PDA

View Full Version : The Republicans want the post office to fail

mrveggieman
09-25-2012, 02:31 PM
I got this from another website but it makes perfect sense. Those republicans are sick. (not in a good way) They will do anything to increase profits and destroy jobs.

Just so you all know what's going on (I have buddies in my local post office)....

in 2006 just before the republicans lost control of congress they passed a law forcing the Post Office to fund the Postal Workers Union Pension fund 5 years in advance... this put the PO into a 5 billion dollar deficit on paper, when in fact, the Post Office itself actually turns a profit now.

This was done (on purpose) so down the road (now) they could scream about Postal Losses (the PO had lost money on its own for years before this) and cut as much of it as possible. It's very cynical, but it was a republican way of "cutting government" one small step at a time.

I don't want to make this a political debate, but that was how it was explained to me by a postal worker, and a guy who calls himself a republican.

angel0430
09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
This is old. It has been know for a long time. Also, I beleive the Postal Service needs to give Congress some of their "profits". USPS has been trying to make changes to theirn service so that they can save some money but they get shut down by Congress all the time.

shrewsbury
09-25-2012, 02:40 PM
i brought this up a long time ago and nobody seemed to care.

did you also know why they did this? no not to get money, but the PO did not nor would have had the funds to provide all they promised to heir employees. another union job with benefits that exceed what anyone should get, that is not conservative, it is liberal.

*censored*
09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
I wish the post office would just bump the prices of postage up a nickel at a time, not this screwy 1-3 cents every year or two. Just go up to 50 cents. In a few years, make it 55. Then 60. Start international postage at $1, not 93 cents.

Wickabee
09-25-2012, 04:33 PM
You guys should cut Saturday service too.

*censored*
09-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Hell, I'd be fine just having Monday-Wednesday-Friday delivery.

duwal
09-25-2012, 05:35 PM
I wish the post office would just bump the prices of postage up a nickel at a time, not this screwy 1-3 cents every year or two. Just go up to 50 cents. In a few years, make it 55. Then 60. Start international postage at $1, not 93 cents.

I know, do you know how many of my stamped envelopes I've had for years for all of my autograph requests now have additional 1 and 2 cent stamps added on to them?

Star_Cards
09-25-2012, 05:43 PM

they aren't losing money because of the costs of shipping items or lack of direct mail. They use most of their money because they are paying out poorly negotiated pensions and healthcare for former employees and retirees.

Star_Cards
09-25-2012, 05:44 PM
You guys should cut Saturday service too.

they should do that as well. from what I heard congress has to ok that for some reason. they talked about that years ago. not sure why residential mail delivery on saturday is needed. heck, I could go with getting my mail 3-4 times a week.

INTIMADATOR2007
09-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Close the postal service and let private sector companies handle the mail .

mrveggieman
09-26-2012, 09:59 AM
I think the postal service should eliminate saturday delivery but remail open half day to drop off packages and for checking PO Boxes. They should also subcontract some of their work load to UPS/Fed Ex/DHL etc.

provb
09-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes that would be a great idea. The USPS is basically tied to the Federal Reserve and the Republicans wants an audit there as well. Have you every wondered why you get the same prison sentence if you rob either a bank of a Post Office? Cause you messing with the governments $$$$