PDA

View Full Version : "A" Is for Agitation: Radical Chicago Teachers on Parade

mikesilvia
09-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis walks, talks and barks like a rootsy Occupy Wall Street activist. But this Big Labor loudmouth who's leading the abandonment of nearly 400,000 schoolchildren in the Windy...

More... (http://www.townhall.com/columnists/MichelleMalkin/2012/09/12/a_is_for_agitation_radical_chicago_teachers_on_par ade)

Star_Cards
09-12-2012, 11:20 AM
I haven't looked at this topic all that much but from what I understand the main issue they are still trying to get is a better way to evaluate teachers. I'm of the belief that much more goes into evaluating a teacher than just looking at standardized tests scores. Heck, not even students are evaluated solely on those scores. When I was in school none of our grades were based on those test scores. Why evaluate the teachers by them if you don't evaluate the individual students by them. I can see part of their evaluation coming from that but there is so much more to a good teacher than just those scores.

AUTaxMan
09-12-2012, 12:26 PM
I believe the methodology proposed is sound. From what I understand, it's not just based on performance, but it's based on performance relative to the student scoring levels at the beginning of the year. Thus, you are evaluating them on progress relative to themselves, not relative to some desired standard.