PDA

View Full Version : Spring Training Invites???

propete23
12-03-2008, 12:40 AM
This is a general question for anyone who may know when the finalized rosters for spring training will be out.

I think this may be essential to anyone who is going to take a trip to Florida or Arizona for games. I know I would like to have all my photos, cards, and other memorbelia in order before I go.

Too many times it feels like I am scrambling for a photo or paying too much for a card to get signed by a coach/player that I didnt know would be there.

Thanks to all

indyreds
12-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Spring is always tough with the non roster invites. Baseball America does a great job with their preview issue letting you know some of the players. Former players are even tougher to guess on. What teams are you going to go see? Arizona for instance has been known to have guys like Yount, Matt Williams, Mark Grace and Will Clark around camp. I could not even imagine going to see the Tigers and not be prepared to catch Al Kaline! You never know who you will see as a friend once was able to get Tom Seaver at a AAA baseball game in the stands. That was awesome, but he had him sign the book he kept cards in? WHAT! Yeah he was unprepared that day. You should always have an extra baseball, index cards or generic customs when going to an event. Baseballs are the most costly, but Tom Terrific Seaver would have looked great on a ball! A signed index card can look attractive framed with an 8x10! You can create your own customs easily also. Do something basic like a sports hero header above the sweetspot of a baseball photo. Being prepared is important, but keep those blanks also. It will pay off for you.

propete23
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
I lived in Arizona but as as an east coaster at heart, I missed the teams I grew up with (Philly) we recently moved back home to PA and plan on getting down to Florida this march.

I can only imagine what the phillies facility is going to be like. My buddy and I went up to eagles camp the year T.O. showed up in town... and I think they were expecting between 10-15 thousand people!!! They were turning people away hours before practice even started.

ANyway, if you are in Phoenix area, try the Brewers. They were the best guys for signing. I got Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, Weeks, hall, cameron, and pretty much everyone else there. Young stars are still awesome and they were all pretty humble guys.

The Giants, Cubs, and Rangers were about the toughest to get. I mean cmon the Rangers? They havent been good since 83! really stuck up group of dudes who snubbed pretty much everyone.

Anyway, good luck to all and have fun, I know I am.

Today I got one I was really looking for TTm, John Shaffer (PSU QB from 86 Natl champs)

Inscribed and everything

navig8tr150
12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Keep checking the teams you are interested in. Non-roster invitees can be tough to do. I start checking in Jan. on a weekly basis to see what has changed or who has been added. And you never know who will make those surprise appearances either. Good luck, you only have 2 2/1 months before teams start reporting.

propete23
12-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Im not talking about former players showing up, but that would be pretty cool too! Im talking about a possible list of who is getting invited to camp (mostly minors) and who may be coaching. I know that Ryan Howard and chase Utley will be there but could Kyle Drabek, Lou Marson, and Jason Donald be there? Im just using some names to make my point.

It seems to me that the rosters arent updated at this time of year. There are also lots of trades going on during the winter meetings. I did see someone mentioned baseball america? Is that a magazine or something?

Thanks

indyreds
12-06-2008, 12:50 AM
Baseball America has a web site and also does a magazine on baseball. They have the best scouting that you can get outside of an actual organization, if you ask me. They not only rate the top so many prospects overall, but also do the top prospects for each team. They are one of the very most respected baseball resources and possibly the best for the minors period. You should check out their website.

baseballamerica.com and I believe that they still have a link on main page for a free trial issue of the magazine.

minorleague baseball.com is great during the baseball to find players via their search button, so look them up also.

MLB.com has team sortable transaction tabs and you can use this to look for free agent signings and trades as well

indyreds
12-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I did see a success that you might be interested in:
Kyle Drabek
c/o 15 Ivy Pond Place
The Woodlands, TX 77381

propete23
12-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Good looking out. Last season I mailed to rookie ball (and he moved up)
mailed to Clearwater (and it was too late in season)

I have been trying to get this guy all summer and he keeps moving around. Same with Cutter Dykstra (last I knew he was in helena, mt with the brewers hi rookie ball)

ANyway, thanks for the info guys, I gotta check out those websites and also try Drabek too. I believe that is his dad's addy as well so maybe get a 2 for 1 deal like I did with Tommy Herr and his son Aaron.

Pete