PDA

View Full Version : Called Out by Republicans, Clinton Answers in Masterful Convention Speech

mikesilvia
09-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Bill killed.Nominating Barack Obama for a second term, the former president brought to bear the full weight of his political experience and forensic skill Wednesday night, on behalf of a man who was once his adversary. Rewritten up until the final hour before he took the podium, this was among his finest campaign speeches, even surpassing the address he delivered at the last Democratic convention in 2008. Clinton presented an exhaustive argument for Obama (and against the Republicans) with four key elements:A lesson in presidential economics delivered in professorial style, acknowledging...

More... (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/09/08/called_out_by_republicans_clinton_answers_in_maste rful_convention_speech_115381.html)

imronron
09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
-quote-"As Bill Clinton walked out onto the stage of the Democratic National Convention last night, there was love in the air. Television cameras scanned the faces in the crowd and it was as if each man and each woman, regardless of their ages or where they came from, was seeing again the person who first stole their hearts. But however deep their affections, however dizzying their passion, it was clear that it was at least equaled by the love of the speaker for the crowd he faced, for the role he was playing and for the limelight he once again commanded.

Throughout Clinton's 49-minute address, at turns both masterful and meandering, the intensity of the love affair grew. At times, it was almost too much to watch. One woman on whom the cameras lingered for a moment was so close to a swoon that I thought she would topple over at any minute and that, in any event, she would never again look at her husband or lover again in the same away. They would always be second best."-unquote-.
David Rothkopf, CNN

shrewsbury
09-08-2012, 02:09 PM
he can speak, but so could hitler. clinton is ok if you like an adulterer and someone who uses his power to have affairs with a young impressionable female.

boba
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
I love how the "party of the women" had this guy as a keynote speaker. :frusty:

texansrangerfan73
09-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Anyone who was around for the 8 years that Clinton was in office knows that he did a great job well in office. As for the affairs as 1 poster says I say this Kennedy had his own affairs too & so many other people as well. If we have to judge peoples job performance on their personal lives then so be it but I will not!

habsheaven
09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Well said! For the critics of Clinton that only think of an affair with an intern; it says more about them than it does about Clinton.

Wickabee
09-08-2012, 06:33 PM
Well said! For the critics of Clinton that only think of an affair with an intern; it says more about them than it does about Clinton.

Amen.
Didn't more American soldier die under Clinton than any other President? And there was no actual war?

And all you can say is he cheated on his wife. Kind of sad, but if that's the worst thing he did as President, then I'd say that's not bad. No Watergate, no Oilwar..oops, I mean "Spreading Democracy" to Iraq, decent economy.

Basically if he did such a good job that all you can talk about is the chick under his desk, then I don't care who was under his desk. Get over it, Hillary did.

texansrangerfan73
09-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Amen.
Didn't more American soldier die under Clinton than any other President? And there was no actual war?

And all you can say is he cheated on his wife. Kind of sad, but if that's the worst thing he did as President, then I'd say that's not bad. No Watergate, no Oilwar..oops, I mean "Spreading Democracy" to Iraq, decent economy.

Basically if he did such a good job that all you can talk about is the chick under his desk, then I don't care who was under his desk. Get over it, Hillary did.

Really you better check that. http://www.factcheck.org/2008/01/military-deaths-under-clinton-and-bush/

indexed
09-08-2012, 09:42 PM
he can speak, but so could hitler. clinton is ok if you like an adulterer and someone who uses his power to have affairs with a young impressionable female.

Until a US President starts gassing people the Hitler stuff doesn't belong in our politics no matter how much I hate Obama. We have all had to live with him.

duwal
09-10-2012, 01:51 AM

who really cars about that??? That is between him and Hillary. Do you really want your job performance and review to also hinder on your personal life? Face it man, he was a very good president for the country

shrewsbury
09-10-2012, 08:42 AM
if you consider influencing teens to think oral sex is not sex so do it with whoever you want. if you think it is ok for our leader to show that cheating on your spouse is ok. if you think it is ok to show that having sex with someone you are in power over is ok, then he was a good president.

a leader should be about leading by example and not getting a free ride when they commit immoral acts.

AUTaxMan
09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Amen.

I don't understand the oil war argument. Can you please explain it? Try to get a little more detailed than, "the U.S. went to war with Iraq for oil," "isn't it obvious," "you know," or anything lacking details. Feel free to start a new thread so we don't get this one off topic, since I'm sure your detailed response will be voluminous.

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 09:37 AM
if you consider influencing teens to think oral sex is not sex so do it with whoever you want. if you think it is ok for our leader to show that cheating on your spouse is ok. if you think it is ok to show that having sex with someone you are in power over is ok, then he was a good president.

a leader should be about leading by example and not getting a free ride when they commit immoral acts.

Tell me again what underaged child was clinton accused of being with sexually again?

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I love how the "party of the women" had this guy as a keynote speaker. :frusty:

Right but you republicans can parade around clowns like newt who have no problem cheating on his wives or getting rid of them when their health fails despite saying till death does us apart. Got ya. :thumb:

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Anyone who was around for the 8 years that Clinton was in office knows that he did a great job well in office. As for the affairs as 1 poster says I say this Kennedy had his own affairs too & so many other people as well. If we have to judge peoples job performance on their personal lives then so be it but I will not!

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

Wickabee
09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't understand the oil war argument. Can you please explain it? Try to get a little more detailed than, "the U.S. went to war with Iraq for oil," "isn't it obvious," "you know," or anything lacking details. Feel free to start a new thread so we don't get this one off topic, since I'm sure your detailed response will be voluminous.

*sigh* If you really think it wasn't about oil, you're free to live in your own world where the Iraq war was actually a noble cause that did nothing but good.

I'll live in the real world.

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 11:52 AM
*sigh* If you really think it wasn't about oil, you're free to live in your own world where the Iraq war was actually a noble cause that did nothing but good.

THIS ^^^^^ :thumb:

shrewsbury
09-10-2012, 12:08 PM
when you are the leader your personal life is part of your job. if you can't control your own behaviors how can you help control the behaviors of a nation?

I look for moral character as well as job performance when it comes to politicians, perhaps if we did this more often we would have better leaders and less people ripping us off.

clinton did many great things, but at the end of the day, it does not excuse you from doing immoral acts.

veggie, who said anything about an underage teen?

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
when you are the leader your personal life is part of your job. if you can't control your own behaviors how can you help control the behaviors of a nation?

I look for moral character as well as job performance when it comes to politicians, perhaps if we did this more often we would have better leaders and less people ripping us off.

clinton did many great things, but at the end of the day, it does not excuse you from doing immoral acts.

veggie, who said anything about an underage teen?

You suggested in an earlier comment that by clinton having an affair with monica that will somehow influence teens to have oral sex. Most teens couldn't care less about what a politician does in his/her bedroom so that is a stretch on your part.

shrewsbury
09-10-2012, 12:43 PM
apparently you do not remember the debacle of clinton and him saying he did not have sexual relations with her. there was a huge rise in sexual behaviors among teens and they credited clinton as saying oral sex was not sex. perhaps because my kids were in school at the time, i paid more attention.

Presidential Precedents

Experts say the reason for the shift in attitude toward oral sex is partially due to our sex-soaked culture. The Monica Lewinsky and Bill Clinton scandal made oral sex seem more acceptable, and some teens have used it as an excuse for their behavior, according to Lynn Ponton, a psychiatrist at UC San Francisco. "Kids tell me over and over in my office, 'The president did it.'"

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/10.17.02/sex-0242.html

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 12:48 PM
apparently you do not remember the debacle of clinton and him saying he did not have sexual relations with her. there was a huge rise in sexual behaviors among teens and they credited clinton as saying oral sex was not sex. perhaps because my kids were in school at the time, i paid more attention.

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/10.17.02/sex-0242.html

That's something you should blame on your beloved abstinece only classes. :thumb:

shrewsbury
09-10-2012, 01:44 PM
who said they were mine?

so instead of a grown man, who is the leader of the country, being responsible for his own acts of immorality, that influence a nation, we will find a way to blame someone else?

this is the issue I have with the way SOME liberals like to think, that some how no one is responsible for their own actions, whether it is an able bodied person on welfare, illegal immigrants who have now had children here, or prisoners who have committed crimes against women, children, elderly, or disabled that some how deserve to have rights.

just mind boggling!!!!

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
who said they were mine?

so instead of a grown man, who is the leader of the country, being responsible for his own acts of immorality, that influence a nation, we will find a way to blame someone else?

this is the issue I have with the way SOME liberals like to think, that some how no one is responsible for their own actions, whether it is an able bodied person on welfare, illegal immigrants who have now had children here, or prisoners who have committed crimes against women, children, elderly, or disabled that some how deserve to have rights.

just mind boggling!!!!

Clinton was only an elected politician. He is not a spiritual or moral leader. I was more offended by Jerry Fallwell preaching racism and Pat Robertson calling for the murder of a public official than I was by what Clinton did in his bedroom.

shrewsbury
09-10-2012, 02:23 PM
i am offended by all three

AUTaxMan
09-10-2012, 02:38 PM

That's pretty much the reply that I expected. You have nothing to bring to the table, as usual, other than your biased opinion. You are also putting words into my mouth. I never opined on the virtues of the Iraq war.

habsheaven
09-10-2012, 03:28 PM
who said they were mine?

just mind boggling!!!!

1. No one claimed Clinton isn't responsible for his own actions. He didn't even claim such a thing. The argument is whether or not that trumps all the good he has done. For you, a critic, it does. For the less biased world out there, it was an indescretion that was no business of the Republicans or anyone else other than Hillary, Chelsea and Monica.

2. Which liberals are proclaiming able-bodied people on welfare have no responsibility for themselves?

3. Who is on the side of illegal immigrant that have children here? Most want to ensure the children do not suffer because of the actions of their parents. Shouldn't the conservatives want to protect the family unit just like the liberals?

4. What is the point of singling out persons that commit crimes against "women, children, elderly or disabled" individuals? Is that the only way you know to distinguish between the seriousness of a crime? Before you know it you will be wanting to change the punishments for committing "hate" crimes. Have you ever heard of DUE PROCESS? Everyone deserves basic rights.

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
i am offended by all three

Some guy cheating on his wife is way less offensive than a guy advocating murder or racism.

shrewsbury
09-10-2012, 04:35 PM
veggie, some guy, sure, but not the president of the united states, he is not "some guy". but i will give you the fact his actions were less offensive to me than murder or racism. but how many teens turned to racism or murder because of their statements?

habs, less bias?
#1 when you are the president you set an example for the youth, remember when kids wanted to grow up to be president?
#2 the fact that welfare keeps increasing would be why SOME (like i stated earlier SOME) support able bodied people to be on welfare.
#3 if your parents stole a million dollars you should have no right to it, if they stolen their way into the usa, then something needs to be done. how about they can stay, but the parents can't collect SS, medicaid/medicare, no voting, and no welfare?
#4 these are the worst crimes. someone on drugs should get a second chance, someone who is a car thief should get a second chance, but those that commit the worst of crimes should have no second chance to commit them again.

I know, me and my crazy morals, we should just allow people to do what they want.

boba
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Right but you republicans can parade around clowns like newt who have no problem cheating on his wives or getting rid of them when their health fails despite saying till death does us apart. Got ya. :thumb:

Then shouldn't the party of the women be rising above this? :thumb:

habsheaven
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
veggie, some guy, sure, but not the president of the united states, he is not "some guy". but i will give you the fact his actions were less offensive to me than murder or racism. but how many teens turned to racism or murder because of their statements?

habs, less bias?
#1 when you are the president you set an example for the youth, remember when kids wanted to grow up to be president?
#2 the fact that welfare keeps increasing would be why SOME (like i stated earlier SOME) support able bodied people to be on welfare.
#3 if your parents stole a million dollars you should have no right to it, if they stolen their way into the usa, then something needs to be done. how about they can stay, but the parents can't collect SS, medicaid/medicare, no voting, and no welfare?
#4 these are the worst crimes. someone on drugs should get a second chance, someone who is a car thief should get a second chance, but those that commit the worst of crimes should have no second chance to commit them again.

I know, me and my crazy morals, we should just allow people to do what they want.

1. My response was to your statement that he should be responsible for his actions and people shouldn't blame others for what he did. It had nothing to do with whether or not he should set a good example. Why are you jumping all over the place?

2. I thought the increase in welfare recepients was because of Obama's poor economic record, which is it?

3. Your implication is that they are all collecting entitlements. I would be willing to bet that most pay taxes.

4. Your switching the argument again. Having rights and not being allowed to commit the crimes a second time are two entirely different issues.

Biggtyme
09-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Shewsbury all of us other than Native Americans technically stole or way into this country. Just saying LOL.

habsheaven
09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Shewsbury all of us other than Native Americans technically stole or way into this country. Just saying LOL.

Good point.

Wickabee
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
That's pretty much the reply that I expected. You have nothing to bring to the table, as usual, other than your biased opinion. You are also putting words into my mouth. I never opined on the virtues of the Iraq war.

If you know it's true, why argue it.
It couldn't be because it makes Bush look bad, right?

duwal
09-10-2012, 08:38 PM

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/internet-memes-youre-worried-about-illegal-immigration.jpg

mrveggieman
09-11-2012, 07:41 AM
http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/internet-memes-youre-worried-about-illegal-immigration.jpg

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

AUTaxMan
09-11-2012, 10:22 AM
If you know it's true, why argue it.
It couldn't be because it makes Bush look bad, right?

You never addressed my question about the oil. I don't give a damn about GWB. He did some good things and he did some bad things, but my opinion of him is irrelevant to this argument. Please add some substance to your ridiculous oil claims.

shrewsbury
09-11-2012, 11:43 AM
half of my family came over via ellis island, i was not there when columbus enslaved the native americans, nor when the spanish killed most of them off. just like i did not enslave any one nor took part in any of that nonsense.

if 12,000,000 can come through ellis island, and another 1,000,000 can come in documented each year, why is there another 1,000,000 here illegally.

how about come up with some modern relevance instead of having to go back in time to find an answer? this is no different than blacks calling whites slave owners, when is the last time that occurred? how many people died fighting against slavery? where is there credit? where is the credit for those whites that marched with the civil rights movement?

if we go with the ancient alien theory we are all immigrants!!!

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 01:08 PM
You never addressed my question about the oil. I don't give a damn about GWB. He did some good things and he did some bad things, but my opinion of him is irrelevant to this argument. Please add some substance to your ridiculous oil claims.

I'll see if I can link up everything from 2003, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Actually, on second though, I won't bother. You already know it's true but don't want it to be. Everyone has to come up with current examples of everything for you. It's like you have the memory of a goldfish.

Talk about bringing nothing to the table.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 01:09 PM

I'll see if I can link up everything from 2003, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Actually, on second though, I won't bother. You already know it's true but don't want it to be. Everyone has to come up with current examples of everything for you. It's like you have the memory of a goldfish.

On a related note, where can I find the ignore option? I can't take one "person" questioning things he already knows simply because it goes against what he likes.

AUTaxMan
09-11-2012, 01:17 PM

On a related note, where can I find the ignore option? I can't take one "person" questioning things he already knows simply because it goes against what he likes.

I don't already know it. I has always been unsubstantiated allegation and innuendo. I have never once seen actual facts supporting those ridiculous allegations. If you can provide them, I will concede the point.

mrveggieman
09-11-2012, 01:39 PM
I don't already know it. I has always been unsubstantiated allegation and innuendo. I have never once seen actual facts supporting those ridiculous allegations. If you can provide them, I will concede the point.

What exactly is it going to take? You are a lawyer. Your job is to argue about things even though deep down you know the truth is not what you are arguing for.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 01:42 PM
What exactly is it going to take? You are a lawyer. Your job is to argue about things even though deep down you know the truth is not what you are arguing for.

I'm pretty sure it's one of two reasons:
1 - Fun
2 - He doesn't like me.

He lets most people go, but all my posts are supposed to have a bibliography and links to ten year old television news broadcasts.

Also, never come to a conclusion with my own thought. If I don't have 12 websites to back me up, I'm not supposed to post.

AUTaxMan
09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's one of two reasons:
1 - Fun
2 - He doesn't like me.

He lets most people go, but all my posts are supposed to have a bibliography and links to ten year old television news broadcasts.

Also, never come to a conclusion with my own thought. If I don't have 12 websites to back me up, I'm not supposed to post.

I don't have anything against you personally. I just don't like the fact that you would have everyone assume that everything you offer as fact is true, and when challenged on that point, you refuse to substantiate your arguments. You are the one who gets personal in these conversations, not me. I actually want to have a decent conversation about these issue with you, but you refuse to participate on any level higher than namecalling and throwing out wild accusations.

AUTaxMan
09-11-2012, 02:16 PM

No, my job is to find the truth and to expose it. It won't take much, but it will take more than your merely telling me that I have to accept wild allegations as fact. If you (not you personally, but anybody, liberal or conservative) have an arguable position on a contested issue, back it up. If it isn't contested, then we assume that everyone is in agreement on the point. Don't just resort to name-calling and deflecting the issue. If you provide some proof, I won't dismiss it because it goes against my position. I will analyze it, challenge it if it is questionable, and accept it if it seems to be the truth. I am not afraid to admit that I am wrong, but I need more than someone's just telling me that I am to change my mind on an issue.

I just wish our discussions were more analytical here. That's how my brain works. It's a little more difficult to do on a message board than just throwing a bunch of opinions around, because it requires effort and time, but it is much more productive.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I don't have anything against you personally. I just don't like the fact that you would have everyone assume that everything you offer as fact is true, and when challenged on that point, you refuse to substantiate your arguments. You are the one who gets personal in these conversations, not me. I actually want to have a decent conversation about these issue with you, but you refuse to participate on any level higher than namecalling and throwing out wild accusations.
Nothing wild about it. Through my observation that is what it is. Of course you don't see obsrrvation as anything, so you can go back to la-la lanx and continue on doing exactly what you accused me of and not responding when questioned.

I think I've made my point with you today. Stop arguing everything without a link.

AUTaxMan
09-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Nothing wild about it. Through my observation that is what it is. Of course you don't see obsrrvation as anything, so you can go back to la-la lanx and continue on doing exactly what you accused me of and not responding when questioned.

I think I've made my point with you today. Stop arguing everything without a link.

Please give me the cliffs notes version of your observation about how the Iraq War is/was about oil. No link necessary.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 03:51 PM
Please give me the cliffs notes version of your observation about how the Iraq War is/was about oil. No link necessary.

Well let's see. Originally, we were told Iraq was a response to 9/11...who carried out 9/11? Where was he? How far is that from Iraq?
Who helped Saddam into power? What does Iraq have? WMD? Nope, never did, and we knew it. Terrorists? Maybe a few, but if you're after the 9/11 perpetrators, Iraq is pretty far off. Oil? Yes. Yes they have tons of oil. A madman dictator? Yes, but he was no threat to America and, as they say, better the devil you know...

If you can give me another legitimate reason for the Iraq war that actually makes sense I'm all ears. If you're just going to snipe at me again for not posting links, then so be it.

Also, for the record, I was talking about my observations of your actions. Constantly questioning things we all know, mostly with me, but not exclusively so. I'm tired of things being explained 100 times in 50 threads just because people are trying to "win" arguments by tripping people up on what resources they have off the top of their heads instead of being furthered by realizing what we all already know.

I feel like if someone claimed 2+2=4 you'd come in asking for examples, visual aides, links confirming the fact and a bibliography. It gets old, quick.

mrveggieman
09-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Sometimes I feel like whenever I step into P&R I am stepping into a steel cage in WWE.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Sometimes I feel like whenever I step into P&R I am stepping into a steel cage in WWE.

I'm just tired of explaining everything like the person reading has no recollection of the last 50 years.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 05:30 PM
And by the way, AUT, my post said Clinton never started an oil war. Are you trying to say he did?

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 05:32 PM
Really you better check that. http://www.factcheck.org/2008/01/military-deaths-under-clinton-and-bush/

So more have died under GWB than anyone else? That makes sense, it's something I remember hearing back when Bush was in his first term.

Funny how AUT didn't jump on THAT one...