PDA

View Full Version : Mittens is INSANELY out of touch....says Middle Class earns $250K???

JustAlex
09-17-2012, 02:04 AM
Mitt Romney has so much money, he's so out of touch and completely STUPID on how real Americans live that he actually believes that an average Middle Class family makes.....$200K - $250K!!!

Romney is a BUFFOON who has probably never even been inside a REAL middle class family home!

http://www.freep.com/article/20120914/NEWS15/120914066/romney-says-middle-class-income-250000 (http://www.freep.com/article/20120914/NEWS15/120914066/romney-says-middle-class-income-250000)

"Is $100,000 middle income?" Stephanopoulos asked."No, middle income is $200,000 to $250,000 and less," Romney responded.

His campaign later clarified that Romney was referencing household income, not individual income.

The Census Bureau reported this week that the median household income — the midpoint for the nation — is just over $50,000.
^"Middle income" for a household....NOT an individual.....a household in America is $50K....NOT $250K!!!

I just want to say that my family is lower middle class and we earn about $40K - $45K per year, in Romney's world we don't even exist!

indexed
09-17-2012, 02:33 AM
I kind of agree. America has really never had a very strong middle class. In fact I believe we never had one. But middle class means you can afford a nice house, in a nice area with good schools. It means you can afford a nice car every 5-7 years. You should be able to send two kids to a half way decent college. Now, you tell me how much does all that cost? You have to be extremely lucky to make it into the middle class these days. 250,000 actually sound about right as far as what it takes after taxes and all to live a middle class lifestyle. Now in the 60's and early 70's you could get a new car for 3,000 and a house at the beach for under 50,000 so back then 25-35k was considered middle class. We went off the gold standard and started monetizing the national debt with more national debt. This pushes up the cost of living on a daily basis.
I don't think he is happy with the fact you need to make so much money to be in the middle class.

JustAlex
09-17-2012, 02:48 AM
Middle class means what it means.

Middle.....Class.

Not poor, not rich.....you're in the Middle.

If Romney Thinks that $250K is "Middle" he is INSANE!!!

While some people would say that $250K is not overwhelmingly rich, just to give you a perspective of how much $250K really is......you would have to earn $120/hour to make $250K!!!

So in a traditional household each person would have to be earning at least $60/hour!

Um.....just so we're clear, the national minimum wage is about $7.50/hour!

Seriously.....where does the GOP get their insane numbers from?

$50K in a household is the average, sorry to burst your bubbles GOP.....we're NOT made of money in America!

indexed
09-17-2012, 02:54 AM
Middle class means what it means.

Middle.....Class.

Not poor, not rich.....you're in the Middle.

If Romney Thinks that $250K is "Middle" he is INSANE!!!

While some people would say that $250K is not overwhelmingly rich, just to give you a perspective of how much $250K really is......you would have to earn $120/hour to make $250K!!!

So in a traditional household each person would have to be earning at least $60/hour!

Um.....just so we're clear, the national minimum wage is about $7.50/hour!

Seriously.....where does the GOP get their insane numbers from?

$50K in a household is the average, sorry to burst your bubbles GOP.....we're NOT made of money in America!

see we are talking about two different things. Yo uare saying the average salary puts you in the middle class. Im saying the average salary isnt the same thing as being in the middle class. Im talking a certain lifestyle that you would expect if you were in the middle class. Thats a nice car, house, good school etc. You can't get any of that with 50k a year.
Plus after taxes on the 250k what would said family REALLY and ACTUALLY be bringing home? I'm sure with federal and state taxes they take a 30% haircut.

JustAlex
09-17-2012, 04:01 AM
see we are talking about two different things. Yo uare saying the average salary puts you in the middle class. Im saying the average salary isnt the same thing as being in the middle class. Im talking a certain lifestyle that you would expect if you were in the middle class. Thats a nice car, house, good school etc. You can't get any of that with 50k a year.
Plus after taxes on the 250k what would said family REALLY and ACTUALLY be bringing home? I'm sure with federal and state taxes they take a 30% haircut.
OK, that's fine and I fully understand your response.

But I don't view middle class the same way.

I don't believe you have to live in a very nice suburb and drive a brand new car and have a huge house to be "middle class".

Guess what man.....Most people can't afford a nice car, house, good school, etc...

So, if a reputable consensus is telling you that the AVERAGE American household is only bringing in about $50K, why would anyone think that "Middle Class" is somehow 5X more than that?

No, that makes you "Upper Class".

"Middle Class" are regular Americans, who make enough to pay all their bills and can afford a decent living.

"Lower Class" (or "Working Class") are Americans who are making below average income, and probably don't have any abundance in resources.

JustAlex
09-17-2012, 04:20 AM
BTW....since I can tell this thread is going this way.....here you go:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e5/Class_US.svg/500px-Class_US.svg.png

As you can see.....$250K is NO WHERE in the Middle Class!

indexed
09-17-2012, 04:35 AM
all Im saying is middle class and average wages are two different topics. But to me middle class means nice house, not huge, nice car ever 7 years not luxury but camary or accord or suv or truck. Sending your kids to nice public schools not one with metal detectors. Problem is wages have not risen with inflation. They base our wages on the consumer model while there "official" numbers are wholesale.

angel0430
09-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I guess I am poor. I am way below that standard. Being in the military we do not make a lot of money.

AUTaxMan
09-17-2012, 09:17 AM
Haven't BOTH sides essentially defined the upper end of the middle class as $250,000? Obama has been talking about that as a middle-class benchmark for 4 years.