PDA

View Full Version : We must FIGHT for freedom of speech!

JustAlex
09-15-2012, 05:22 PM
The insanity of extremists Muslims has once again shocked the world.

These guys are down right cowardly, they are so insecure about their pathetic faith, their made up god, and their way of life, that their solution to anything and everything they don't like is violence to an exaggerated level.

The only thing their nonsense will accomplish is more alienation, more hatred towards them, and more Westerners mocking everything about their religion and culture.

However, our government is trying to censor freedom of speech by condemning the "Innocence of Muslims" video and even going so far as to ask google to remove it???

SHAME on our government!

Freedom of speech is what makes a country truly free, and if there is something that all of us can agree on it's that this is something that we must always fight for and never back down from it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM

Rockman
09-15-2012, 06:31 PM

These guys are down right cowardly, they are so insecure about their pathetic faith, their made up god, and their way of life, that their solution to anything and everything they don't like is violence to an exaggerated level.

The only thing their nonsense will accomplish is more alienation, more hatred towards them, and more Westerners mocking everything about their religion and culture.

However, our government is trying to censor freedom of speech by condemning the "Innocence of Muslims" video and even going so far as to ask google to remove it???

SHAME on our government!

Freedom of speech is what makes a country truly free, and if there is something that all of us can agree on it's that this is something that we must always fight for and never back down from it.

I said it before and I'll say it again.... The Muslim world is going through some growing pains right now. Islam is about 600 years younger than Christianity and Christians were doing some pretty horrendous stuff 600 years ago. Who knows how Christianity would have reacted 600 years ago if the world had all the technology and resources then that it has now. Religion is different than people, it ages and evolves slower than we do as a society.

Their faith isn't pathetic, we can't just expect people to adopt our way of life because we believe that it is better or more civilized. The world doesn't work like that, and you of all people should understand that. Is what is happening in the Middle East tragic? Absolutely. Should the government have asked to take the video off? Absolutely not.

And this quote....

Can absolutely be flipped around. The only thing making movies like this will accomplish is more alienation, more hatred towards them (Americans), and blah blah blah.

Just because we have freedom of speech doesn't mean we should be idiots. It's clear Muslims in the Middle East don't appreciate their faith being mocked, (and we have had examples of this before) just because we think they are wrong to resort to violence, doesn't mean we are right for mocking them or they deserved to be mocked.

And its a shame that something that is clearly disrespectful is being used as a tool to promote freedom of speech and human rights.

Edit: And Alex if you respond please don't go on a rant about how you hate all religion and you think all religion is dangerous. I know, we all know. I'm not crazy about it either.

drtom2005
09-15-2012, 06:51 PM
I disagree Rockman. People have the right to say and think what they think as long as they do not hurt people. While I think there could be a better approach to bring Islamic radicals to the modern world, there is a place for ridicule.

Of course, the man who created this video should be ready for the blacklash.

JustAlex
09-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Just because we have freedom of speech doesn't mean we should be idiots. It's clear Muslims in the Middle East don't appreciate their faith being mocked, (and we have had examples of this before) just because we think they are wrong to resort to violence, doesn't mean we are right for mocking them or they deserved to be mocked.

And its a shame that something that is clearly disrespectful is being used as a tool to promote freedom of speech and human rights.
It doesn't matter how bad the movie is, it doesn't matter how disrespectful, racist, ignorant, and utterly stupid it is.

That person has every right to do it, just like the KKK has every right to say the things they do, this is what freedom of speech is.

It's a two way street, and we might not always like it (especially when it's being used against us) but it's a necessary evil/blessing.

Edit: And Alex if you respond please don't go on a rant about how you hate all religion and you think all religion is dangerous. I know, we all know. I'm not crazy about it either.
That was never going to happen.

Here's the thing....I will be the first to say how dangerous religions are and I guess this incident would be the perfect example for me to use.

However, as much as I dislike it, I would fight for your right as well as anyone else's right to believe what you want to believe.

Trust me when I tell you, that Freedom of Speech is the greatest thing the U.S has ever stood behind of, our petty squabbles are only possible because of this amazing right.

The fact that I can say and do whatever I please (as long as I don't harm others) is a testament to freedom of speech, we must never forget that.

AUTaxMan
09-15-2012, 07:06 PM

SHAME on our government!

One of the few times I've ever agreed with you. The government has no business outing the maker of this film or investigating him for anything.

tpeichel
09-15-2012, 08:14 PM
JustAlex,
I couldn't agree with you more. Best post I've read from you.

habsheaven
09-15-2012, 09:04 PM
I have no problem with the government asking google to remove the video. Just because you have the freedom to say something doesn't mean you should. Just because google has the right to leave it up, doesn't mean they should. The government isn't forcing them to remove it. This is no different than that idiot in Florida that was going to burn the Koran. We all thought that was a bad idea despite his right to do it. No one was up in arms complaining about everyone advising him not to do it.

ensbergcollector
09-15-2012, 09:35 PM
the idea that our response to muslim violence should be to censor any criticism of islam is ridiculous. I am not supporting the movie but people have begun taking the track of "it is best for everyone if we just don't say anything bad about islam."

what we will have learned is that if you commit enough acts of violence then people will be scared of you and never criticize you again.

if the government can ask google to remove the video does that mean that the government should disallow any movie, book, tv show, or anything that is critical of islam so we can avoid future violence? It is ok to criticize jews, christians, hindus, atheists, etc. because they won't kill anyone but we should avoid islam.

JustAlex
09-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I have no problem with the government asking google to remove the video. Just because you have the freedom to say something doesn't mean you should.

Agreed, but the video is already done.....taking it down would mean that their terror tactics do in fact work, and the next time, all they have to do is start killing people and they'll have it their way again.

Just because google has the right to leave it up, doesn't mean they should. The government isn't forcing them to remove it. This is no different than that idiot in Florida that was going to burn the Koran. We all thought that was a bad idea despite his right to do it. No one was up in arms complaining about everyone advising him not to do it.

Yes, I remember that, I remember thinking just like you, he has the right to do it, but he probably shouldn't. Then again, There were various people who did in fact burn Korans and Bibles alike to show that we live in a country where we can do these things. It's the principle that matters in this case.

We should be able to do these things no matter how insulting it might be to others, as long as we don't harm anyone of course.

So I know that this is where someone might say that these actions have negative consequences....but that doesn't matter, we can't control those outside the U.S, if they want to act like savages, so be it. We will not change our ways, we have every right to ridicule any religion if we wish to do so.

I think South Park said it best with that controversial episode some years ago.....it showed just how ridiculous it is for Muslims to act in this matter, and it showed that as a country we should never bow down to terror tactics.

responses in bold

mrveggieman
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again.... The Muslim world is going through some growing pains right now. Islam is about 600 years younger than Christianity and Christians were doing some pretty horrendous stuff 600 years ago. Who knows how Christianity would have reacted 600 years ago if the world had all the technology and resources then that it has now. Religion is different than people, it ages and evolves slower than we do as a society.

Their faith isn't pathetic, we can't just expect people to adopt our way of life because we believe that it is better or more civilized. The world doesn't work like that, and you of all people should understand that. Is what is happening in the Middle East tragic? Absolutely. Should the government have asked to take the video off? Absolutely not.

And this quote....

Can absolutely be flipped around. The only thing making movies like this will accomplish is more alienation, more hatred towards them (Americans), and blah blah blah.

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:
CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030: