PDA

View Full Version : Debt collectors cashing in on student loans

mrveggieman
09-10-2012, 11:59 AM
http://www.weknowthesecretsofthefederalreserve.com/debt-collectors-cashing-in-on-student-loans/

tutall
09-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Oh... Im Sorry... were you forced to go to school? I hope these people keep going and collect every dime ever borrowed to go to school. People like these occupy student loan people disgust me. Go get a job like everyone else and pay back the loans... No ne forced you to get a degree in Art.... You chose that and now you can join the people of Wal Mart and pay back the 30 grand you borrowed for nothing....

“I keep changing my phone number,” said Amanda Cordeiro, 29, from Clermont, Fla., who dropped out of college in 2010 and has fielded as many as seven calls a day from debt collectors trying to recover her $55,000 in overdue loans. “In a year, this is probably my fourth phone number.”

Why do people like this not get it that a company (backed by the American people) have loaned you 55K and wants paid back?

JustAlex
09-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Typical response tutall, I would expect nothing less, I really do hope your children get into this situation when and if it happens to them......poetic justice is the greatest thing in the world.

BTW.....I hope you realize the heart of the problem isn't that they are borrowing money and they don't want to pay back.

While I do NOT condone reckless spending and reckless borrowing, many people in debt do not fall in that category, the system has failed them, the terrible economy has increased competition for good paying jobs forcing many OVER-Qualified college educated people to take jobs which do not pay enough to cover their loans and living expenses.

Of course you and others like you don't care about this, you only like to blame the person and not the outside forces working against them.

Now I guess I have to await "dru" and his disdain of poor people, OWS, and anyone else who isn't privileged enough to have a lot of money.

tutall
09-10-2012, 11:34 PM
give me a break.... First off never bring my kids into this... Second there are plenty of jobs out there... people who cannot find a job need to get themselves off the couch and go find work. You may not get the sweet corner office job but there is not a single person in this country who is above swinging a hammer or flipping burgers... Student loan payments are usually pretty low unless you go to school for a professional position of which I know there are plenty of jobs. Im sick of the outside forces crap... I dont have a dime of student debt... I saved up while working at a summer J.O.B. and paid every cent while I was attending... my wife took out a small loan (8K or so) and her first year out of college was making about 29K a year and paid the whole thing off... Its personal responsibility not the problem of US taxpayers

tutall
09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
One more response since you went there...my child will not be in that position because I waited until we could afford a child and will have a nice college tuition fund built for the time he needs it. I live within my means and hate having to pay for the stupidity of those who dont

JustAlex
09-10-2012, 11:49 PM
give me a break.... First off never bring my kids into this...

Oh but it's ok to blame these people who are sons and daughters or other people and criticize them and call them all kinds of names, right?

Second there are plenty of jobs out there... people who cannot find a job need to get themselves off the couch and go find work.

Yes, I know, and unfortunately those jobs do not pay enough for living expenses and to cover their student loans, did you not read what I said, or do you simply believe that people should have to take on 2 and 3 jobs just to pay interest?

Do you think this is what a human being has to reduce himself to?

Having to be a slave in order to satisfy his debt masters?

You may not get the sweet corner office job but there is not a single person in this country who is above swinging a hammer or flipping burgers... Student loan payments are usually pretty low unless you go to school for a professional position of which I know there are plenty of jobs. Im sick of the outside forces crap... I dont have a dime of student debt... I saved up while working at a summer J.O.B. and paid every cent while I was attending... my wife took out a small loan (8K or so) and her first year out of college was making about 29K a year and paid the whole thing off... Its personal responsibility not the problem of US taxpayers

OK, so imagine your wife got sick and couldn't work, or imagine she couldn't get a great paying job, imagine that small loan kept growing and growing, and it wasn't entirely her fault.....how would you feel if people on the outside blamed HER! How would you feel if I called her "lazy" or a "burden" to society or "irresponsible"......this is what you and "dru" do to these people, you DON'T know their situations, you hear them complaining that the forces outside their control have contributed to their problems but you DON'T CARE....you only blame the person and that is NOT fair, you should look at all the factors.

responses in bold.

MattDMC
09-10-2012, 11:51 PM
I have to agree with tutall 100%.

If you have a student loan there's is absolutely no need to change your phone number 4 times because the debt collectors won't leave you alone (the girl quoted originally). You borrow the money you get a job and pay it back, you don't run and change phone numbers when the debt collectors find you. Going to College is a privilege of choice not a right, if you want a degree that was your choice so don't complain when you drop out and have to pay the loan off as you still borrowed it. People get flip a burger these days to pay off the money they borrowed? LOWLIFES!!!

JustAlex
09-10-2012, 11:57 PM
One more response since you went there...my child will not be in that position because I waited until we could afford a child and will have a nice college tuition fund built for the time he needs it. I live within my means and hate having to pay for the stupidity of those who dont
OK, so if everyone was lucky enough like you we would have zero problems.

BTW, if a woman gets pregnant and doesn't have the money to take care of that child what should she do?

I'm assuming you're a conservative so you're probably against abortion and I know how you feel about welfare, so in other words shes beyond screwed in YOUR world, am I right?

tutall
09-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Oh but it's ok to blame these people who are sons and daughters or other people and criticize them and call them all kinds of names, right?

a 22 year old with a college degree complaining about having to pay it back is a long shot from a 2 year old....

Yes, I know, and unfortunately those jobs do not pay enough for living expenses and to cover their student loans, did you not read what I said, or do you simply believe that people should have to take on 2 and 3 jobs just to pay interest?

Do you think this is what a human being has to reduce himself to?

Having to be a slave in order to satisfy his debt masters?

If you felt the need to go ito debt over your eyeballs yes... You deserve to do whatever it takes to pay it back. I know plenty of tech graduates and state school graduates who paid their way through college that do fine for themselves now.

OK, so imagine your wife got sick and couldn't work, or imagine she couldn't get a great paying job, imagine that small loan kept growing and growing, and it wasn't entirely her fault.....how would you feel if people on the outside blamed HER! How would you feel if I called her "lazy" or a "burden" to society or "irresponsible"......this is what you and "dru" do to these people, you DON'T know their situations, you hear them complaining that the forces outside their control have contributed to their problems but you DON'T CARE....you only blame the person and that is NOT fair, you should look at all the factors

I dont care about their situations to be honest with you... They signed a paper saying they would pay the money back... If i borrowed money from you and didnt pay it back you would be a little upset, no? If my wife got sick and could not work I am positive her parents would pay it back and trust my... 29K when you are starting a married life together is not good money... We struggled at first paying through school but get to reap the benefits of it now. If you borrow money on a car and dont pay you lose the car... a house you lose the house... They cant take an education away from you so the only option they have is make penalties if you dont pay it back. If these occupiers all had loans forgiven whats to stop everyone from ending student loan payments now....

Now if you want to talk student loan reform I am all for it... Prices of college are ridiculous and as watered down as they are getting graduates these days should not expect a great job as it is more and more a paper that sayd you can pass a few exams.

tutall
09-11-2012, 12:01 AM
OK, so if everyone was lucky enough like you we would have zero problems.

BTW, if a woman gets pregnant and doesn't have the money to take care of that child what should she do?

I'm assuming you're a conservative so you're probably against abortion and I know how you feel about welfare, so in other words shes beyond screwed in YOUR world, am I right?

first off.... dont get pregnant... there are ways to avoid that you know... second if you do get pregnant take care of your kid. I am not the most responsible person in the world but I can at least line up child care for my child long enough for me to go to work. My mom was a single working mom and I spent a ton of time at my grandparents home growing up... Certain choices have consequences and its too easy anymore to run away from them. I dont have a problem with welfare as long as it isnt abused... if she needs 6 months of food stamps or a small SS check till she gets back on her feet fine.. But I am not ok with her getting a check the rest of her life and the child getting a check as soon as he/she can talk.

JustAlex
09-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I dont care about their situations to be honest with you...
Yeah bro, I know, and that is my point, if you don't care to hear their situations, then you shouldn't be saying anything....of course if you don't have sympathy or empathy for others....then who cares!

I currently have ZERO debt and I'm a recent college graduate, thankfully, I'm not so smug that I can look at these people with disdain and in such a heartless manner.

tutall
09-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Yeah bro, I know, and that is my point, if you don't care to hear their situations, then you shouldn't be saying anything....of course if you don't have sympathy or empathy for others....then who cares!

I currently have ZERO debt and I'm a recent college graduate, thankfully, I'm not so smug that I can look at these people with disdain and in such a heartless manner.

You are missing the point... If you are in a bad situation FIX IT... Find a better paying job, call and defer payments for a while till you get back on your feet, scrap some stuff out, have a garage sale, make something and sell it... I really dont care what you dobut there are ways to raise money

Question for you... If you were running a business of lending money and someone did not pay you back would you be OK with that?

JustAlex
09-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Question for you... If you were running a business of lending money and someone did not pay you back would you be OK with that?
You're comparing apples to oranges.....college loans are given to students who are hoping that when they graduate their degrees will help them land a good job which will help them pay back the loan.

But in a rough economy they have no choice but to take low paying jobs and at this point living expenses are much more important than loans, would you not agree?

If I were a business I'm not going to loan anyone money unless I fully know that they can pay it back within the allowed time period.

BTW, some of these people have ALREADY PAID BACK THE LOAN THEY ORIGINALLY BORROWED!!!

The reason they still have debt is because of the insane interest rates......in other words at this point they are paying back PROFITS for the business, or did you forget about that?

tutall
09-11-2012, 12:28 AM
You're comparing apples to oranges.....college loans are given to students who are hoping that when they graduate their degrees will help them land a good job which will help them pay back the loan.

But in a rough economy they have no choice but to take low paying jobs and at this point living expenses are much more important than loans, would you not agree?

I definently agree with you.... Food, shelter, lights, auto all way more important than student loans... But you should not be surprised when the student loan company starts looking for money after 12-14 months of not paying and sues you..... Again, auto loan they take the car, home loan they take the home.. College loans companies cannot take your education back so there is no recourse other than coming at you for the money. At some point you have to take responsibility. It isnt like they are sending the executioner after you after being 10 days late on a payment...

If I were a business I'm not going to loan anyone money unless I fully know that they can pay it back within the allowed time period.

BTW, some of these people have ALREADY PAID BACK THE LOAN THEY ORIGINALLY BORROWED!!!

The reason they still have debt is because of the insane interest rates......in other words at this point they are paying back PROFITS for the business, or did you forget about that?

But these companies have been forced to lend money to people that have no business borrowing money because of government policy. Interest rates are disclosed at signing, banks are for profit companies,therefore they deserve to be paid back what the terms of the loan say they should be paid back... If you dont like it take a summer off to work and pay cash for it. They are allowing you to go to school in exchange you pay them back... How hard is that concept?

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 05:21 PM

Well aren't you lucky.

or

What a stupid thing to say.

For the record, if I waited until I could "afford" a child before I had one, I'd have never had one. The entire system is geared to keep people exactly where they currently are financially. I have a job I can pay for my child, but when post-secondary comes up in 17 years, I don't know if I'm going to even be able to help, much less pay for her schooling.

Guess I don't deserve a child.

indexed
09-11-2012, 05:33 PM
should this really be a partisan debate. The fact is more money to date has been borrowed for student debt then for all other consumer debt combined. Debt is a part of western society. Unfortunately the only thing backing our debt based society is THE next bubble. Weather its the tech bubble, housing bubble, now possibly the bond bubble.
Look to many people are going to school without a real plan. All they are getting is a piece of paper. That student loan money could be used better as a small bushiness loan in some cases Im sure.
Its an area that needs reformed.

theonedru
09-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I have to agree with 99.999% of everything tutall has said. it is logical and makes sense

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I have to agree with 99.999% of everything tutall has said. it is logical and makes sense

If you think everyone with a student loan is lazy and just doesn't want to pay it, then yes, he makes a lot of sense.

If you realize those people are actually a minority, he doesn't make as much sense.

When he tells people to first have enough money to send your kids to college before having children, or they don't deserve college (because if they take out student loans they're lazy and DON'T WANT to pay them back), then he makes no sense whatsoever.

cbuskstwar
09-11-2012, 07:20 PM
I agree with Tutall as well, great points, people need to be held accountable.

tutall
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Well aren't you lucky.

or

What a stupid thing to say.

For the record, if I waited until I could "afford" a child before I had one, I'd have never had one. The entire system is geared to keep people exactly where they currently are financially. I have a job I can pay for my child, but when post-secondary comes up in 17 years, I don't know if I'm going to even be able to help, much less pay for her schooling.

Guess I don't deserve a child.

Luck? Who says anything about luck? Jamie Dimon didnt become CEO of JPMorgan Chase by Luck.... Steve Jobs wasnt lucky.... Sam Walton didnt scratch a lottery ticket and win all his money. If you want to be successfull model your life after someone with money.

I never said that... just dont be surprised when the lender wants paid back their money they lent to you is all I am saying. People borrow money every day to pay for school but it doesnt mean you have to be one of them. There are thousands and thousands of dollars for scholorships that go unused every year simply because no one applies for them. There are a ton of kids too lazy to simply fill out an application with *gasp* a couple essay questions to get a free couple thousand bucks to pay for school. Add to it the fact that a ton of this student loan money goes for things that have NOTHING to do with school and you get what you deserve.

Not everyone fits in this boat and as I said above I am fine with welfare and assistance... I am not fine with someone trying to be forgiven of student loan debt because 3 years out of school they cant scrape up a couple hundred bucks a month to send as a payment.

tutall
09-11-2012, 09:23 PM
should this really be a partisan debate. The fact is more money to date has been borrowed for student debt then for all other consumer debt combined. Debt is a part of western society. Unfortunately the only thing backing our debt based society is THE next bubble. Weather its the tech bubble, housing bubble, now possibly the bond bubble.
Look to many people are going to school without a real plan. All they are getting is a piece of paper. That student loan money could be used better as a small bushiness loan in some cases Im sure.
Its an area that needs reformed.

I agree it needs reform. I think the reform needs to be more around the cost of college however not really the student loan process... You are correct though about students going to school without a plan... I chat with several students every day at work and it amazes me how many Juniors and Seniors have no idea what they want to go to college for much less what they will do with their degree once they graduate.

tutall
09-11-2012, 09:26 PM
If you think everyone with a student loan is lazy and just doesn't want to pay it, then yes, he makes a lot of sense.

If you realize those people are actually a minority, he doesn't make as much sense.

When he tells people to first have enough money to send your kids to college before having children, or they don't deserve college (because if they take out student loans they're lazy and DON'T WANT to pay them back), then he makes no sense whatsoever.

Doesnt it make sense? Look, I love my child... but him not being a weight against my financial goals was key to when we wanted to have children. We dont make a ton of money but I wanted in place before we had any children enough money that if he gets sick I dont have to work on CareCredit to get his medicine paid off. If my roof caves in tomorrow I didnt want to be scrambling to get somoene out here to put a new roof on trying to figure out how to pay for it. It isnt rocket science... It is the way our parents, grandparents, and great grandparents did it. If you want to live in debt your whole life go for it... i just chose a different way is all and it isnt anything earth shattering it is simply not buying things I cant afford

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Doesnt it make sense? Look, I love my child... but him not being a weight against my financial goals was key to when we wanted to have children. We dont make a ton of money but I wanted in place before we had any children enough money that if he gets sick I dont have to work on CareCredit to get his medicine paid off. If my roof caves in tomorrow I didnt want to be scrambling to get somoene out here to put a new roof on trying to figure out how to pay for it. It isnt rocket science... It is the way our parents, grandparents, and great grandparents did it. If you want to live in debt your whole life go for it... i just chose a different way is all and it isnt anything earth shattering it is simply not buying things I cant afford

You're about as in touch with reality as Mitt Romny. Sorry.

duwal
09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
agreed with just about everyone on here. All of us that went to college and took out student loans signed the paperwork and knew exactly what we were getting into. We weren't getting free money, we weren't going to be able to say 'hey can you wait until I'm better off in my 40's to help pay this off?' All of these people made choices, they made choices to go to a college that they weren't financially set for or knew they weren't going to make it through without a little bit of assistance. You find a way to pay back what you owe, that's as simple as it gets.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 09:37 PM
agreed with just about everyone on here. All of us that went to college and took out student loans signed the paperwork and knew exactly what we were getting into. We weren't getting free money, we weren't going to be able to say 'hey can you wait until I'm better off in my 40's to help pay this off?' All of these people made choices, they made choices to go to a college that they weren't financially set for or knew they weren't going to make it through without a little bit of assistance. You find a way to pay back what you owe, that's as simple as it gets.

And when the government, who you owe, has screwed the economy so bad you can't find a job that will aford pying them back, then what?

tutall
09-11-2012, 09:46 PM
And when the government, who you owe, has screwed the economy so bad you can't find a job that will aford pying them back, then what?

Dont make excuses... No one cares about you more than you right? I dont expect help if/when I would lose my job. I expect to get back out there and flip burgers if I have to, just to make ends meet. Student loan payments for the average person are 150-200 bucks a month... Most 22-26 year olds I see on a daily basis spend that much going out to eat and at bars in a month..

You're about as in touch with reality as Mitt Romny. Sorry.

You have no idea how wrong you are my friend. Every day I get to spend 8-10 hours a day doing nothing but talking to people from every walk of life... From people trying to squeeze the last cent out of a checking account to millionaires who could write a check and buy half the town I am from. I get to hear many political opinions and excuses people make to me are amazing... I am probably one of the more realistic people you would ever meet... That said I expect a ton out of myself and people I associate with. If I do a loan for someone I expect eery dime with interest paid back. It is my job to asses a financial situation and make a recommendation that is suitable for each person. I am very good at analyzing a persons financials and telling them what my professional opinion is of what they are looking to do with money. When someone comes in and makes excuses about the economy and losing a job when the plant closed in 2008 I cannot help but not feel sorry for them... The only group of people I really do feel for are the near retirees who lost jobs while they were between 55-60 because I really feel they are at a disadvantage but as for college graduates if you can make it through school you are smart enough to make it work

jdawg
09-11-2012, 09:49 PM

get a 2nd job :P im being a smartarse...but seriously when i have more debt then income common sense says get a second source of income lol...i graduated college with close to 65k in debt from student loans and i couldnt find a job in my degrees field so i worked at the local grocery store full time and delivered pizzas 3 nights a week (dont laugh i made a killing at the time averaged close to 15-20 an hour with tips averaged into that) and i paid off all but 14k of my student loans in 3 years...then i went into business for myself which i still currently do and havent looked back since...so styudent loan debt isnt horrible to get out of if you live within your means...and pay more then the minimum payment

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 09:50 PM
There's student loan bills out there that flipping burgers will pay nicely...if you don't mind sleeping under a brudge and never eating.

What I'm saying is the government screwed the people with the loans. Should loans be paid back? Absolutely. Should the iron fist be brought down when flipping burgers is the only real choice of a job? I don't think so, especially since the people owed are the people responsible for burger flipping being the only job. They screwed themselves is the way I see it.

I also have a problem with your idea that poor people shouldn't have children and children of poor people shouldn't get an education...unless your example of how absolutely amazing you were meant something else...

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 09:51 PM
get a 2nd job :P im being a smartarse

They need a first job before they can do that ;)

indexed
09-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I agree it needs reform. I think the reform needs to be more around the cost of college however not really the student loan process... You are correct though about students going to school without a plan... I chat with several students every day at work and it amazes me how many Juniors and Seniors have no idea what they want to go to college for much less what they will do with their degree once they graduate.

ty I think rates are too low. Why they are so low I don't know. If they were higher students would have that plan before they spent tens of thousands of dollars they dont have. They would certainly think about it if rates were 6-8 instead of 2% like now.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 09:55 PM
ty I think rates are too low. Why they are so low I don't know. If they were higher students would have that plan before they spent tens of thousands of dollars they dont have. They would certainly think about it if rates were 6-8 instead of 2% like now.

No. They wouldn't. You might, but the majority wouldn't.

jdawg
09-11-2012, 09:56 PM
They need a first job before they can do that ;)

i havent drove past a mcdonalds that isnt hiring lol..

tutall
09-11-2012, 10:12 PM
There's student loan bills out there that flipping burgers will pay nicely...if you don't mind sleeping under a brudge and never eating.

What I'm saying is the government screwed the people with the loans. Should loans be paid back? Absolutely. Should the iron fist be brought down when flipping burgers is the only real choice of a job? I don't think so, especially since the people owed are the people responsible for burger flipping being the only job. They screwed themselves is the way I see it.

I also have a problem with your idea that poor people shouldn't have children and children of poor people shouldn't get an education...unless your example of how absolutely amazing you were meant something else...

Im not amazing... i probably make less money than you... more than likely quite a bit less. I grew up in my grandparents basement and paid my way through school.. Simply put if I can do it... And I am a knucklehead ask my wife... Anyone else can do it too. I keep saying also I dont have a problem with people without money having children... I simply do not think when you are broke and have kids you should want the government (our tax dollars) covering an education that only benefits one child.

Would you be ok with me getting a check from the government for the amount I paid for my schooling for those years? Why should I be punished for getting a job and paying the debt off myself?

tutall
09-11-2012, 10:18 PM

Rates are the most overrated tool in the finance industry. You could raise them as high as you wanted and people would still borrow money to go to school. I have done quite a few student loans for customers over the years and the biggest decision on whether to take the loan out is payment options over rate. I do think it would be a good idea to require some type of payment be made during school on the interest. That is why a lot of these people in stories like this end up paying so much is the interest is deferred until after graduation which at 6 percent interest for 5 years can add on a large percent. I also wish they would find a way to limit payouts until after the semester as it is becoming more and more of a praxctice to get the student loan check then drop classes and spend the money.

tutall
09-11-2012, 10:21 PM
i havent drove past a mcdonalds that isnt hiring lol..

Or start your own job... Anyone can detail cars or mow yards... transport people who cannot drive, escort semis over the road, make something and sell it, press t-shirts, buy stuff at auctions and resell it on craigslist, remove scrap from peoples yards, pick up pop cans... something... there is always money to be made and people willing to pay for services

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Im not amazing... i probably make less money than you... more than likely quite a bit less. I grew up in my grandparents basement and paid my way through school.. Simply put if I can do it... And I am a knucklehead ask my wife... Anyone else can do it too. I keep saying also I dont have a problem with people without money having children... I simply do not think when you are broke and have kids you should want the government (our tax dollars) covering an education that only benefits one child.

Would you be ok with me getting a check from the government for the amount I paid for my schooling for those years? Why should I be punished for getting a job and paying the debt off myself?

1: I really doubt you make less than me. I would bet my house you make more.

2: You think poor children don't deserve an education. Got it.

JustAlex
09-11-2012, 10:35 PM
This is what Tutall, dru, and others like them don't get or don't care or simply choose to ignore.

Always blame the LAZY, DEADBEATS!

Never look at the outside forces that contributed to their misery!

It's the same with poor people......they're obviously poor because they are either LAZY, want to "leech off" the government, irresponsible, or something to that effect.

Like I said, I sincerely DO hope these people find out what it's like to be in other's shoes, I will feel zero sympathy for those that ridicule and act in such a condescending matter to those that are less fortunate.

JustAlex
09-11-2012, 10:41 PM
The conservative attitude towards all of this is beyond sickening.

It reeks of pure condescension and it is one of the most INHUMAN way to look at things.

Always blame the person for EVERYTHING, never take account that life is unpredictable and when you get a curve ball and strike out you deserve all the blame and zero sympathy.

BTW, if any of you are CHRISTIAN and have this type of attitude.....then I sincerely hope you read your bibles and for the love of YOUR GOD, try to understand the teachings of Jesus.....Mercy, compassion, sympathy, empathy, forgiveness, and blessing those that are less fortunate.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Or start your own job... Anyone can detail cars or mow yards... transport people who cannot drive, escort semis over the road, make something and sell it, press t-shirts, buy stuff at auctions and resell it on craigslist, remove scrap from peoples yards, pick up pop cans... something... there is always money to be made and people willing to pay for services

This is hilarious.

"Can't afford your student loan debts? Go mow a lawn for $10 and sell all your belongings online! You still won't be able to afford your payments, but hey, you're saving the wealthy money through taxes and isn't that more important than eating?"

tutall
09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
The conservative attitude towards all of this is beyond sickening.

It reeks of pure condescension and it is one of the most INHUMAN way to look at things.

Always blame the person for EVERYTHING, never take account that life is unpredictable and when you get a curve ball and strike out you deserve all the blame and zero sympathy.

BTW, if any of you are CHRISTIAN and have this type of attitude.....then I sincerely hope you read your bibles and for the love of YOUR GOD, try to understand the teachings of Jesus.....Mercy, compassion, sympathy, empathy, forgiveness, and blessing those that are less fortunate.

You are confusing several different things here... What you are speaking of is charity... I give to many charities... Ones that I know the money goes towards people who need the help. That is charity and helping my fellow citizen. Giving a handout to someone who chose to go to college but cannot afford it is something I will never support.

tutall
09-11-2012, 10:59 PM

I dont think they dont deserve an education... I think they need to choose a lifestyle they can afford and if they choose to take on more of an education than what they can afford they need a plan to pay for it. I know for a fact you can attend a community college in Indiana for under 5 grand a year...It may not be top of the line education but it will help you get a job. There are tons of jobs out there that do not require a college education. Many well paying jobs and there are also a ton of jobs out there that do require a degree that pay very lousy. I do not feel sorry for someone with a masters in social work who works for the local hospital making 28K per year and has 100K in student loans. Do some research before you choose to go into debt and see what the market looks like

theonedru
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
This is what Tutall, dru, and others like them don't get or don't care or simply choose to ignore.

Always blame the LAZY, DEADBEATS!

Never look at the outside forces that contributed to their misery!

It's the same with poor people......they're obviously poor because they are either LAZY, want to "leech off" the government, irresponsible, or something to that effect.

Like I said, I sincerely DO hope these people find out what it's like to be in other's shoes, I will feel zero sympathy for those that ridicule and act in such a condescending matter to those that are less fortunate.

I have never been without a job since I was 14 ( unless I was traveling ) and I have worked a wide variety of them allowing me to have a unique perspective. its not that hard to work if you really want it. You and your beliefs that you should not work a job that is below you and that its ok to leech off parents and all the other jazz is silly. I am all for helping someone who truly needs it but I will not help someone unwilling to help themselves.

tutall
09-11-2012, 11:05 PM
This is hilarious.

"Can't afford your student loan debts? Go mow a lawn for $10 and sell all your belongings online! You still won't be able to afford your payments, but hey, you're saving the wealthy money through taxes and isn't that more important than eating?"

I can promise you I would sell every item I own before I would let payments go dilenquent. This is how businesses are started every day. 10 bucks may not get you very far but if you put up fliers and find 15 a week to do 150 bucks a week sounds a lot better than 0 doesnt it? Every house in the country has some extra crap laying around... You can take 3 cars a week to the scrapyard and make 3-4 hundred bucks a week. Get some car wax and put up fliers offering to shine up some buicks.... It isnt a hard concept.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 11:19 PM
I can promise you I would sell every item I own before I would let payments go dilenquent.
Right. So poor people who don't have nice things should sell every possession to what, maybe make 1 payment?

This is how businesses are started every day. 10 bucks may not get you very far but if you put up fliers and find 15 a week to do 150 bucks a week sounds a lot better than 0 doesnt it?
Yeah! Especially when it goes to make half a student loan payment. That way you have nothing AND the collectors are after you. Good call!

Every house in the country has some extra crap laying around...
No, not every house does. If you were any more in touch with America than Mitt Romney, you'd know that.

You can take 3 cars a week to the scrapyard and make 3-4 hundred bucks a week.
Right, and poor people can afford to buy 3 cars a week to sell for scrap. Do you hear yourself?

Get some car wax and put up fliers offering to shine up some buicks.... It isnt a hard concept.
Again, enough to make a partial payment. You're trying to get blood from stones so taxes go to politicians' paychecks instead of people who need them. Right now, in this thread, you are a perfect example of half of what is wrong with America, the other half being the (minority of) people who are actually lazy and really don't want to pay.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 11:20 PM
I dont think they dont deserve an education...

Then what purpose did your telling us about being "prepared" before having kids serve? If you do think they deserve an education than that "LOOK HOW GREAT I AM!" post of yours is completely useless instead of the mostly useless I thought it was.

tutall
09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
Right. So poor people who don't have nice things should sell every possession to what, maybe make 1 payment?

Yeah! Especially when it goes to make half a student loan payment. That way you have nothing AND the collectors are after you. Good call!

No, not every house does. If you were any more in touch with America than Mitt Romney, you'd know that.

Right, and poor people can afford to buy 3 cars a week to sell for scrap. Do you hear yourself?

Again, enough to make a partial payment. You're trying to get blood from stones so taxes go to politicians' paychecks instead of people who need them. Right now, in this thread, you are a perfect example of half of what is wrong with America, the other half being the (minority of) people who are actually lazy and really don't want to pay.

First off.... You have obviously never gone scrapping.. You dont buy the cars... you dig them out of the weeds and get rid of them for the land owner... second, I am not saying selling possessions is a way of life... but if selling a few things can keep the lights on for another month you have a decision to make... If you choose to not pay the bill dont get upset when the collector comes around looking for money... I dont work for free and neither do you. You borrowed money/used services and the company expects to be paid.

You are reading way too much into the small jobs things I have posted... My simple point was if you choose to sit around and play facebook all day you arent going to make money.. There are a ton of jobs out there anyone can do to raise some money... Is mowing yards a long term solution? Maybe... I know some pretty wealthy landscapers out there who built businesses from nothing... But if nothing else it is a great way to earn some money through the summer with ittle to no start up expenses if you already have a mower.

tutall
09-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Then what purpose did your telling us about being "prepared" before having kids serve? If you do think they deserve an education than that "LOOK HOW GREAT I AM!" post of yours is completely useless instead of the mostly useless I thought it was.

Everyone can go to college.... Everyone should also pay for college... Whether you pay for it up front or pay it off over the next 30 years everyone needs to pay for what they get... How is that a hard concept? Im not sure how me saying I can afford to pay my bills is a look how great I am post... It is what it is.

Wickabee
09-11-2012, 11:47 PM
Aahh, see, where I come from the owners charge for those cars or tell you to get the hell off their property. Most people don't give them away for nothing. <br />
<br />
<br />
A lot of people ONLY have a few...

tutall
09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Aahh, see, where I come from the owners charge for those cars or tell you to get the hell off their property. Most people don't give them away for nothing. <br />
<br />
If you can buy the cars for less than...

duwal
09-12-2012, 12:28 AM

you keep looking for another job or you go where the jobs are. Just because someone goes to college does not mean that they are automatically entitled to a job that will fit perfectly into place or that something will open up just for them or that they will need to get a job to help pay for it WHILE they are going to school. During my years at law school I also worked at an exhaust and muffler shop and at the public library to make sure. I think everyone deserves an education but I absolutely believe it should be at the means that they can afford. Can't afford a University?? Try community college, even if it is just a step up to try and get into a better college in a period of time later. There are jobs out there that can absolutely help people out and there are ways of getting by, things being tight and struggling. But the people like the one in the original story??? How can anyone find sympathy for her?? She borrowed 55k for college and then dropped out of college. She had choices for going to college and she chose one that dug her into a big hole

ensbergcollector
09-12-2012, 01:01 AM
ok, i see a lot of people talking about situations and it not being people's faults that things didn't work out, etc. You still signed on the dotted line. No where on my student loan application did it say "to be paid back as long as you are gainfully employed and it is convenient for you." The loan companies are not bad guys for expecting people to honor their contract. I absolutely understand that people are in rough situations that they didn't plan on. I don't think they are bad people and I don't think they are lazy people. However, to imply that the loan companies are bad guys is ridiculous.
So, honest question, should the loan companies just excuse 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars in debt because times are tough?

I work with high school and college students. One of the things I talk to them about is thinking through their major, what they want to do with their lives, and the viability of making a living with their degree.

My wife knew she wanted to be a stay at home mom so instead of going to college and acquiring debt, she worked. Now, we don't have any student loan debt of hers to worry about. I have multiple friends whose wives went to school and left with literally 50k-75k of student loan debt and do not want to work. They want to stay at home and feel angry that they have to work.

now, i am not saying that is typical but it is also not rare. Nor is it gender specific. I have a good friend right now who wants to do a certain job when he graduates but his parents think he should get an engineering degree first so he will have something to fall back on. If he wants to keep the partial financial help they offer, he has to get a degree he doesn't even want.

Wickabee
09-12-2012, 01:09 AM
You're all forgetting the ones calling in the loans are the ones who created the climate to make those who took out the loans unable to pay them.

And tutal, you said cut a couple lawns. If that's a "landscaping business" I was an entrepreneur at 13, and I know I wasn't an entrepreneur at 13.

mrveggieman
09-12-2012, 09:47 AM

I don't know if I make more or less money than any of ya'll on here but I guarantee that my wife can spend the money that I do make faster than any of your wives can. :sign0020:

tutall
09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
You're all forgetting the ones calling in the loans are the ones who created the climate to make those who took out the loans unable to pay them.

And tutal, you said cut a couple lawns. If that's a "landscaping business" I was an entrepreneur at 13, and I know I wasn't an entrepreneur at 13.

enĚtreĚpreĚneur   /ˌɑntrəprəˈnɜr, -ˈnʊər; Fr. ɑ̃trəprəˈnœr/ Show Spelled [ahn-truh-pruh-nur, -noor; Fr. ahn-truh-pruh-nœr] Show IPA noun, plural enĚtreĚpreĚneurs  /-ˈnɜrz, -ˈnʊərz; Fr. -ˈnœr/ Show Spelled[-nurz, -noorz; Fr. -nœr] Show IPA, verb
noun
1. a person who organizes and manages any enterprise, especially a business, usually with considerable initiative and risk.
2. an employer of productive labor; contractor.

Id say you were... There are people in my area who make a killing doing landscaping.... One customer of mine does nothing but cut grass and trim trees and I would guess he flows no less than 75-80K through his account on a yearly basis... You get out of it what you put into it...

Wickabee
09-12-2012, 07:49 PM
I had no enterprise and no business. Two old ladies paid me $20 each week to cut their lawns.

boba
09-12-2012, 08:11 PM
tutall deserves some major

CHURCH :love0030::love0030::love0030:X1,000,000

for his work on this thread. I agree with everything he says here.

cbuskstwar
09-12-2012, 08:25 PM
tutall deserves some major

CHURCH :love0030::love0030::love0030:X1,000,000

for his work on this thread. I agree with everything he says here.

I agree +1

jaybird_1981
09-12-2012, 09:11 PM
tutall is on point in this thread.