PDA

View Full Version : Iran increases reward for Salman Rushdie's death

pwaldo
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/report-reward-rushdies-death-boosted-iran-163637261.html?_esi=1

A semi-official religious foundation in Iran has increased a reward it had offered for the killing of British author Salman Rushdie to $3.3 million from $2.8 million, a newspaper reported, days after protests coursed through the Muslim world over alleged insults to the Prophet Muhammad.

Hardline Jomhoori Eslami daily and other newspapers reported on Sunday that the move appeared to be linked to protests over an amateurish anti-Islam film, which crowds in some 20 countries said drove them to defend their faith in some cases by attacking American embassies.

The report said the 15 Khordad Foundation will pay the higher reward to whoever acts on the 1989 fatwa, or religious edict, issued by Iran's late leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, which called for the death of the author "The Satanic Verses" because the novel was considered blasphemous.

The paper said the decision to boost the original reward, offered in the 1990s, came from foundation head Ayatollah Hassan Saneii.

"As long as the exalted Imam Khomeini's historical fatwa against apostate Rushdie is not carried out, it won't be the last insult. If the fatwa had been carried out, later insults in the form of caricature, articles and films that have continued would have not happened," the paper quoted Saneii as saying.

Iran's hardliners say Khomeini's fatwa is "irrevocable."

Khomeini's fatwa sent Rushdie into hiding under police protection, but that didn't stop him from writing more novels. In 1990, he published an apology and reiterated his respect for Islam.

Also on Sunday, thousands of clerics gathered in seminaries across Iran to protest the anti-Islamic movie, state TV reported.

Ahmad Khatami, an ally of the country's top leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, told a gathering in In the holy city of Qom, 130 kilometers south of the capital Tehran, that the United States and Israel were the "main suspects" in the case.

His remarks prompted "death to Israel and "down with the U.S." chants by demonstrators.

mrveggieman
09-17-2012, 11:03 AM
What would be the point of killing Rusdie after all these years? He would actually be considered a matyr for the anti-islam movement. Don't the know every time that they mention this guy's name someone reads his book. Stop giving him free publicity.

AUTaxMan
09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Has anyone here read the Satanic Verses? I have not.

mrveggieman
09-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Has anyone here read the Satanic Verses? I have not.

I have wanted to read it out of curiousity just like mien kempf. However I don't know if I could make it all the way through knowing that both books would be full of hateful propaganda.

pghin08
09-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I have wanted to read it out of curiousity just like mien kempf. However I don't know if I could make it all the way through knowing that both books would be full of hateful propaganda.

1. Don't read Mein Kampf, it's monumentally stupid.

2. The Satanic Verses is actually good. It's not full of hateful propaganda at all. It's a novel, first off. It's kind of like the Muslim population has taken this as a religious doctrine from Rushdie, it isn't at all. It's pure fiction. In their mind, he desecrates the prophet Muhammad by calling him "Mahound" (which I guess is derogatory in the Muslim faith). There are a few other things in there, but still, it's fictional. I can't understand getting so upset over something that's not even trying to be perceived as legitimate.

AUTaxMan
09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
1. Don't read Mein Kampf, it's monumentally stupid.

2. The Satanic Verses is actually good. It's not full of hateful propaganda at all. It's a novel, first off. It's kind of like the Muslim population has taken this as a religious doctrine from Rushdie, it isn't at all. It's pure fiction. In their mind, he desecrates the prophet Muhammad by calling him "Mahound" (which I guess is derogatory in the Muslim faith). There are a few other things in there, but still, it's fictional. I can't understand getting so upset over something that's not even trying to be perceived as legitimate.

That's basically what I've heard about both.