PDA

View Full Version : Question about Authenticity???

Qball76
05-07-2003, 08:47 PM
Okay I have absolutely no idea what companies authenticate autographed memorabilia, If I have any autographs it is because I have gotten them myself or pulled them from a pack....Earlier today someone contacted me about a piece of Husker memorabilia that he thought I might be interested in and he said that it was certified by scoreboard... Has anyone ever heard of this company, are they reputable, or am I in the dark and are they a well known company....Thanks in Advance!!!!

pwaldo
05-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Qball76
Okay I have absolutely no idea what companies authenticate autographed memorabilia, If I have any autographs it is because I have gotten them myself or pulled them from a pack....Earlier today someone contacted me about a piece of Husker memorabilia that he thought I might be interested in and he said that it was certified by scoreboard... Has anyone ever heard of this company, are they reputable, or am I in the dark and are they a well known company....Thanks in Advance!!!!

Scoreboard went out of business a couple years ago so I wouldn't trust them with a COA. A lot of them are fake.

So my advice would be to say no but that's just me.

IggyWH
05-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Hmmm, good thing waldo beat me to this post because I thought Scoreboard was legit... I remember they did a lot of the HSN stuff.

Qball76
05-07-2003, 10:01 PM
What does HSN mean Iggy???

stkmtimo
05-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Home Shopping Network is HSN. Scoreboard is 100% legit, and was actually backed by Fleer for some point and verified it's authenticity. Hope that helps.

Tim

Qball76
05-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Thanks Tim I had no idea what he was referring to, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do I have conflicting answers here I guess I will wait and see the digital pics he is going to send and go from there.....

gioperation
05-08-2003, 12:16 AM
qball you can always look them up in a search enginge or something

Qball76
05-08-2003, 08:19 AM
Ya the guy was supposed to send me some digital pics last night and never did, so I will wait and see if he does get back to me and then I will check out the scoreboard company, thanks for all the help guys!!!!!

pwaldo
05-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Here's a link: <br />
<br />
http://www.snortscards.com/other/sathrip.htm <br />
<br />
Scroll down the page and you'll come up with this quote: <br />
<br />
&quot;Then there is Shop At Home's regular &quot;special phone guest&quot;, Ken Goldin....

stkmtimo
05-08-2003, 10:36 AM
See, but that was redemptions. They couldn't honor redemptions, but the products inserted into packs were legit (I have a few) and Fleer even came out saying so. That never mentions they weren't legit, only that they couldn't honor their redemptions and had to file for bankruptcy. Just my thoughts.

Tim

pwaldo
05-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by stkmtimo
See, but that was redemptions. They couldn't honor redemptions, but the products inserted into packs were legit (I have a few) and Fleer even came out saying so. That never mentions they weren't legit, only that they couldn't honor their redemptions and had to file for bankruptcy. Just my thoughts.

Tim

Yeah but you can easily fake a COA by Socre Board which is out of business and nobody could prove if its real or not.

I didn't think he was talking about a card in the original post. It was something certified by Score Board. Which to me means nothing because a lot of people have been arrested for making false COA and autographs that were "certified" by Score Board.

Qball76
05-08-2003, 10:55 AM
Actually what I was referring to was a copy of the Lincoln Journal Star newspaper and it had the front page dedicated to Nebraska the day after they won the national championship in 1995 and supposedly this guy has several autographs from the team on it and it is framed.....I was sort of wondering how to rely on a certification company that is no longer in business, I will probably end up passing on this deal....Thanks for the help guys.....

stkmtimo
05-08-2003, 11:01 AM
pwaldo,
I understand that, too. I just think given the fact that Fleer backed them after they went bankrupt that I don't think a company with a long reputation like Fleer would back up anything not legitimate.

Tim

pwaldo
05-08-2003, 11:05 AM
Actually what I was referring to was a copy of the Lincoln Journal Star newspaper and it had the front page dedicated to Nebraska the day after they won the national championship in 1995 and supposedly this guy has several autographs from the team on it and it is framed.....I was sort of wondering how to rely on a certification company that is no longer in business, I will probably end up passing on this deal....Thanks for the help guys.....

Well if you really want it and can get it for a decent price then maybe buy it.

Some of the stuff can be faked but I doubt someone would take the time to fake autographs like that.

Most of the stuff I would be concerned about would be bats and balls because people can easily forge them and make huge profits.

If you do buy it just get it authenticated by another company that's still around. I don't know that much about authentication but I think Upper Deck has a really good one.

Qball76
05-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Pwaldo thanks for that link I had no idea that many people had been screwed on HSN, I will never buy anything from them!!!

stkmtimo
05-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Ken Goldin was a crook and Score Board was a scam, but their autos were legit. You can get some stars who were inserted into Score Board products for extremely cheap prices. Just another example of a company that wanted to grow too fast and wound up bankrupt like the rest of them.

Tim

pwaldo
05-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Pwaldo thanks for that link I had no idea that many people had been screwed on HSN, I will never buy anything from them!!!

Just to clear this up.

HSN is Home Shopping Network which isn't the one that was screwing customers.

That was Shop at Home.

IggyWH
05-08-2003, 06:10 PM
HSN has done its share of screwing people over too... I know I've taken it like a man a few times from them but I also got some decent things from them.

pwaldo
05-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by IggyWH
HSN has done its share of screwing people over too... I know I've taken it like a man a few times from them but I also got some decent things from them.

I really wouldn't know. I don't buy stuff from TV shows. But I know a lot of people who bought "PSA 10s" from Shop at Home and they were ABC 10s or whatever.

I was just pointing out that the article was referring to SAH and not HSN.

podstock
05-08-2003, 10:24 PM
I bought a few of the gold cards (Shaq, Jordan, Cal Ripken) from the Home shopping Channel a few years back.

All pure crap.

Haven't watched it since. Have bought anything since, either

stkmtimo
05-09-2003, 08:28 AM
I don't even get those shows anymore. I believe one of them went bankrupt. I remember Peter Lynch at Fidelity Investments touted them in his book: "Beating the Street". Anyway, I remember when they did it with Pete Rose. Selling 1987 Topps cards he autographed for $100. Give me a break!

Tim

pwaldo
05-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by stkmtimo
Ken Goldin was a crook and Score Board was a scam, but their autos were legit. You can get some stars who were inserted into Score Board products for extremely cheap prices. Just another example of a company that wanted to grow too fast and wound up bankrupt like the rest of them.

Tim

I agree 100%.

Their autographs from the packs are still legit.

That's why I always buy autograph cards that came from the packs rather than other autograph stuff because you can't be sure.

If you want a Ted Williams or Mickey Mantle autograph. Go after the ones that were inserted into packs. It may cost you $300-$400 but at least you will know that it is legit.

TheCardcenter
05-10-2003, 02:34 PM
From Bret at NAXCOM.com

stkmtimo, pwaldo and Iggy, You are all correct. Scoreboard is known for the bad business practices, however, all of there autographs that came from Scoreboard are 100% real. The problem however, is that they were just a COA (Certificate of Authenticity) that came with the item.

What has happened with Scoreboard items since they went bankrupt, is a few sellers made a fake autograph and then sold it with a real Scoreboard COA. They would then take the real autograph and sell it with their own made up COA.

The only autographs that you ever want to purchase are: PSA/DNA, UDA, Tri-Star, Global DNA, Steiner, Mounted Memories, MLB, etc. Below, I have attached NAXCOM's rules and policies for sellers of autographed memorabilia. Stay away from the ones listed below;

AUTOGRAPHED MEMORABILIA
NAXCOM will NOT permit any autographed items to be listed or sold without a valid CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICITY (COA) from a licensed company (ie: PSA/DNA, Global, Tri-Star, etc.). COA's from individuals will not be permited (ie: COA from John Q. Public). In addition, LETTERS OF AUTHENTICITY (LOA) or Notarized Letters will not be accepted.

NAXCOM does not acknowledge or permit COA's from the following:
Collectors of Distinction, Dimaggio Co., Dave Niedema (aka: Dave Madeima), Donald Frangipani, Foremost Grading Authority (FGA), General Pictures, Hollywood Dreams, North Shore Sports, Prize Possessions, Pro Sports Memorabilia, Robert Prouty, Royce Galleries, SCAA, Sports Management Group, Stan's Sports, Stardust Collectibles, Steve Ryan, Truly Unique, Universal Inc., Universal Memorabilia.

NAXCOM reserves the right to remove any autographed item at any time for any reason.

Hope this helps a little.

Thanks,
Bret Ginsburg
NAXCOM Customer Care

BGray
05-10-2003, 02:52 PM
Great info Bret! Thanks! :)

BGray

Qball76
05-13-2003, 08:37 AM
Well this thread has gotten a bit off the topic since I started it, but to let you guys know I did end up purchasing the autographed memorabilia for an outstandingly low price and since the autos are of a couple of college players from the past who aren't in the NFL I doubt someone took the time to forge their signatures....Thanks for all the help fella's!!!

podstock
05-13-2003, 01:01 PM
nice job, Qball.

The problem with autos is that, any time money is involved, there's bound to be fraud.

I would tend to think that it's easier to forge a signature of a common player, than of a star player, since most folks know what a Derek Jeter signatture looks like, for example.

stkmtimo
05-13-2003, 04:06 PM
Qball - Do you have a scan of the autographed paper? How much did you get it for? I'm always interested in researching college sports history (no interest in acquiring it). Nice purchase!

Tim

Qball76
05-19-2003, 03:15 PM
HAHA, you guys will get a kick out of this...I received my my autographed paper and guess whose name is on the Score Board Inc. COA...............The great Ken Goldin LOLLOL.............I would probably be pissed if this was some great auto, but since in is an auto of four players who if your not a Husker fan you wouldn't talk about and it only cost me $20 I can't complain...If someone went to the trouble to forge this they are idiots LOL......

stkmtimo
05-19-2003, 03:56 PM
LOL! Do you have a scan of it, or can you tell us who is on the paper?

Thanks,
Tim

Qball76
05-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Can't get a scan it's bigger than my entire scanner LOL...It is a copy of the 1995 Lincoln Journal Star the day after the Huskers won the national championship and Rob Zatechka, Zack Wiegert, Cory Schlesinger and Ed Stewart signed it...I'm gonna get it framed and put it on the wall since it's going to be a while before we win another one LOL........

Hot Sauce
06-06-2003, 10:55 PM
Doesn't Steiner sports authenticate stuff?