PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to the Bobblehead scene... any advice?

RedRamage
10-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Okay for a while know I've sorta been thinking about collecting some bobbleheads. I'm not going to be a serious investment collector, just picking up mostly some players from my favorite teams. But I guess I want to educate myself before I start putting too much money into this. I'm hoping people might be able to give me some basic info.

First, resale value isn't horrible important to me because it's a personal collection. That said, I'm looking for decent quality so it doesn't look stupid. And speaking of looks, I'm leaning towards getting from just one company in order to maintain a level of similarity in size, construction, materials, look-and-feel, etc. But I don't know if that's smart or not. Is there one or two companies out there that are sort of considered top notch guys? And if so, what is that company(ies)? Is it reasonable to expect said company(ies) to still be producing for a reasonable period of time? Really I guess I don't even know what I don't know or what questions I should ask.

Here's my best guess of what I need to know:

1.) What companies, if any, are considered good quality makers? (Again, bear in mind that I'm going to display these, not collect them for resale later... I want good quality, but probably don't need super dooper top notch stuff)

2.) Do these companies have a track record? Is it reasonable to assume they will still be making bobble heads for 5+ years?

3.) Is it smart to try and stay with one or two companies or is this just a dumb idea... ie, I'm limiting myself way too much.

4.) What else should I be aware of/looking at/need to know?

So far the only companies that I really know about are SGA and Forever Collectibles. SGA seems to be quite common and makes a lot of the promo bobbleheads given out at games (I think), but there doesn't seem to be a uniformity to size/look/etc. I really like the looks for the Forever Collectibles, but I don't know how long they've been around, if they have any kind of track record.

samsdad
10-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Okay for a while know I've sorta been thinking about collecting some bobbleheads. I'm not going to be a serious investment collector, just picking up mostly some players from my favorite teams. But I guess I want to educate myself before I start putting too much money into this. I'm hoping people might be able to give me some basic info.

First, resale value isn't horrible important to me because it's a personal collection. That said, I'm looking for decent quality so it doesn't look stupid. And speaking of looks, I'm leaning towards getting from just one company in order to maintain a level of similarity in size, construction, materials, look-and-feel, etc. But I don't know if that's smart or not. Is there one or two companies out there that are sort of considered top notch guys? And if so, what is that company(ies)? Is it reasonable to expect said company(ies) to still be producing for a reasonable period of time? Really I guess I don't even know what I don't know or what questions I should ask.

Here's my best guess of what I need to know:

1.) What companies, if any, are considered good quality makers? (Again, bear in mind that I'm going to display these, not collect them for resale later... I want good quality, but probably don't need super dooper top notch stuff)

2.) Do these companies have a track record? Is it reasonable to assume they will still be making bobble heads for 5+ years?

3.) Is it smart to try and stay with one or two companies or is this just a dumb idea... ie, I'm limiting myself way too much.

4.) What else should I be aware of/looking at/need to know?

So far the only companies that I really know about are SGA and Forever Collectibles. SGA seems to be quite common and makes a lot of the promo bobbleheads given out at games (I think), but there doesn't seem to be a uniformity to size/look/etc. I really like the looks for the Forever Collectibles, but I don't know how long they've been around, if they have any kind of track record.

Hi, i have bitten the bobble bug this year myself. I do not much about companies but SGA stands for Stadium Give AwayWhich is not a company, but how it was acquired and a way to recognize which bobble it is if there is more than one of a player. There is a Bobblehead company nmed AGP. Google them, they seem to have the give away market covered.

Forever Collectible seems to be a retail type and then Bobble Dobble seems to do a bit of both.

There are a couple of sites I found to be helpful, PM me and I will send them to you .
good luck!

ChosenOne719
12-14-2012, 01:29 AM
If you are going to go non stadium giveaway I'd say Forever Collectible is the way I'd go because I am pretty sure those are the type I see in the team stores when I go to baseball games....

For my own personal collection though well if I could only ever get one type of bobblehead the stadium giveaway bobbleheads would be the way I'd go at least as far as baseball goes which is what my main focus is right now