PDA

View Full Version : 1930 Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig Signed Baseball (1930 Yankees)

mikesilvia
11-15-2008, 05:17 AM
What a nice 1930 Babe Ruth/Lou Gehrig Signed Baseball (http://cgi.ebay.com/1930-Babe-Ruth-Lou-Gehrig-Signed-Baseball-1930-Yankees_W0QQitemZ230306073248QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230306073248&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A16%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1309). The only issue I have is I have never heard of JSA Authentication and with all the fakes out there I don't think I would touch this ball.

Thoughts?

iowa49erfan
11-15-2008, 10:28 AM
http://www.spenceloa.com/

They are one of the bigger authentication companies.

The auction also includes a number that you can cross reference on their website to make sure that the corresponding COA number matches what the actual item is.

There shouldn't be any worries with this company.

mikesilvia
11-15-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the great info and link!

Chuck-17
11-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Actually, JSA has had some issues with their items not being authentic. There was a video on YouTube where a reporter signed an item and then JSA authenticated it as real. I will look and try to find the video.

mikesilvia
11-16-2008, 03:01 AM
Honestly, there is no way to truly verify that an auto is real. The best thing to do is just go with the most respected authenticators and hope you have a real item. Seems that the in-person autos are the way to go if all you care about is having a TRUE auto from the athlete. Anything certified you are placing trust in a lot of people.

joshuadusarmy
11-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Every company has guessed wrong on a few things. What you are looking for is the company that has proven themselves as being right far more than wrong. JSA was started by James Spence who was at one time the Lead authenticator for PSA,who most consider to be the best at authentication. I myself believe GAI to be the most solid authenticator. The video that chuck was referring to was done at the Nationals this year and honestly was a set up. The person lied to the authenticator and said he had come directly from the athletes table (who was there signing) the athlete happened to also be a "no name" athlete that wouldnt get you 5-10 dollars on ebay anyway.As most people know there are on site authentications you can purchase at shows that are deemed "signed in the presense of a representative" COA's. The stipulation to that is you cant leave the autograph pavillion area or you would have to pay for the item to go through the full authentication process. You can see in the video they identified themselves as reporters and thus werent questioned when they presented the ball. Of course this is not to say that JSA has never been wrong but in this instance it was clearly a setup for a sad news station looking for a story.You can do research Mike on each companies authenticators as well.Hope this helps

joshuadusarmy
11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
however after looking at the sellers reputation I wouldnt touch it,youre likely to be ripped off

Chuck-17
11-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Either way it just goes to show that no matter who authenticates the auto you still have to be careful.