounting backround such as you but I know that I get up and leave my house well before dark, go across town to work earn my money and a large percentage is taken out given to the gov't to do only God knows what with it. Someone who is ultra rich and runs a business simpley pays their tax people to hide their money from the gov't therefore putting a bigger burden on working class people like myself who cannot afford such advisors. I will be the first to admit the the dems are far from perfect and in an ideal world they would not get my votes either but as long as the republicans are only out for themselves and not the common man I will vote for the dems who have the best chance at defeating them.

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM
I don't have an accounting backround such as you but I know that I get up and leave my house well before dark, go across town to work earn my money and a large percentage is taken out given to the gov't to do only God knows what with it. Someone who is ultra rich and runs a business simpley pays their tax people to hide their money from the gov't therefore putting a bigger burden on working class people like myself who cannot afford such advisors. I will be the first to admit the the dems are far from perfect and in an ideal world they would not get my votes either but as long as the republicans are only out for themselves and not the common man I will vote for the dems who have the best chance at defeating them.

I can certainly relate to the sizable chunk being taken out of one's paycheck, but it isn't like the ultra rich don't pay taxes. In fact, the top 1% of income earners pay 38% of all income taxes while earning 20% of all income. On the other hand, the bottom 50% of income earners pay 3% of all income taxes but earn 13% of all income. The position of the liberals is that this is unfair to the bottom 50% and that the top 1% need to be taxed even more. How is that fair?

I'd like to add that the Republican plan of cutting taxes for everyone is also fair in my mind. The liberal talking point, however, is that it is just more tax breaks for the rich.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 01:15 PM
I can certainly relate to the sizable chunk being taken out of one's paycheck, but it isn't like the ultra rich don't pay taxes. In fact, the top 1% of income earners pay 38% of all income taxes while earning 20% of all income. On the other hand, the bottom 50% of income earners pay 3% of all income taxes but earn 13% of all income. The position of the liberals is that this is unfair to the bottom 50% and that the top 1% need to be taxed even more. How is that fair?

I'd like to add that the Republican plan of cutting taxes for everyone is also fair in my mind. The liberal talking point, however, is that it is just more tax breaks for the rich.

How can we believe anything the replicans say about taxes when their leading man refuses to be transparent about his?

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 01:20 PM
How can we believe anything the replicans say about taxes when their leading man refuses to be transparent about his?

He has provided two years of returns. You want his entire earnings and tax payment history? The only reason it is an issue is so that the dems can demagogue it. What are your thoughts on the numbers I just posted and their fairness?

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 01:26 PM
He has provided two years of returns. You want his entire earnings and tax payment history? The only reason it is an issue is so that the dems can demagogue it. What are your thoughts on the numbers I just posted and their fairness?

Nothing against you personally but like I said earlier numbers can always be rigged so I can only take stats like that with a grain of salt. There would carry more weight if I see more politicians and the ultra rich complaining about the current tax system and campaiging for a fair tax.

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Nothing against you personally but like I said earlier numbers can always be rigged so I can only take stats like that with a grain of salt. There would carry more weight if I see more politicians and the ultra rich complaining about the current tax system and campaiging for a fair tax.

Those stats are not rigged. They come from the government. If you choose to deny those stats because they are inconvenient to you, you are turning your back to the truth. Even if you are suspect of the stats, assume, hypothetically, that the stats are accurate. What then would be your opinion of them?

Here is a link to the wikipedia page showing the progressivity of our tax system. As a tax professional, I am telling you that the stats here are generally reliable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressivity_in_United_States_income_tax

pghin08
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM

If you think the numbers could be rigged, even if Romney released 10 years of tax returns, wouldn't you just disregard them anyways?

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 01:39 PM
If you think the numbers could be rigged, even if Romney released 10 years of tax returns, wouldn't you just disregard them anyways?

Romney releasing his tax returns for the past ten years is a starting point. I will reserve judgement on until I know what's on them. Until he does I can only assume that he is hiding something. How can any trust a man do right by our tax dollars when he is not transparant about his own? I am just not comfortable with him.

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
mrv, what about my hypothetical?

shrewsbury
09-05-2012, 01:53 PM
veggie, but you have no issue with obama waiting to release his BC, or college transcripts? our or were you suspicious of that too?

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 02:10 PM
mrv, what about my hypothetical?

The numbers were interesting but it is a stretch to say that the republicans are responsible for the majority of the job growth and the dems are to blame for the recession.

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 02:14 PM
The numbers were interesting but it is a stretch to say that the republicans are responsible for the majority of the job growth and the dems are to blame for the recession.

I didn't say that.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 02:14 PM
veggie, but you have no issue with obama waiting to release his BC, or college transcripts? our or were you suspicious of that too?

There was no reason for Obama to release his birth cert. If he wasn't elgible to run from the get go do any of ya'll actually believe that between the media, all the political parties and the gov't itself he would have been eliminated from the get go? The only reason he released it was to shut up the birthers and even then they would not accept it. There is a certian element of our society that will never accept President Obama regardless of what he does so why should he bother? He should just continue about his business and work with those who are willing to work with him and not be concerned with fanatical loons. Let the secret service and FBI deal with them.

mrveggieman
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
I didn't say that.

Are you not suggesting that? If not what are you saying that the numbers are trying to imply?

AUTaxMan
09-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Are you not suggesting that? If not what are you saying that the numbers are trying to imply?

I'm showing you the numbers to demonstrate that there is a little more to the discussion than merely saying that rich people have too many tax loopholes and the system is slanted in their favor. Based on the the facts, I don't think you can assume that it is slanted in their favor. If anything, the assumption is that the system is slanted against them. The burden is on the complainant to demonstrate how it favors the rich.

tutall
09-05-2012, 07:48 PM
There was no reason for Obama to release his birth cert. If he wasn't elgible to run from the get go do any of ya'll actually believe that between the media, all the political parties and the gov't itself he would have been eliminated from the get go? The only reason he released it was to shut up the birthers and even then they would not accept it. There is a certian element of our society that will never accept President Obama regardless of what he does so why should he bother? He should just continue about his business and work with those who are willing to work with him and not be concerned with fanatical loons. Let the secret service and FBI deal with them.

Can the same be said about Romney and his tax returns? Where does it stop? Does he have to release everything back to when he was a child to prove anything? Do we need his dads too to make sure nothing fishy was going on then?

As far as taxes go... It is the position of most conservatives I know anyhow to not tax anyone more but cut spending. Cut some fraudulent welfare programs, cut unneccesary unemkployment and social security payments, cut many govt programs that are duplicates of state programs, cut unneeded military spending and programs, etc... I dont know of anyone in the conservative thinking that thinks we should put more burden on the middle class but they think the burden needs to be taken off everyone by lowering government spending.

habsheaven
09-05-2012, 09:37 PM
Can the same be said about Romney and his tax returns? Where does it stop? Does he have to release everything back to when he was a child to prove anything? Do we need his dads too to make sure nothing fishy was going on then?

As far as taxes go... It is the position of most conservatives I know anyhow to not tax anyone more but cut spending. Cut some fraudulent welfare programs, cut unneccesary unemkployment and social security payments, cut many govt programs that are duplicates of state programs, cut unneeded military spending and programs, etc... I dont know of anyone in the conservative thinking that thinks we should put more burden on the middle class but they think the burden needs to be taken off everyone by lowering government spending.

We don't need his dad's, he release 10 or 12 years worth when he was in the public eye. I would love to see his tax returns just to confirm when he left Bain. If he was signing off on SEC documents after he left, I would be willing to bet he was also being paid.

Wickabee
09-05-2012, 10:06 PM
I didn't say that.

Maybe not in this thread