PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming a myth? Hardly.....Arctic Sea Ice hits record LOW!

JustAlex
09-24-2012, 07:54 PM
THIS IS NOT an article from political pundits....it is from NASA itself!!!

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012-seaicemin.html

"The frozen cap of the Arctic Ocean appears to have reached its annual summertime minimum extent and broken a new record low on Sept. 16, the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) has reported. Analysis of satellite data by NASA and the NASA-supported NSIDC at the University of Colorado in Boulder showed that the sea ice extent shrunk to 1.32 million square miles (3.41 million square kilometers).

The new record minimum measures almost 300,000 square miles less than the previous lowest extent in the satellite record, set in mid-September 2007, of 1.61 million square miles (4.17 million square kilometers). For comparison, the state of Texas measures around 268,600 square miles."

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/689573main1_MinSeaIce_20120916-670.jpg
Satellite data reveal how the new record low Arctic sea ice extent, from Sept. 16, 2012, compares to the average minimum extent over the past 30 years (in yellow). Sea ice extent maps are derived from data captured by the Scanning Multichannel Microwave Radiometer aboard NASA's Nimbus-7 satellite and the Special Sensor Microwave Imager on multiple satellites from the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program.

JustAlex
09-24-2012, 07:58 PM
So.....now unto my political/religious commentary.

The GOP are KINGS of Global Warming denial because it is in their interest to deny it.

They want big oil companies to continue their destruction of this planet's ozone and enviorment....and they pander to the religious crowd who absolutely deny that humans are capable of affecting this planet to such an extent, because GOD is in control of everything.

The results could be catastrophic.

Wickabee
09-24-2012, 08:06 PM
God hates polar bears.

NEXT!

JustAlex
09-24-2012, 08:09 PM
God hates polar bears.

NEXT!
Haha!

I just hope no one comes in here saying that this is a sign from the Mayans about the end of the world on 12 21, 2012!

Wickabee
09-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Mayans, no. Mennonites are a different story.

boba
09-24-2012, 09:22 PM
There are still people who believe in global warming? I thought they all went back to believing the coming ice age theory of the 70s where they wanted drop coal dust on the ice to make it melt faster.

JustAlex
09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
There are still people who believe in global warming? I thought they all went back to believing the coming ice age theory of the 70s where they wanted drop coal dust on the ice to make it melt faster.
Um....does the fact that we are living in one of the hottest periods in recorded time say nothing to you?

Does the fact that the ice in the Arctic is melting away in record levels not concern you? It should.

And let me say one more thing, even if this isn't caused by humans, that doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to it....this is our planet and until now we have not been able to find another planet which we can safely travel so the human race continues once this planet's resources eventually disappear.

Sure, that's most likely not going to happen in our lifetime, but it WILL one day.

As for now, we are seeing something that could have adverse consequences and people ignore it because of their political/religious agenda?

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 10:56 PM
how old is the earth?

and this chart is using data for 30 years.

so me a million or billion year graph and I will be right on board.

i do not disagree with temperature changes, but global warming that is a doom for all, is crazy, we have had around 5 ice ages, so of course we have warmed up atleast 6 times.

habsheaven
09-24-2012, 11:20 PM
how old is the earth?

and this chart is using data for 30 years.

so me a million or billion year graph and I will be right on board.

i do not disagree with temperature changes, but global warming that is a doom for all, is crazy, we have had around 5 ice ages, so of course we have warmed up atleast 6 times.

What about the hole in the ozone layer? We know what is causing that and it hasn't occurred before during the other 6 warm ups. The planet also didn't have 6-7 billion people on it back then.

I like to follow the old adage; "prepare for the worst, hope for the best" when it comes to global warming.

shrewsbury
09-24-2012, 11:26 PM
habs, agreed. but i won't be building a bunker quite yet, but i do love my 2 hyrids.

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 12:01 AM
It really doesn't matter what any of us does so long as China doesn't care about it.

AUTaxMan
09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Even if the earth is warming, nobody has ever been able to demonstrate there is anything mankind can do to reverse the warming.

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Even if the earth is warming, nobody has ever been able to demonstrate there is anything mankind can do to reverse the warming.

Actually, the real problem is that global warming and carbon emissions aren't the actual problem. Deforestation is.

JustAlex
09-25-2012, 04:22 AM
OK....that's a response I can live with.

Denying and claiming that nothing is happening is something I can't accept.

indexed
09-25-2012, 04:30 AM
didn't the earth heat up and also go into ice ages before humans drilled for oil?

AUTaxMan
09-25-2012, 08:57 AM
OK....that's a response I can live with.

Denying and claiming that nothing is happening is something I can't accept.

I don't even care if it is or isn't. I am confident that spending hundreds of billions of dollars as a country to try to do something about it without having a clue as to whether or not our efforts will actually have any effect at all is insane.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 09:05 AM
I don't even care if it is or isn't. I am confident that spending hundreds of billions of dollars as a country to try to do something about it without having a clue as to whether or not our efforts will actually have any effect at all is insane.

So what do you suggest mrtaxman? Just sit back and do nothing and dig futher into the hole? Or better yet spend more on the military? Im sorry but there is nothing that the military can do once this planet becomes too to to live in, the air is unbreathable and the water is undrinkable.

AUTaxMan
09-25-2012, 10:38 AM
So what do you suggest mrtaxman? Just sit back and do nothing and dig futher into the hole? Or better yet spend more on the military? Im sorry but there is nothing that the military can do once this planet becomes too to to live in, the air is unbreathable and the water is undrinkable.

I'm not sure what the military has to do with this discussion. I also don't know how the air is going to become unbreathable or the water undrinkable. There is also little to no evidence that man is responsible for global warming and even less evidence that if man is responsible for it, how responsible for it man is, and even less evidence about how man can slow or reverse the effects of global warming. I am all for protecting our environment and think that we need to do what we can to protect it within reason. However, I do not believe in throwing good money after bad at a problem (which we aren't entirely sure is a problem) based on junk science.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure what the military has to do with this discussion. I also don't know how the air is going to become unbreathable or the water undrinkable. There is also little to no evidence that man is responsible for global warming and even less evidence that if man is responsible for it, how responsible for it man is, and even less evidence about how man can slow or reverse the effects of global warming. I am all for protecting our environment and think that we need to do what we can to protect it within reason. However, I do not believe in throwing good money after bad at a problem (which we aren't entirely sure is a problem) based on junk science.

How is protecting the planet that we all share "junk science?"

AUTaxMan
09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
How is protecting the planet that we all share "junk science?"

You really lack reading comprehension skills.

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 11:47 AM
You really lack reading comprehension skills.

So I would make a great conservative republican then. :thumb:

boba
09-25-2012, 12:47 PM

I'll stop breathing if you do first. : )

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I'll stop breathing if you do first. : )

How about on the first sunday that falls during the middle of the week?

brooaar
09-26-2012, 05:26 PM
Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers, , all point to a radical change in climatic conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met with as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. -Washington Post, November 2, 1922.

And before:

A considerable change of climate inexplicable at present to us must have taken place in the Circumpolar Regions, by which the severity of the cold that has for centuries past enclosed the seas in the high northern latitudes in an impenetrable barrier of ice has been, during the last two years, greatly abated.2000 square leagues of ice with which the Greenland Seas between the latitudes of 74̊ and 80̊N have been hitherto covered, has in the last two years entirely disappeared. -Royal Society, London. Nov. 20, 1817. Minutes of Council, Vol. 8. pp.149-153.

Wickabee
09-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I remember watching something on NatGeo that said the Earth was beginning to actually change pole positions. It said what is now Africa would be the north pole and, obviously, the opposite side of Earth the south pole. Sometimes I wonder if "climate change" as we're calling it has something or everything to do with that.

At the same time, if the ideas about climate change are correct, we're going about it all wrong. Instead of expensively putting carbon emmissions caps or whatever they're doing, we should be focusing on the levels of deforestation that are going on worldwide. We are creating more carbon emissions than ever before and we keep cutting/burning trees down at record rates. Trees and other plant life exists to clean the air for us, and we're destroying it acre by acres.

habsheaven
09-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers, …, all point to a radical change in climatic conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met with as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes. Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. -Washington Post, November 2, 1922.

And before:

“A considerable change of climate inexplicable at present to us must have taken place in the Circumpolar Regions, by which the severity of the cold that has for centuries past enclosed the seas in the high northern latitudes in an impenetrable barrier of ice has been, during the last two years, greatly abated.”“2000 square leagues of ice with which the Greenland Seas between the latitudes of 74̊ and 80̊N have been hitherto covered, has in the last two years entirely disappeared.” -Royal Society, London. Nov. 20, 1817. Minutes of Council, Vol. 8. pp.149-153.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

habsheaven
09-26-2012, 09:38 PM
I remember watching something on NatGeo that said the Earth was beginning to actually change pole positions. It said what is now Africa would be the north pole and, obviously, the opposite side of Earth the south pole. Sometimes I wonder if "climate change" as we're calling it has something or everything to do with that.

At the same time, if the ideas about climate change are correct, we're going about it all wrong. Instead of expensively putting carbon emmissions caps or whatever they're doing, we should be focusing on the levels of deforestation that are going on worldwide. We are creating more carbon emissions than ever before and we keep cutting/burning trees down at record rates. Trees and other plant life exists to clean the air for us, and we're destroying it acre by acres.

I would give you a church for that but I am not that kind of guy. Oh, what the heck! Church :love0030: