PDA

View Full Version : Peppered Sprayed Students get compensated......JUSTICE! American Style!

JustAlex
09-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Do you guys remember this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AdDLhPwpp4&feature=player_embedded

Well.....the University has settled with the 21 Students and alumni that were GROSSLY, UNJUSTIFIABLY peppered sprayed for practicing their American given rights to protest!

They settled for $1 Million......the Students will each receive about $30K after legal fees...

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/09/uc-davis-pepper-spray-settlement-reaction.html

Let this be a lesson to any disgusting authority figure that believes that he/she is above the law....YOU ARE NOT!

And sooner or later the victim will get his/her day in court.

JUSTICE HAS BEEN SERVED!

ensbergcollector
09-27-2012, 08:20 PM
only in america does "justice is served" mean "everybody got paid"

justice is the offending party being punished according to the law, not everyone getting paid

JustAlex
09-27-2012, 08:22 PM
only in america does "justice is served" mean "everybody got paid"

justice is the offending party being punished according to the law, not everyone getting paid

That's why I labeled it as "Justice, American Style!"

However, how much you wanna bet this NEVER happens in another College Campus in this country?

Why, because they know that they will LOSE in court and will have to pay.

This sets the precedent.

duwal
09-27-2012, 09:26 PM
the students had the right to protest but it was also the students who thought they were 'above the law' in not complying

JustAlex
09-27-2012, 09:39 PM
the students had the right to protest but it was also the students who thought they were 'above the law' in not complying
Non-violent civil disobedience does not merit what they received.

These guys were not causing major problems, they were not out of control, or anything of the sort. They were peacefully doing a "Sit-in", just like many Americans before them that chose the same civil disobedience that would lead to great progress in this country.

Pepper Spraying them in the face to such an excessive level was a horrible way to try to disperse them.

That's the problem in America right now.

Cops see something they don't like so they instantly draw out a taser or pepper spray, not even caring about the potential serious harm they can inflict. And sometimes it's done to the wrong people in the wrong situations.

The University and campus police were in the wrong here, and now it's going to cost them.

I for one, see this as a huge victory to the students and their rights.

Next time use some common sense and don't act like a bunch of fascists!

mugatu471
09-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Non-violent civil disobedience does not merit what they received.

These guys were not causing major problems, they were not out of control, or anything of the sort. They were peacefully doing a "Sit-in", just like many Americans before them that chose the same civil disobedience that would lead to great progress in this country.

Pepper Spraying them in the face to such an excessive level was a horrible way to try to disperse them.

That's the problem in America right now.

Cops see something they don't like so they instantly draw out a taser or pepper spray, not even caring about the potential serious harm they can inflict. And sometimes it's done to the wrong people in the wrong situations.

The University and campus police were in the wrong here, and now it's going to cost them.

I for one, see this as a huge victory to the students and their rights.

Next time use some common sense and don't act like a bunch of fascists!

Completely agree.

shrewsbury
09-27-2012, 10:30 PM
so what should they have done?
just curious, and please don't say "not spray the", I agree with that, but i want to know the correct action they should have taken and why it is correct.

mrveggieman
09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
I would have wanted more than $30k.

shrewsbury
09-28-2012, 11:27 AM
doesn't surprise me

and if you are going to protest, do you not know what the outcome may be, and I would bet all these kids knew that and were willing to pay the price, until it actually happened.

so should they have chained them to horses and dragged them off campus? or just allow them to break the rules with no consequences?

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 12:20 PM
doesn't surprise me

and if you are going to protest, do you not know what the outcome may be, and I would bet all these kids knew that and were willing to pay the price, until it actually happened.

so should they have chained them to horses and dragged them off campus? or just allow them to break the rules with no consequences?

So "Ohio" by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young is a happy song to you?

shrewsbury
09-28-2012, 02:40 PM
yeah, 4 dead in OHIO, but how many died from the pepper spray?

comparing apples to rocks, try again

and no one has yet told me what they should have done, why is that?

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 02:44 PM
yeah, 4 dead in OHIO, but how many died from the pepper spray?

comparing apples to rocks, try again
Hey, those kids in Ohio knew what the possible consequences of their actions were. I take that to mean, if they died, they deserved it. Or is your logic only valid so long as no one is killed?

and no one has yet told me what they should have done, why is that?

You say you agree they shouldn't have pepper sprayed, but you still want to argue with people you agree with? You make no sense today, man.

duwal
09-28-2012, 05:19 PM
You say you agree they shouldn't have pepper sprayed, but you still want to argue with people you agree with? You make no sense today, man.

he agrees that the act of pepper spraying should not have been used but is simply asking what other options did the police have? The pepper spray is non-lethal and was the option where there would be the least amount of physical contact and confrontation between the police and the protestors. No matter what people are going to complain about the police officers actions no matter what strategy they applied to removing the students

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 05:27 PM
he agrees that the act of pepper spraying should not have been used but is simply asking what other options did the police have? The pepper spray is non-lethal and was the option where there would be the least amount of physical contact and confrontation between the police and the protestors. No matter what people are going to complain about the police officers actions no matter what strategy they applied to removing the students

He said he agrees they shouldn't be peppersprayed, but can't come up with an alternative himself all the while criticizing everyone else who agrees with him for not coming up with ideas either.
He says he doesn't think they should be peppersprayed, then turns around and says they should have seen it coming and accepted the consequences.

That's TWO spots he's contradicting himself, and you're defending it.

He's also said comparing protesters who were shot to protesters who were peppersprayed is somehow "apples and oranges". I wonder how police showing up to a protest and shooting bullets is really all that different from them shooting pepperspray. Pepperspray isn't lethal...unless someone has respiratory problems, then it can be. Guns aren't lethal until the victim bleeds to death or if they are hit in a main area.

Where's the difference, Shrew?

I guess some people will never admit a policeman's mistake. If you have a uniform, you're infallible, etc, etc.

shrewsbury
09-28-2012, 05:58 PM
wickabee, again, you try and try to skew my words.

the fact is you and a few others on here always try to say people don't answer your questions, but here you can see there is no answer to mine.

how many college kids were shot and killed while protesting BEFORE kent state? 2 were killed 2 months later, but none i know of before,
so how would you know that being shot is an option?

but lets look at it this way, how many people have been pepper sprayed or beaten or arrested for protesting at a college?
too many to count

so the odds would state, i protest and do not follow police orders i will more than likely be arrested, can be peppered sprayed, might be beaten, and even have a slight chance of being shot.

and once again we see the non conservative not being able to answer a direct question. everybody complains they shouldn't have done this or that, but have no clue on what else they should have done. this displays that some peoples actions are controlled by emotions and not reasoning, and it is quite often the complainers who do this.

so lets really look at what was taught at one of our colleges

you can knowingly break the law and there should be no consequences, and if they are, take them to court.

what they should have been taught is that protests can be within the law and if you decide not to follow the law, you will have consequences. so if something is so important to you that consequences do not matter, then go for it, but do not cry about it when it happens.

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 06:32 PM
wickabee, again, you try and try to skew my words.

the fact is you and a few others on here always try to say people don't answer your questions, but here you can see there is no answer to mine.
I'm outright saying I don't know, but I do know what happened is wrong, as you've said you also know. So, I ask you, what should they have done?
I'll wait until you post to ironically criticize you for not answering a question I have no answer to.

Also, I'm curious as to why you feel the need to argue (for the sake of arguing, it looks) with people you claim to agree with.

how many college kids were shot and killed while protesting BEFORE kent state? 2 were killed 2 months later, but none i know of before,
so how would you know that being shot is an option?
Simple logic really. The police have guns. Eventually, they're going to shoot. Maybe not this minute, maybe not this protest, but any logical thinking person has to realize that's a possible outcome. Knowing this, I interpret your post as "they got what they deserve". That's also how I see your comment towards these protesters, though you agree they shouldn't have been pepper sprayed.

and once again we see the non conservative not being able to answer a direct question. everybody complains they shouldn't have done this or that, but have no clue on what else they should have done. this displays that some peoples actions are controlled by emotions and not reasoning, and it is quite often the complainers who do this.
I'll state again. YOU claim to agree they shouldn't have been peppersprayed, YOU ask what they should have done instead, YOU obviously have no idea what they should have done either but somehow you're above the rest of us for:
A - Not being a Liberal
and
B: Being the first to ask that question

Well La-De-Freaking-Da. You`re a champion who came up with a question you can`t answer (oh, but we`ll ignore that so you can feel superior) and no one else has yet. Congratulations, I think you just pulled the d*** argument of the week.

what they should have been taught is that protests can be within the law and if you decide not to follow the law, you will have consequences. so if something is so important to you that consequences do not matter, then go for it, but do not cry about it when it happens.

Tin soldiers and Nixon`s coming...

shrewsbury
09-28-2012, 06:55 PM
oh wickabee, what to say now?

you got me?

no, of course not

first lets say my question was a simple reminder that if you don't know what should have been done or what you would have done, then maybe you should not question what others did or do.

but as for an answer,

i would not want to injure them, and i would need to remove them.

so one at a time i would give them the option to obey, if they did not, i would tell them they are under arrest and ask them to comply, if they did not, i would use pain bearing methods to make them comply to being cuffed and then carry them off. and go down the line like this.

the issue with this is two things. one i would still be accused of abuse and two i would need the proper training to be able to do it and so would the other officers.

i have always said police are underpaid and under trained, most accusations result from improper training, whether mental or physical. also the disrespect for the police and the law seems accepted and often even joked about, this is certainly one of the things that have resulted in so many crimes and people in prison.

but to be fair i will also say that do to the lack of training, generally bad cops, and numbers of them, i can see why some think they are a joke or even worse.

and just to make your day,

you are so liberal that you bleed red

wait......

what color is Canadian blood?

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 07:59 PM
oh wickabee, what to say now?

you got me?

no, of course not
I'd never expect you to admit defeat. Be subject to, sure, but never admit it ;)

first lets say my question was a simple reminder that if you don't know what should have been done or what you would have done, then maybe you should not question what others did or do.
And let's say you agreed wholeheartedly that the spray was the wrong course of action.
And let's say you asked what they should have done instead.
And let's say you offered up no alternative yourself.
And let's say, for the sake of sticking to facts, that you began criticizing "liberals" (liberals you agreed with, remember) for not coming up with anything either.

So the only thing separating you from those dirty, disgusting liberals, is the fact you typed out the question before someone else did. How can you criticize them when you've done the exact same thing, but ended with a question you had no idea of an answer to. You're not only being a hypocrite, you're kind of being a jerk.

but as for an answer,
Oh thank the lord

so one at a time i would give them the option to obey, if they did not, i would tell them they are under arrest and ask them to comply, if they did not, i would use pain bearing methods to make them comply to being cuffed and then carry them off. and go down the line like this.

the issue with this is two things. one i would still be accused of abuse and two i would need the proper training to be able to do it and so would the other officers.
So you'd basically do what was done...but you don't agree with it...but it's the course you would take...but it's wrong...pick a side, man

i have always said police are underpaid and under trained, most accusations result from improper training, whether mental or physical. also the disrespect for the police and the law seems accepted and often even joked about, this is certainly one of the things that have resulted in so many crimes and people in prison.
I agree they're poorly trained. I'd say they were underpaid, but I need better results in the form of better training and actual consequences for misdeeds before I'll give them more money.
As for the second part, I will remind you there is an immense difference between disrespecting officers and civil disobedience. They are separate things. I think it's wrong to disrespect officers, but I don't trust them either.

but to be fair i will also say that do to the lack of training, generally bad cops, and numbers of them, i can see why some think they are a joke or even worse.
I don't think they're a joke. I think they're no better than the average citizen and my trust towards them reflects that. I've been told that means I hate cops and disrespect them. I don't, but I don't trust them as far as I can throw them, unless I know them. They're just people and they prove it everyday. They are here for them and theirs. If that makes anyone angry, get mad at the cops who perpetuate it, the management who allows it, not the people who react to it. That is just stupid.

and just to make your day,

you are so liberal that you bleed red

wait......

what color is Canadian blood?

Blue. Labatt Blue to be specific.

shrewsbury
09-28-2012, 08:32 PM
wickabee, , wait i need to stop laughing,

ok, no wait....

alright i am ready now.

here is one more fact you and others may enjoy.

after the kent state shootings all the blame was given to the students. after an FBI investigation, the FBI came to several conclusions,
there was no sniper
the soldiers were not surrounded
there was no need to shoot them
and
wait for it
here it comes

they should have used tear gas

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 08:55 PM
wickabee, , wait i need to stop laughing,

ok, no wait....

alright i am ready now.

here is one more fact you and others may enjoy.

after the kent state shootings all the blame was given to the students. after an FBI investigation, the FBI came to several conclusions,
there was no sniper
the soldiers were not surrounded
there was no need to shoot them
and
wait for it
here it comes

they should have used tear gas

That still doesn't explain why you've taken two opposing sides on an issue.

Rockman
09-28-2012, 09:48 PM
:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::k iss::kiss::kiss:

shrewsbury
09-28-2012, 10:21 PM
how have i taken two sides? i said i did not think they should have been sprayed like that, but there should be some sort of consequence for them breaking the law, and they should expect it.
then gave what should have been done

Wickabee
09-28-2012, 10:30 PM
how have i taken two sides? i said i did not think they should have been sprayed like that, but there should be some sort of consequence for them breaking the law, and they should expect it.
then gave what should have been done

Let's look back, and before you say anything, yes, I'm paraphrasing.

You said you completely agree the way they handled it was wrong.
Then you said, for all intents and purposes, that they should have expected it, and laughed that no one (yourself included) could come up with an alternative.
You then described what you would have preferred done, which is basically how the cops handled it in the first place.

So which is it, shrew, do you think it was wrong or is it what you would have done?

Two sides.

shrewsbury
09-29-2012, 11:14 AM
wickabee, wrong again, i aksed the people who were complaining to give an alternative, and no one could, so don't complain, a backstreet driver, is not a good driver.

i had an answer, but i asked for others to give one, as usual, most are talking out the side of their mouths and have no real input, besides it wrong.

Wickabee
09-29-2012, 01:24 PM
so what should they have done?
just curious, and please don't say "not spray the", I agree with that, but i want to know the correct action they should have taken and why it is correct.
So, they shouldn't have been sprayed. Great.

doesn't surprise me
So it shouldn't have happened, but they should have seen it coming...okay

but as for an answer,

Which is basically what happened. So let's recap your stance on this thread:
You think it was wrong to pepperspray the kids, but they should have seen it coming because if you were the cop you would have done the same thing.
But it's wrong.
But it's the correct course of action.
But it shouldn't have happened.
But it's the way things should be done.

you see where I'm having trouble?

If I may speculate, I'd say you don't actually think it was wrong. Everything you have said in this thread goes against that first claim. What I do like is the only actual alternative you (or anyone else, admittedly) came up with.

so should they have chained them to horses and dragged them off campus?
Now, I know you're not a liberal guy, but I never thought you wanted college students drawn and quartered.

shrewsbury
09-29-2012, 07:08 PM
wickabee, so now you are not reading my posts.

my answer was not to pepper spray at all.

and if you are warned you will be pepper sprayed by the police and you are, you should have not expected it?

where did i say quartered?
i said dragged off campus

Wickabee
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
wickabee, so now you are not reading my posts.

my answer was not to pepper spray at all.

and if you are warned you will be pepper sprayed by the police and you are, you should have not expected it?
You said escalate to pain only when you deem necessary. I assume that officer deemed it necessary in his mind. So you said it was wrong of him, but you would use pain if it got to that point. Pepperspray is pain. I don't see what you would have done differently after, yes, reading your posts.

where did i say quartered?
i said dragged off campus

You need to remember to bring a sense of humour with you.

mrveggieman
10-01-2012, 09:56 AM
:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::k iss::kiss::kiss:

Hey are you going to do the church count for September?