PDA

View Full Version : May God/Allah bless you

mrveggieman
09-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Why do most christians get real hot an bothered when someone says may Allah bless you? Alot of christians are so homophobic about anything that reminds them of islam that they will pitch a fit. Do you people know that Allah is arabic for God and that they are arabic christians who believe in the same things that you believe in they just call God Allah since that is the language that they speak? If someone wishes me a blessing from God I will gladly accept it regardless of the language that they speak because we all need it. This message is not directed to anyone in particular just a random thought.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
You're quite right, but:

Why do most christians get real hot an bothered when someone says may Allah bless you? Alot of christians are so homophobic about anything that reminds them of islam that they will pitch a fit. Do you people know that Allah is arabic for God and that they are arabic christians who believe in the same things that you believe in they just call God Allah since that is the language that they speak? If someone wishes me a blessing from God I will gladly accept it regardless of the language that they speak because we all need it. This message is not directed to anyone in particular just a random thought.

some of your terminology needs work.

mrveggieman
09-21-2012, 10:02 AM
You're quite right, but:

some of your terminology needs work.

Islamophobic.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 10:06 AM
Islamophobic.

Well, if you just replace the word then the sentence becomes redun...you know what, it's fine.

shrewsbury
09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
homophobic? what does that have to do with islam? they are more homophobic then christians, they will imprison someone for being gay.

also jesus is my savior not muhammad.

but with all that being said, i enjoy it when anyone gives me a blessing with good intentions, whether muslim, buddhist, or whomever.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 10:30 AM
homophobic? what does that have to do with islam? they are more homophobic then christians, they will imprison someone for being gay.
Already covered. above, not sure why we had to revisit it right away...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Muhammad a prophet, not savior? I could be wrong.

but with all that being said, i enjoy it when anyone gives me a blessing with good intentions, whether muslim, buddhist, or whomever.

At least there's that. It's like with my mom. She doesn't celebrate Christmas, but doesn't get offended at "Merry Christmas".

mrveggieman
09-21-2012, 10:31 AM

It didn't have anything to do with being gay but you have to admit americans and christians have a phobia about anything that reminds them of islam. Also where did I mention muhammad? Christians regardless of if the are arabic, black, white, latino, etc do not recognize muhammad so I am not sure how his name came up. Also I don't know of any muslim who says muhammad is his savior. They believe in God(Allah) and that Muhammad is the final prophet but he is not the "savior" per se as how christians view Jesus. Not saying that either one of them are right or wrong just showing how two competing factions view God. Carry on.

mrveggieman
09-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Here is the definition for the word Allah from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allah

Funny thing was that this girl that I was cool with years ago mailed me a bunch of anti-islam propaganda about the so called daughters of Allah or whatever the hell it was talking about. So using that logic I can send out a bunch of probaganda talking about the daughters of God or something saying that Jesus had kids to refute christanity.

shrewsbury
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
i don't think it's about proving one religion over the other, but what they stand for and what the person who is responsible for "making" them stood for and did.

and how could islam be brought up without mentioning muhammad or christianity without mentioning jesus?

mrveggieman
09-21-2012, 01:54 PM
i don't think it's about proving one religion over the other, but what they stand for and what the person who is responsible for "making" them stood for and did.

and how could islam be brought up without mentioning muhammad or christianity without mentioning jesus?

This isn't about Jesus or Muhammad but the word people use for God.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 03:32 PM

What he's saying is "God bless you" is to "Allah bless you" as "Do you want some cheese?" is to "Do you want some fromage?" and wondering why some Christians get angry when someone says "Allah".

The connect could be made that it's racist on a level as it shows hatred over misunderstanding of a language and has nothing to do with actual religion, but I'm just speculating.

AUTaxMan
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
Why do most christians get real hot an bothered when someone says may Allah bless you?

Do you run into this fact scenario on a regular basis?

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Do you run into this fact scenario on a regular basis?

Are you saying Christians like it when told "Allah bless you"?

AUTaxMan
09-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Are you saying Christians like it when told "Allah bless you"?

I'm only suggesting that it seems like an odd hypothetical to ask, since its occurrence is probably very infrequent.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm only suggesting that it seems like an odd hypothetical to ask, since its occurrence is probably very infrequent.

It is working off an assumption. I don't think the frequency is the issue though, I think it's the mindset, whether it happens to you or not.

shrewsbury
09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
it seems like the only issue is some people would like to make it one.

and why if the rest of the sentence is in english can't the word god be in english?

so we could say, Allah shangdi tu, but why?

AUTaxMan
09-21-2012, 05:32 PM
The assumption, though, needs a reasonable basis for the question to have any relevance. He didn't ask, "Why do you think a Christian might react negatively to a greeting of 'May Allah bless you'"? He concludes that most Christians react negatively (which may or may not be true) and then asks why that is?

His question has no more relevance than if I asked, "Why do you think most people prefer strawberry ice cream over peach ice cream?" If I dropped my conclusion, though, and asked, "Why would a person prefer strawberry ice cream over peach ice cream," then we could have a reasoned discussion over the virtues of ice cream. With the former question, you are inviting conflict between the peach ice cream lovers and the strawberry ice cream lovers (and those who just don't like peach ice cream), by drawing a conclusion and automatically putting the peach lovers on the defensive.

habsheaven
09-21-2012, 05:46 PM
The assumption, though, needs a reasonable basis for the question to have any relevance. He didn't ask, "Why do you think a Christian might react negatively to a greeting of 'May Allah bless you'"? He concludes that most Christians react negatively (which may or may not be true) and then asks why that is?

His question has no more relevance than if I asked, "Why do you think most people prefer strawberry ice cream over peach ice cream?" If I dropped my conclusion, though, and asked, "Why would a person prefer strawberry ice cream over peach ice cream," then we could have a reasoned discussion over the virtues of ice cream. With the former question, you are inviting conflict between the peach ice cream lovers and the strawberry ice cream lovers (and those who just don't like peach ice cream), by drawing a conclusion and automatically putting the peach lovers on the defensive.

I agree with you for once. I would give you a "church" but I am not religious, so it would appear insincere.

Biggtyme
09-21-2012, 05:57 PM
The Mohammed and Jesus things are completely separate from God. God is God not either of them. The Muslims believe in Jesus, he was a prophet just like Mohammed was in the Quran. Jesus just was not the last prophet to Allah if I remember correctly. If we all took the time to read each religious book and not take what we want from them but took them as the whole that they are we would all be truly shocked at how parallel they run to each other in terms of what they say and teach. Its just that people from all over the world take what they want from the books run with it and then its like a game of telephone they pass it on to the children but not the way it was meant to be and it gets all garbled and messed up. It simply comes down to mostly uneducated people being afraid of what they don't know when someone say Allah instead of God and it offends someone that is my opinion. As it was stated they are the same thing just in different languages.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 07:36 PM

So your arguing pure semantics. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it says nothing of either question.

Also, if you're going to give Mitt the benefit of the doubt Re: what he said vs what he (maybe) meant, why can't you extend the same courtesy to my friend veggie here?

shrewsbury
09-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Jesus is God, you could refer to Him either way and it would be correct.

So if a Muslim says Allah bless you and you are a christian, it is no big deal but what about a Buddhist who says Buddha bless you to a Muslim?

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Jesus is God, you could refer to Him either way and it would be correct.

So if a Muslim says Allah bless you and you are a christian, it is no big deal but what about a Buddhist who says Buddha bless you to a Muslim?

Depends who you ask.

shrewsbury
09-21-2012, 11:35 PM
wickabee, some may give a different answer but it does not change the fact that He is. I posted that in reference to someone stating Jesus and God are not the same.

Wickabee
09-21-2012, 11:41 PM
wickabee, some may give a different answer but it does not change the fact that He is. I posted that in reference to someone stating Jesus and God are not the same.

They are not.

shrewsbury
09-22-2012, 12:07 AM
depends who you ask!!!!!!!!!!!!

but no matter what the answer is, it doesn't change the truth.

Wickabee
09-22-2012, 12:12 PM
depends who you ask!!!!!!!!!!!!

but no matter what the answer is, it doesn't change the truth.

Hahaha. Yes, true.

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 08:18 AM
The Mohammed and Jesus things are completely separate from God. God is God not either of them. The Muslims believe in Jesus, he was a prophet just like Mohammed was in the Quran. Jesus just was not the last prophet to Allah if I remember correctly. If we all took the time to read each religious book and not take what we want from them but took them as the whole that they are we would all be truly shocked at how parallel they run to each other in terms of what they say and teach. Its just that people from all over the world take what they want from the books run with it and then its like a game of telephone they pass it on to the children but not the way it was meant to be and it gets all garbled and messed up. It simply comes down to mostly uneducated people being afraid of what they don't know when someone say Allah instead of God and it offends someone that is my opinion. As it was stated they are the same thing just in different languages.

CHURCH!! :love0030::love0030::love0030:

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 08:32 AM
If we all took the time to read each religious book and not take what we want from them but took them as the whole that they are we would all be truly shocked at how parallel they run to each other in terms of what they say and teach.
I am guessing you have not read the Quran because the message of Jesus is far different than Muhammad. And Jesus is much different than Muhammad.

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 10:24 AM
I am guessing you have not read the Quran because the message of Jesus is far different than Muhammad. And Jesus is much different than Muhammad.

I have read both. The message although have their different sticking points both have the same message. How to love God and others, how to live a good life on earth and how to get into heaven. It is man who perverts these messages for his own sinister agenda.

ensbergcollector
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
just curious but what prompted this thread? i have never been offended as a christian if someone says allah bless you. did you see this somewhere? not saying it doesn't happen but just curious what had you thinking about this.

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 11:16 AM
just curious but what prompted this thread? i have never been offended as a christian if someone says allah bless you. did you see this somewhere? not saying it doesn't happen but just curious what had you thinking about this.

Personal experience. A lot of the christians that I know if you just mention the name Allah he is called everything from a false made up god (I'm not sure how that can be when Allah = God in arabic unless christians are calling their own god false and made up), a racist, baby killer, war mongerer, muderer, angry vengeful god etc. Or is it that it dosen't have anything to do with religion per se but with racism because the majority of muslims are just like their arabic christian counterparts are of middle eastern discent so in reality these so called christians are just showing how racist and bigoted they really are.

AUTaxMan
09-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Personal experience. A lot of the christians that I know if you just mention the name Allah he is called everything from a false made up god (I'm not sure how that can be when Allah = God in arabic unless christians are calling their own god false and made up), a racist, baby killer, war mongerer, muderer, angry vengeful god etc. Or is it that it dosen't have anything to do with religion per se but with racism because the majority of muslims are just like their arabic christian counterparts are of middle eastern discent so in reality these so called christians are just showing how racist and bigoted they really are.

We must live in completely different worlds, since none of the Christians I know would be offended by such a greeting.

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 11:37 AM
We must live in completely different worlds, since none of the Christians I know would be offended by such a greeting.

When was the last time that you or any christian that you speak to was told may Allah bless you?

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I believe that was part of the message from Hitler as well(except getting to heaven)

similarities is not what matters, is the differences.

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I believe that was part of the message from Hitler as well(except getting to heaven)

similarities is not what matters, is the differences.

So what exactly are you trying to suggest Shrew?

Wickabee
09-24-2012, 01:38 PM

I know a lot of people think Allah and Muhammad are one and the same.

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 02:25 PM
habs, i am suggesting it is not was is similar that counts. just like i can compare obama and romney, they have a lot of similarities, but you are voting for obama based on what is different.

wickabee, just like Jesus and God are the same

Wickabee
09-24-2012, 02:33 PM
It should read...

wickabee, just like some people believe Jesus and God are the same despite the biblical "facts" against it

But you're right. People incorrectly believe Allah and Muhammad are one and the same just like people incorrectly believe Jesus and God are one and the same.

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
When it comes to religion just like politics, football, nascar, etc people believe what they want to believe and make up things to go against what they do not believe in or like.

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 04:25 PM
so who made up Muhammad's female choices? wait, He did (even gave Him a capitol H to be nice)

mrveggieman
09-24-2012, 04:27 PM
so who made up Muhammad's female choices? wait, He did (even gave Him a capitol H to be nice)

Did you read about any of his wives i the koran or any of his writings or are you going by second hand information?

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
veggie, i don't go on second hand info when it deals with religion. I doubt you have read the quran, or you have and you think it is ok to suppress women.

here is just one fine example

Chapter 4

Allah instructs you concerning your children: for the male, what is equal to the share of two females. But if there are [only] daughters, two or more, for them is two thirds of one's estate. And if there is only one, for her is half. And for one's parents, to each one of them is a sixth of his estate if he left children.

I will go further and say anyone who has studied the quran and changed to Islam because of it, or thinks the things contained it in are ok, then you are ok with oppressing women and children.

Unlike the NT which mainly is made up of other peoples opinions about the teaching of Jesus, the Quran has one author, the man himself. you will never find anything written directly by Jesus.

habsheaven
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Jay, both books treat women disgustingly. Not sure why you are pointing out the misgivings of the Qur'an. And I know you are going to tell me that that all changed with the NT; well it shouldn't have been in the OT either. Afterall, that is the word of the Big Guy himself. I can't believe he needed a "do over" on equality.

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 09:49 PM
habs, no argument there.

i can only go by what I think to be correct, if it is not, then hopefully one day I will be experienced enough to know so.

Jesus never spoke of the oppression of woman or children, his apostles may have had their own personal thoughts on it, but Jesus did not. though i respect their ideas of the teachings of Jesus, I prefer to come to my own conclusions.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 08:29 AM
habs, no argument there.

i can only go by what I think to be correct, if it is not, then hopefully one day I will be experienced enough to know so.

Jesus never spoke of the oppression of woman or children, his apostles may have had their own personal thoughts on it, but Jesus did not. though i respect their ideas of the teachings of Jesus, I prefer to come to my own conclusions.

Jesus also never spoke against homosexuality but that is one of the big pillars of modern christanity. Again you can't have your cake and eat it too.

shrewsbury
09-25-2012, 12:43 PM
and when did i state i was against homosexuals? or better yet, when did i state that i was against homosexuals do to my religion?
and i don't mind not eating my cake, i will just give it to my friends.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 01:15 PM
and when did i state i was against homosexuals? or better yet, when did i state that i was against homosexuals do to my religion?
and i don't mind not eating my cake, i will just give it to my friends.

Most conservative christians are steadfastly against homosexuality let alone gay marriage. Jesus is the center of christanity but never uttered one word that we know of that spoke against homosexuality. So can't speak of what Jesus didn't say when it is convenient for you then turn around and remain silent about what he didn't speak of when it dosent suit your argument.

shrewsbury
09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
veggie, have you lost it? when have i ever said i was against anything do to my religion? you just make assumptions and keep on posting as if they are true.

and just for the record, i can say and not say whatever i want, and need no white, black, liberal, conservative, muslim, christian, atheist, gay, or yeti to tell me otherwise.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
veggie, have you lost it? when have i ever said i was against anything do to my religion? you just make assumptions and keep on posting as if they are true.

and just for the record, i can say and not say whatever i want, and need no white, black, liberal, conservative, muslim, christian, atheist, gay, or yeti to tell me otherwise.

Yes we can all say whatever we like (within SCF rules of course). Now correct me if I am wrong but you are not for gay marriage. Is that right. If so that not only is being in favor of not having equal rights but it is not something that Jesus spoke of. Again you have the right to believe whatever you like but I have to call it like I see it.

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Yes we can all say whatever we like (within SCF rules of course). Now correct me if I am wrong but you are not for gay marriage. Is that right. If so that not only is being in favor of not having equal rights but it is not something that Jesus spoke of. Again you have the right to believe whatever you like but I have to call it like I see it.

He's like me on the issue. Doesn't care but would likely vote in favour of it, if Iremember correctly.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 01:53 PM
He's like me on the issue. Doesn't care but would likely vote in favour of it, if Iremember correctly.

I am along you way of thinking. I don't believe in gay marriage for myself but I have absolutely no right to tell another consenting adult how to live his/her own life as long as he/she is not hurting anyone else.

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 02:09 PM
I've just never heard a convincing argument against.

shrewsbury
09-25-2012, 02:15 PM
veggie, you are barking up the wrong tree. the only stance i have against gay marriage, is taxes, work benefits, and polygamy.

but with that being said, i would vote in favor of it.

and even if i wasn't where did Jesus tell me how to vote or what is equality?

you seem to love to stereotype but you are also the first to complain when others do.

you put down christianity yet there are no countries(besides the vatican) that are ran by purely on christian policies.
but yet there are numerous muslim ran countries and have laws against gays and support the oppression of women and children.

I know people love to separate Jesus from God, but to a follower of Jesus there is only One that I need to let guide me, and he was not a murderer, slave owner, sexist, homophobic, racist, war mongering, baby killer.

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 02:53 PM
Jesus is separate from God. At least, if you go by the bible.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Jesus is separate from God. At least, if you go by the bible.

And who do you know that actually still goes by the bible? :sign0020:

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 03:35 PM
And who do you know that actually still goes by the bible? :sign0020:

His name is Doug. He's a really nice guy, but very self contradictory.