PDA

View Full Version : US officials say 2 warships moving toward Libya

pwaldo
09-12-2012, 09:31 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/us-officials-2-warships-moving-toward-libya-231547807.html

U.S. officials say the Pentagon is moving two warships to the Libyan coast, in the aftermath of the attack in Benghazi that killed the U.S. ambassador and three others.

Officials say one destroyer, the USS Laboon, moved to a position off the coast Wednesday, and the USS McFaul is en route and should be stationed off the coast within days. The officials say the ships, which carry Tomahawk missiles, do not have a specific mission. But they give commanders flexibility to respond to any mission ordered by the president.

The destroyers have crews totaling about 300. There have been four destroyers in the Mediterranean for some time. These moves will increase that to five.

AUTaxMan
09-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I don't understand why we didn't just start mowing people down once they breached the wall at the embassy.

indexed
09-13-2012, 12:24 AM
i have a feeling things are getting really bad right before our eyes. Needless to say Im not 100% trust worthy of our commander in chief JS

JustAlex
09-13-2012, 12:30 AM
The United States of Overreacting towards EVERYTHING!

Completely UNNECESSARY!

indexed
09-13-2012, 12:42 AM
The United States of Overreacting towards EVERYTHING!

Completely UNNECESSARY!

Over reacting? isnt this terrorism? On the anniversary, it was planed and cant be allowed.

JustAlex
09-13-2012, 01:18 AM
Over reacting? isnt this terrorism? On the anniversary, it was planed and cant be allowed.
Who cares, do we need to send two warships because of this?

Are we going to kill thousands of people (some of them innocent) because of this?

Are we going to invade them once they realize how much they don't like being threatened this way....and they start fighting back?

You don't start a war over something this small!

And I personally, wouldn't have started a war over 9/11 either.....look what that brought us!

indexed
09-13-2012, 01:32 AM

Are we going to kill thousands of people (some of them innocent) because of this?

Are we going to invade them once they realize how much they don't like being threatened this way....and they start fighting back?

And I personally, wouldn't have started a war over 9/11 either.....look what that brought us!

well the democracy in Iraq is looking much better then this Arab Spring stuff Obama got started in Lybia, Egypt etc etc.

Speaking of Arab Spring this is all the money.. We are now funding the Muslim Brotherhood with money that used to go to the former Egyptian gov't to prevent this kind of stuff in the first place. Billions going to a radical group now running Lybia and Egypt.

Lets not forget, the Arab Spring which began under Obama was started because of HIS economic policies. Our foreign aid we sent wasn't buying the goods it was under Bush and led to revolt.

JustAlex
09-13-2012, 01:53 AM
well the democracy in Iraq is looking much better then this Arab Spring stuff Obama got started in Lybia, Egypt etc etc.

You're kidding right?

We killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqis and lost thousands of U.S soldiers, and you think that is a better method than a country freely choosing it's own path without the need of a costly war that costs thousands upon thousands of lives???

Speaking of Arab Spring this is all the money.. We are now funding the Muslim Brotherhood with money that used to go to the former Egyptian gov't to prevent this kind of stuff in the first place. Billions going to a radical group now running Lybia and Egypt.

Lets not forget, the Arab Spring which began under Obama was started because of HIS economic policies. Our foreign aid we sent wasn't buying the goods it was under Bush and led to revolt.

OK, now I've heard it all.....Obama started the Arab Spring? And which part of a nation freely choosing to pick it's path is bad? Just because you don't like who they elect does not mean that we FORCE them into our brand of democracy. Hell, our brand of democracy is TERRIBLE, look at all the nonsense from both parties, look at how this country is divided, the reason we're not killing each other is because we have law and order, in Iraq they didn't so they had a civil war, is that what you want? Civil war for other countries?

Responses in bold.

indexed
09-13-2012, 01:59 AM
Responses in bold.

Obama started it because of his economic policies. Without his baseless devaluing of the USD this would have never happened. In fact check other sources, Moodys is now about to downgrade our credit. The people rose up because our aid became worthless. It was planed and done by design. Moodys isn't stupid and you should read between the lines and look at the timing.

AUTaxMan
09-13-2012, 09:54 AM

How old were you when 9/11 happened?

mrveggieman
09-13-2012, 10:01 AM

He may not be as old as we are but he just like the rest of us has access to books, the internet, tv, newspapers etc so he can make just as much as an informed decision about 9/11 as anyone else. Hell on the cool my opionion should carry more weight that most people on here because I worked and lived about 20 minutes away from the pentagon on the fateful day and I used to do some gov't contracting in the pentagon a few years before 2001.

pghin08
09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Obama started it because of his economic policies. Without his baseless devaluing of the USD this would have never happened. In fact check other sources, Moodys is now about to downgrade our credit. The people rose up because our aid became worthless. It was planed and done by design. Moodys isn't stupid and you should read between the lines and look at the timing.

As someone who works in the financial services industry, I feel the need to say a couple things.

1. I'm not saying that Moody's is stupid, per se. But where do the best and the brightest financial minds go to work? Hint: it's not Moody's. It's usually somewhere like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc.

2. Moody's has had a "negative" outlook on US credit for over 13 months now, all they said was that they were re-enforcing that.

3. This was likely done in preparation for the "fiscal cliff" set to take place in the beginning of 2013. My view on this has been backed up by about 95% of the people I talk to: It's overblown. Let's face it, our legislators are not interested in massive change happening quickly, which this surely would be. The far more likely scenario is that we again "punt" this problem down the road. Our government isn't stupid, they understand the consequences of the cuts/tax increases set to take place. We've seen what massive, quick austerity has done to a lot of European countries, and it's definitely reasonable to say that sharp tax increases will stunt economic growth as well. Whatever the government does, it will be done gradually. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bush-era tax cuts be extended for EVERYONE, I think the Dems will cave on that. The Dems may get a hike in cap gains rate or something like that, but they won't get most of what they want.

I'm a Democrat, but the fact that Obama has ignored the Simpson-Bowles plan that he himself commissioned disturbs me.

AUTaxMan
09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm a Democrat, but the fact that Obama has ignored the Simpson-Bowles plan that he himself commissioned disturbs me.

It's mind-boggling really. As far as I can tell, he really has no economic policy and no interest in developing one.

angel0430
09-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Back on track on the subject: I hope they intend to use this two warships.

cbuskstwar
09-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Back on track on the subject: I hope they intend to use this two warships.

Being in the Navy for a few years, way back when, I really hope it doesn't come down to us using those ships.

Star_Cards
09-13-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't think it's an overreaction. Sounds like they are going just in case further incidents happen. Seems like a logical thing to do as a precaution.

indexed
09-13-2012, 04:27 PM
As someone who works in the financial services industry, I feel the need to say a couple things.

1. I'm not saying that Moody's is stupid, per se. But where do the best and the brightest financial minds go to work? Hint: it's not Moody's. It's usually somewhere like Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan, etc.

2. Moody's has had a "negative" outlook on US credit for over 13 months now, all they said was that they were re-enforcing that.

3. This was likely done in preparation for the "fiscal cliff" set to take place in the beginning of 2013. My view on this has been backed up by about 95% of the people I talk to: It's overblown. Let's face it, our legislators are not interested in massive change happening quickly, which this surely would be. The far more likely scenario is that we again "punt" this problem down the road. Our government isn't stupid, they understand the consequences of the cuts/tax increases set to take place. We've seen what massive, quick austerity has done to a lot of European countries, and it's definitely reasonable to say that sharp tax increases will stunt economic growth as well. Whatever the government does, it will be done gradually. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bush-era tax cuts be extended for EVERYONE, I think the Dems will cave on that. The Dems may get a hike in cap gains rate or something like that, but they won't get most of what they want.

you are basically backing up my point. Especially point number two. Im sure Moodys would take into account what ever GS, JP Morgan etc says before they decided. All Im saying is this situation is poli sci 101 plain and clear. Its being completely mishandled and botched. Just makes me wonder why. The only logical explanation I can adhere to is Soros. The rest is well out of my pay scale. JS

pwaldo
09-13-2012, 04:37 PM
He may not be as old as we are but he just like the rest of us has access to books, the internet, tv, newspapers etc so he can make just as much as an informed decision about 9/11 as anyone else.

Sorry but living something and reading a book about the same thing aren't the same at all. It can give you a perspective but you aren't going to fully understand it without having been there.

pwaldo
09-13-2012, 04:39 PM
He may not be as old as we are but he just like the rest of us has access to books, the internet, tv, newspapers etc so he can make just as much as an informed decision about 9/11 as anyone else.

Sorry but living something and reading a book about the same thing aren't the same at all. It can give you a perspective but you aren't going to fully understand it without having been there.

pghin08
09-13-2012, 04:44 PM
you are basically backing up my point. Especially point number two. Im sure Moodys would take into account what ever GS, JP Morgan etc says before they decided. All Im saying is this situation is poli sci 101 plain and clear. Its being completely mishandled and botched. Just makes me wonder why. The only logical explanation I can adhere to is Soros. The rest is well out of my pay scale. JS

Okay, you're the President. This happens under your watch. How do you react?

mrveggieman
09-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Justalex is around 24 years old if I'm not mistaken. 9-11-01 occured 11 years ago which would have made him 13 years old. He made not have understood the gravity of the situation back then but Im sure that he remembers some of it and has an opinion. What makes his impressions of 9/11 less important than anyone was else? Unless you were either at The Pentagon, The WTC or the flight that crashed in Penn or unless you lived or visited the local area after the incident then your prespective is just as much as his. I was living in the metro dc area on 9-11-01 although thank God I was not working at the pentagon so I have a more up close prospective of what happened.

pwaldo
09-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Justalex is around 24 years old if I'm not mistaken. 9-11-01 occured 11 years ago which would have made him 13 years old. He made have understood the gravity of the situation back then but Im sure that he remembers some of it and has an opinion. What makes his impressions of 9/11 less important than anyone was else. Unless you were either at The Pentagon, The WTC or the flight that crashed in Penn or unless you lived or visited the local area after the incident then your prespective is just as much as his. I was living in the metro dc area on 9-11-01 although thank God I was not working at the pentagon so I have a more up close prospective of what happened.

I wasn't really making the comment about him. It was more just a general comment that you don't fully understand something unless you have been through it. I can read and watch movies about the Holocaust but I'm never going to get the same feel of the horror as the people who went through it.

mrveggieman
09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
I wasn't really making the comment about him. It was more just a general comment that you don't fully understand something unless you have been through it. I can read and watch movies about the Holocaust but I'm never going to get the same feel of the horror as the people who went through it.

Yeah I don't think that any of us where around during the holocoust so none of us on here can appreciate the gravity of it. I was 15 during the first Iraq war, 17 during the first WTC bombing, 19 during the OKC bombing and 26 during 9/11. I have clear memories of all of those unfortunate situations.

bud7562
09-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Over reacting? isnt this terrorism? On the anniversary, it was planed and cant be allowed. its going to start a war,its time for re-election??

INTIMADATOR2007
09-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Since Obummer likes to use drones so much , how about he fly a couple over egypt and show em' some love . Opp's don't want to upset the Muslims though .

Wickabee
09-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Since Obummer likes to use drones so much , how about he fly a couple over egypt and show em' some love . Opp's don't want to upset the Muslims though .

Did you just rag on the guy for killing terrorists and for not killing terrorists at the same time?

Man, that kind of double-talk takes some talent. You should run for office. You double-talk better than any politician I know.

jonnylg
09-13-2012, 10:29 PM
I was 7 on 09-11-01

JustAlex
09-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Old enough.

Justalex is around 24 years old if I'm not mistaken. 9-11-01 occured 11 years ago which would have made him 13 years old. He made not have understood the gravity of the situation back then but Im sure that he remembers some of it and has an opinion. What makes his impressions of 9/11 less important than anyone was else? Unless you were either at The Pentagon, The WTC or the flight that crashed in Penn or unless you lived or visited the local area after the incident then your prespective is just as much as his. I was living in the metro dc area on 9-11-01 although thank God I was not working at the pentagon so I have a more up close prospective of what happened.
I'll agree with you that I might not have fully understood the gravity of the situation back then.....but....

Trust me, I was just like everyone else, wanting to kill EVERYONE from the middle east.

I had so much hatred inside of me, I lived in New York from ages 10 - 11, and I loved those towers, they were more iconic than the Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, basically everything except the Statue of Liberty.

However, I've grown up, and I've seen the utter futility that is War, I no longer want it....under most circumstances I believe the U.S should restrain itself as much as possible.

AUTaxMan
09-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Old enough.

I'll agree with you that I might not have fully understood the gravity of the situation back then.....but....

Trust me, I was just like everyone else, wanting to kill EVERYONE from the middle east.

I had so much hatred inside of me, I lived in New York from ages 10 - 11, and I loved those towers, they were more iconic than the Empire State Building, Brooklyn Bridge, basically everything except the Statue of Liberty.

However, I've grown up, and I've seen the utter futility that is War, I no longer want it....under most circumstances I believe the U.S should restrain itself as much as possible.

Both wars are futile, but to say that we should never have gone to war in hindsight is picking the low-hanging fruit. Obviously, the Iraq war was a bad decision. However, at the time, it was supported by most, and it was based on what we thought was credible intelligence. The Afghan war was necessary, but we should have been out of there years ago.

Wickabee
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Both wars are futile, but to say that we should never have gone to war in hindsight is picking the low-hanging fruit. Obviously, the Iraq war was a bad decision. However, at the time, it was supported by most, and it was based on what we thought was credible intelligence. The Afghan war was necessary, but we should have been out of there years ago.

The Iraq war made absolutely no sense then. We were told by the CIA there were WMDs.
We were told by everyone else they were nowhere to be found.
You went in anyway and found out that...

Everyone else was right...