PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Selling a Jersey (Jonathan Toews)

Crito
09-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Hi All,

Hoping to get a little help/advice on this. I love signed memorabilia (don't have much for economic reasons), but don't know a lot about it.

I recently came into a signed Toews jersey. It's great and I like it, but I'm a huge NY Giants fan, with virtually no Giants autographs (except for a Phil McConkey personalized ball). As for hockey I love the Wings and Islanders, so would rather this be in the hands of a Blackhawks fan anyway and I'd like to flip it into a signed Giants jersey (or other).

Here's the issue: it's not framed and I don't have a COA. If I said the nature of my job and how I got it, it'd be somewhat obvious that it's legit and I'd have no problems getting it verified.

Questions:

1. How important is a COA (seems like anyone writes them) for selling an autographed jersey? And what's the best way for me to get this if I need it?

2. Is it worth going through PSA to get it authenticated and graded?

3. What can I expect to get for this? Online prices seem to range from $300 to $600, but that's from memorabilia stores which I assume jack up the price.

Thanks for any help you can lend!

piazza31
09-30-2012, 12:40 AM
My opinion, if you can prove your job to the buyer when he's ready to purchase it- and it eases his mind...do it.

Other then that, if it has any use--- start scouring the internet for ways to see when it was used and then look for repairs in getty images or the like.

Post the jersey, any tagging, and any repairs you see. You can use my stanton bat thread in the same forum (about 4 below yours) to see what I'm talking about.

That should ease some minds as well and serve as a COA technically.

Crito
09-30-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks so much for the help. Not sure if it was used, but that's a good point.

What about pricing? Not sure how to judge that given that all prices I find online are memorabilia places or people aiming too high. Is there a good resource for that?

piazza31
09-30-2012, 01:09 AM
Not really.... its the old adage--- it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

Place it on ebay with a High Buy It Now, and a Best offer option. Set it to decline anything below what the jersey would cost Retail ($250?) and set it to approve $400 or $500.

That's your only real option. You can also attempt to trade it for a star player from the giants or wings 1 for 1- there are people who will do that.

What is on the tagging? Anythign like 06-52 on it?

Crito
09-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Just an "officially licensed" refractor tag on it and a "fandamonium" tag that was peeled off, like it was bought from somewhere. Nice placement of the sig, horizontal right in the middle of the "9" on the back. A little light, but might just be the type of pen/marker.

Yeah, I'd actually prefer to trade it for an Eli jersey, ideally.

piazza31
09-30-2012, 07:18 AM
I don't think it is Game Worn, but I might have misread the post to begin with.

As far as what you mentioned- it may be a fake jersey. Could you snap a photo. As far as trading it for an Eli Jersey- it's going to be very hard to do. He just won a SB and it's his second. Whoever has his stuff now is thinking it's gold. You may be able to trade for a Ball or Mini Helmet easily.

Good luck.

Crito
09-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Not it's definitely not game worn and it's DEFINITELY not a fake. Only reason I thought I could swap that is that I saw Toews jerseys online in the $300-500 range and Eli jerseys in the $200 and up range (depending on game worn, SB patch, etc.). I'm a novice (if THAT) with this stuff, so greatly appreciate the advice!

piazza31
09-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Just keep in mind, asking and getting are two things. Theres a 2K Piazza bat on ebay I want, but he thinks it's gold. It's gonna sit there forever. If you can sell and move into an Eli quickly, do it.

Crito
10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah good call. I'm actually a mod on a sports forum and there's some Blackhawks fans in there I might offer it up to. Corny, but I'd like it to go to a hardcore fan if at all possible.

egghead529
11-01-2012, 04:30 PM
That's awesome, as a die hard Hawks fan I wish I had the money to buy it!! Or a spare auto'd Eli jersey lying around haha ;) Let's see a pic!!

klavalla
11-22-2012, 08:29 PM
I have a rookie year UDA authentic ron dayne autogdaphed Giants home jersey. Full authentic jersey and also have an authentic ball autographed by him from UDA as well maybe we can work a trade. The jersey is a nike and both are in my bucket. Take a gander. Id love to get the jersey from ya

klavalla
11-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Also pictures are page 10 and 11 in my bucket