PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think Of the Fairfield Company?

Zach
07-31-2006, 03:19 AM
If you ever go to Target's collectibles section, you've probably seen those plastic containers that advertise something like "4 Hockey Cards With $100 Guaranteed Minimum Catalog Value" or "1 Memorabilia Card" on them. They pack cards from various sports and manufacturers in them, then sell the cards at a small price ($20 usually).

The first time I bought one of them, I was a bit skeptical. A) It was from a company I'd never heard of. B) It was at Target, not a hobby store. C) Why would they sell high-priced cards for such a small price in the first place? But when I got home, much to my amazement, I got a very valuable card. More specifically, a Patrick Roy Jersey/Auto card, BV $200. What a suprise that was, and boy did I get some good cards in return when I finally decided to trade it!

Since then, I've been buying two or three of those Fairfield boxes per Target visit and haven't been upset with my pulls yet.

Anyone else use them/hate them? Think it's fair to get just the good stuff instead of buying boxes and implementing the risk of getting crap cards? Do you view it as pulling a fast one on the industry?

-Zach

arble
07-31-2006, 03:29 AM
I wish my local store just had a decent selection to choose from .....sorry for the rant ....but when you live where I do and theres a not a hobby store for miles and Wal Mart is the only other option besides the net and all they got is about a 3 ft by 4 ft selection of cards ...no b-ball or football either ...you would have rants like this

Zach
07-31-2006, 07:09 AM
I wish my local store just had a decent selection to choose from .....sorry for the rant ....but when you live where I do and theres a not a hobby store for miles and Wal Mart is the only other option besides the net and all they got is about a 3 ft by 4 ft selection of cards ...no b-ball or football either ...you would have rants like this
I know that feeling. I had a great little sports card place I frequented back in NC. I moved out to California and can't find them anywhere. But because of the lack of card shops, I discovered dacardworld and those Fairfield things at Target.

arble
07-31-2006, 04:44 PM
yup dacardworld is a wonderful place ....but I hate shipping costs....I think to my self and think imagine what I could have bought with all that money i used on shipping ....makes me madder ...lol

autocut
07-31-2006, 05:20 PM
They do backdoor buying from card companies. That's why you may find unreleased cards and rarer autos. When the one Mike Mussina unreleased card surfaced, this was a direct quote from Fleer, "I have the box of Mussina cards right here in my office, so I know that not many - if any more - are out there" (Fleer Product Manager Tim Franz). So, how did they get in Fairfield packs? Also, a mass number of Fleer 92-93 autos surfaced from their packs which before was non-existant. This was like 2 years before Fleer's bankrupcy.

SingleDaddyof2
07-31-2006, 06:09 PM
If you ever go to Target's collectibles section, you've probably seen those plastic containers that advertise something like "4 Hockey Cards With $100 Guaranteed Minimum Catalog Value" or "1 Memorabilia Card" on them. They pack cards from various sports and manufacturers in them, then sell the cards at a small price ($20 usually).

The first time I bought one of them, I was a bit skeptical. A) It was from a company I'd never heard of. B) It was at Target, not a hobby store. C) Why would they sell high-priced cards for such a small price in the first place? But when I got home, much to my amazement, I got a very valuable card. More specifically, a Patrick Roy Jersey/Auto card, BV $200. What a suprise that was, and boy did I get some good cards in return when I finally decided to trade it!

Since then, I've been buying two or three of those Fairfield boxes per Target visit and haven't been upset with my pulls yet.

Anyone else use them/hate them? Think it's fair to get just the good stuff instead of buying boxes and implementing the risk of getting crap cards? Do you view it as pulling a fast one on the industry?

-Zach
Very nice post. I'm glad you brought Fairfield up. I just noticed these Fairfield products 4 days ago (7/28/06) at a Target store near where I work. I didn't buy any because I'd never heard anything about them. So far it sounds like they might have some decent pulls in them. Anyone else have any experiences with Fairfield?

Andy

Zach
08-01-2006, 02:03 AM
yup dacardworld is a wonderful place ....but I hate shipping costs....I think to my self and think imagine what I could have bought with all that money i used on shipping ....makes me madder ...lol
I thought the price of shipping was worth it when I bought a box of 03-04 Parkhurst hockey cards and pulled a Johnny Bower autograph. For whatever reason, the things I buy from dacardworld are blessed.

jedijohnson
08-01-2006, 02:58 AM
Wrt Fairfield, I must offer a word of caution. I've bought numerous (both their football RCs packs and GU/Auto). The GU/auto were always GU (never auto) of common players. With the RC packs, I bought many. And I kept getting the same player(s) in every pack (Peter Warrick Vanguard RC & Chad Hutchinson RCs). I mailed them a letter stating my dis-satisfaction along the UPC codes from the packs. They did (to their credit) send me a Shaun Alexander Vanguard RC and Peyton Manning CE 40-card set.
Of course when folk pull the rare something good...they will post it here. I dont blame them. But I guarantee that most packs are commons.
Honestly, I dont buy them anymore

StainLss
08-01-2006, 10:05 AM
ive been buying these packs for a few months on and off. but every few months they seem to come out with a new gimick for them. the ones ive seen were

2 gu or auto cards

1 card books between 25 and 50

now ( in my target anyway ) you get 1 card and 1 random pack. 1 out of 5 is an auto card.

all costing 10 dollars

i think these are great for people new to the hobby and who are trying to build up their collection. or people like myself with horrible luck and that can never pull gu or auto out of a few packs they bought. its just nice to know that there will be an instant reward, maybe now a great reward but a reward none the less.

will i keep buying these...yes and no.
i guees it depends on what kind of gimick they are running. i liked the
"1 card books between 25 and 50"
most of the time when you buy the 2 cards for 10$ you get cards from companies that have gone out of buisness i have never pulled and ud or donruss cards just pacafic and fleer.

in conclusion they are good for a rainy day or when the card shop is closed and when you dont want to wait for the card you won off ebay to come in. they do have some high dollar cards but those are very hard to pull.

just my 2 cents
john

mess0312
08-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Yeah, on recommendation due to this post I bought 4 of these: two hockey and 2 all sport. The all sport, I got the same card in both: 2 Ron Guidry $40Yankee Legend Auto/GU. In the hockey I got the same cards as well, 2 $60 Martin Brodeur inserts and 2 Felix Potvin, in the crease inserts. Not terrible since I am a Yankee fan just disappointed I got the same cards, otherwise not bad.