PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on MLB Rawlings Black Baseball Autographs

brizzo
08-05-2008, 11:28 PM
Guys, what are your thoughts on the black rawlings baseballs? They are quite hard to find right now, but I have been lucky enough to find a bunch and I have been working to get MLB HOF players to sign them in a very fine silver sharpie pen.

I am trying to find out how long it will hold up for, if its more of a collector thing or if these have value more than the normal MLB ball that everyone has signed.

br.ett
08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
The black baseballs are used to represent black baseball pitchers such as Fergie Jenkins... Thats what I was told by someone that was representing Fergie in Coopertown.

brizzo
08-06-2008, 08:27 PM
I hope you didn't believe him.. Thats the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.. Does that mean the white baseballs represent white players?!?!

xpress34
08-08-2008, 01:39 AM
The black baseballs are used to represent black baseball pitchers such as Fergie Jenkins... Thats what I was told by someone that was representing Fergie in Coopertown.

Br.ett -

I used to work for Rawlings and the Black baseballs are just another marketing tool for Rawlings.

They have actually been around for a few years (I have a Gold Stitched Black Ball signed in Gold by Steve Carlton and just missed getting a Greg Maddux a few years ago), but the local Rawlings rep here in Denver thought they were a new thing in 2005 until I showed him my Carlton that I obtained in 2003.

I don't know who came up with that about Black balls being for Black players, but that is pretty ludicrous.

The Black balls are fairly scarce to come across though and they definately look nice signed in Silver or Gold.

- Chris

br.ett
08-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Br.ett -

I used to work for Rawlings and the Black baseballs are just another marketing tool for Rawlings.

They have actually been around for a few years (I have a Gold Stitched Black Ball signed in Gold by Steve Carlton and just missed getting a Greg Maddux a few years ago), but the local Rawlings rep here in Denver thought they were a new thing in 2005 until I showed him my Carlton that I obtained in 2003.

I don't know who came up with that about Black balls being for Black players, but that is pretty ludicrous.

The Black balls are fairly scarce to come across though and they definately look nice signed in Silver or Gold.

- Chris
Oh...well i was at cooperstown and fergie jenkins was signing there and the person that was conducting it said that...my fault

xpress34
08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Oh...well i was at cooperstown and fergie jenkins was signing there and the person that was conducting it said that...my fault

Br.ett -

I don't doubt that someone said that - I wasn't questioning you.

I'm just saying I don't believe they knew what they were talking about.

When I got my Steve Carlton Ball, I had the Local rep and the Regional rep tell me that it was impossible that I had one at that time as they claimed they had not yet been released to the public.

When I brought the ball to the Rawlings booth at Coors Field to show them, they started doing a little research and found out that Rawlings had been slowly putting the balls out into the public through various private signings and such with athletes for a number of years - possibly as early as 2000 when MLB went to a 'unified' Official Major League (OML) ball as opposed to the Official National League (ONL) and Official American League (OAL) balls - but had never really publicly 'released' the balls for sale.

They are now available, but are fairly tough to find and usually bring a premium over regular white leather balls, but at no time did anyone with Rawlings ever imply that they were made for the Negro League or Black players.

Just curious if the person who told you this was a Rawlings rep by chance?

All the best -

Chris

br.ett
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
No not a Rawlings Rep. Someone that was hosting the Signing for Fergie Jenkins...I guess they just wanted to get more sales?:confused0024: