PDA

View Full Version : Why I am no longer a Christian

mrveggieman
09-19-2012, 11:39 AM
I was messing around online looking for something totally unrelated and stumbled onto this. I thought about Habs, Justalex, Starcards and everyone's good budy Gatorboymike when I found this. Enjoy.

BTW I am just posting it for the group to discuss. These videos do not neccessaliry reflect my personal views.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/why-i-am-no-longer-a-christian/

Star_Cards
09-19-2012, 12:54 PM
hmm... I listened to his entro and then the next video was 10 minutes. Doubt I'll listen to the whole thing, but I am interested in his deconversion. I may try to jump to that part.

I did listen to the first part of the 10 minutes video and he starts off saying he was born into his religion. That pretty mush how it usually works. I know some people find religions in their adult life, but for most they are taught it just as they are taught the colors, the letters, and what certain items are. They are told these things along with religion so it is engrained that they are absolutes. This is why people are so protective of their religion for the most part. If after all these years of being taught what the color blue is, someone came up and started telling me that it was in fact not blue I'd be very adamant that it was blue. I can totally see why so many are so protective of their faith especially when it's been taught to them from such an early age.

The issue is that religion is much more subjective than the definites like color, object, and simple math. There's just so much more that goes into it than that. I think children are much less likely to be open minded about other religions or no religions when they are taught a specific religion to be the one. Now, I totally get why that is the case. It makes zero sense for a parent who is of a specific religion to teach anything but that religion to their child.

theonedru
09-19-2012, 01:22 PM
If after all these years of being taught what the color blue is, someone came up and started telling me that it was in fact not blue I'd be very adamant that it was blue.

Technically the item would not be blue, it is every other but blue being that all other color spectrums are absorbed into the object and the blue reflecting off. As such if you argued the item was blue you would be incorrect on a technicality. Even the simplest of things can be very complex.

Star_Cards
09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Technically the item would not be blue, it is every other but blue being that all other color spectrums are absorbed into the object and the blue reflecting off. As such if you argued the item was blue you would be incorrect on a technicality. Even the simplest of things can be very complex.

I'm aware how colors work. I figured people might focus on the actual thoughts rather than how colors actually work scientifically because I'd love to hear what other people think about my post. I used color since it's one of the first things that children learn similar to religion when living in a religious family. I guess I should have used "ducky" or "doggy" instead a to get some legit responses to the post, but maybe you'd have a comment about how kids will generalize all water fowl as duckies. who knows.

theonedru
09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm aware how colors work. I figured people might focus on the actual thoughts rather than how colors actually work scientifically because I'd love to hear what other people think about my post. I used color since it's one of the first things that children learn similar to religion when living in a religious family. I guess I should have used "ducky" or "doggy" instead a to get some legit responses to the post, but maybe you'd have a comment about how kids will generalize all water fowl as duckies. who knows.

Actually I could think of no better comparison as color vs religion. prob the most brilliant response to something I have seen here in a long time. if you look at our back and forth about color and think religion I think it shows it.

mrveggieman
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey I am not trying to convert or deconvert anyone for that matter but I am curious as to why the people who dont believe are no longer christians/believe in God and what would it take to get you to believe again. I am only asking out of curiousity.

JustAlex
09-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Hey I am not trying to convert or deconvert anyone for that matter but I am curious as to why the people who dont believe are no longer christians/believe in God and what would it take to get you to believe again. I am only asking out of curiousity.
For me it was a long process.

I didn't wake up one day and said, "I don't believe in god anymore".

I researched it a lot, I saw HOURS upon HOURS of debates between christians and atheists, I finally opened my mind to science and decided to fully investigate all the controversial scientific theories such as Evolution, the Big Bang, and abiogenesis.....I found them to be much better explanations then any and all religions.

When the dust had settled, I could no longer believe the bible, the christian religion, or God.

I consider myself an "Agnostic-Atheist" (which basically means I haven't ruled out the possibility of believing in god, but for the moment there isn't sufficient evidence to believe in one).

But as for religion, I'm through with it, I find it to be very detrimental to all societies, I think it's dangerous in the hands of politicians, and history has already shown us what the wrong people will do with it.

mrveggieman
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
We actually have a lot of similiarities. I also watched a lot of religious/political doccumentaries. Hell one of my favorite scholars is renowned atheist Richard Dawkins. I am also at times turned...

Wickabee
09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
I will never go back to a religion. That says nothing of my belief in God.

mrveggieman
09-19-2012, 03:28 PM
I will never go back to a religion. That says nothing of my belief in God.

I feel ya on that one. As fool as some people from the big three act you wonder why anyone would ever convert to religion. I know that God can only shake his head at times at some of these jokers who claim to represent him.

Star_Cards
09-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Actually I could think of no better comparison as color vs religion. prob the most brilliant response to something I have seen here in a long time. if you look at our back and forth about color and think religion I think it shows it.

hmm... I guess I can see that as far as simplicity of a complicated idea goes.

Star_Cards
09-19-2012, 03:39 PM

Oh yeah, forgot to comment on my personally. For me I was never religious. My grandparents on my dads side went to church so the only church I went to was when I stayed over at their house on the weekends... don't tell anyone but because of that my other grandparents were the preferred grandparents to stay over. I knew of the christian god and had friends that went to church in the neighborhood. I'm not sure why we never went to church as a kid. When I was in my teens was when I really started to think about things. I never really classified myself as an atheist until my mid twenties. I think part of that was due to a fear of people thinking I was weird or evil or something. The other part was I just was pretty indifferent to defining myself since I never really talked about it. I just think people who haven't been exposed to it as fact early in life tend to have a more open mind about it once they get to the age where they can start to form their own opinions.

theonedru
09-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Faith is a beautiful and wondrous thing that can inspire one to become beyond what they are, to try and do the impossible and help them throughout times good and bad.. The same cannot be said for religion, I think often times people mix them up and consider them the same thing which they are not.

i am a man of scientific means as such A lot of what I see in this world is based on such, but lets remember this "science" is the same thing that once claimed the earth was the center of the universe, the world was flat and nothing was smaller than an atom. What is science fact today may not be so tomorrow. As such I would not strictly deny the concept of a higher power just most peoples concepts of them.