PDA

View Full Version : Global Authentication Bankruptcy

Chuck-17
01-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I heard about this from many different sources but I have not been able to find anything concrete. If anyone has more info on this please send me a pm.

If Global Authentication has filed for chapter 11 what do you guys think this will do to the value of the items they have authenticated?

xpress34
01-09-2009, 02:35 AM
I heard about this from many different sources but I have not been able to find anything concrete. If anyone has more info on this please send me a pm.

If Global Authentication has filed for chapter 11 what do you guys think this will do to the value of the items they have authenticated?

Chuck -

Personally - if it is true - I don't think it will do much to hurt values in the long run... I mean look how much stuff with 'Score Board' COA still sells pretty well on eBay and there's been questions about those COAs for years...

Just my .02

- Chris

CRJSr9
01-20-2009, 07:44 PM
i heard they did,i dont like gai or any other authentication company its all a business.so im glad there gone.

booyahlaw
01-20-2009, 07:56 PM
if it were me and I had stuff authenticated by GAI, I would cross it over with PSA immediately (especially if you are expecting to sell within the next few years). Unfortunately, though I never heard anymore about them being dishonest and cutting corners than I did about any of the other companies, their bankruptcy calls into question with purchasers the legitmacy of items they authenticated. People will question whether they were inclined to let more pieces slip through the cracks in order to boost revenues.

Also, as a more practical matter, you are automatically at a disadvantage in any negotiation (or sale) you enter with the merchandise, because any sophisticated buyer is going to use the GAI slab/certificate against you to demand a lesser price. To maximize your dollar returns, you should just cross items over to PSA (which if you are looking to maximize return, you probably should have done in the first place).

booyahlaw
01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Chuck -

Personally - if it is true - I don't think it will do much to hurt values in the long run... I mean look how much stuff with 'Score Board' COA still sells pretty well on eBay and there's been questions about those COAs for years...

Just my .02

- Chris

I would also respectfully disagree with this poster. I could be wrong, but I would think time could only be an enemy to these items. As new generations come to the market, after many years we that remember GAI as a functional company are going to become the minority in collecting. The next generation of collectors will see a GAI slab and, as memories of the company's day of operations and reputation during their time of operation fades, probably equate GAI to a company along the lines of PRO or GEM.

Unfortunately, no one will remember that GAI was started by one of the most respected graders in the industry, they will just see GAI as a company that, for one reason or another, failed. I would think long term, reputation (or lack thereof) will hurt the value.

Personally, I have never heard of Scoreboard, but that doesn't mean much. If they have been defunct for years and still command the amounts of money that a comparable item from Spence or PSA does, then maybe GAI will gain credibility over time.

Chuck-17
01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I would also respectfully disagree with this poster. I could be wrong, but I would think time could only be an enemy to these items. As new generations come to the market, after many years we that remember GAI as a functional company are going to become the minority in collecting. The next generation of collectors will see a GAI slab and, as memories of the company's day of operations and reputation during their time of operation fades, probably equate GAI to a company along the lines of PRO or GEM.

Unfortunately, no one will remember that GAI was started by one of the most respected graders in the industry, they will just see GAI as a company that, for one reason or another, failed. I would think long term, reputation (or lack thereof) will hurt the value.

Personally, I have never heard of Scoreboard, but that doesn't mean much. If they have been defunct for years and still command the amounts of money that a comparable item from Spence or PSA does, then maybe GAI will gain credibility over time.

I tend to agree with you. If they disappear from the authentication industry then I don't think that their authenticated products will hold the same value.

jamesrud7380
02-07-2009, 06:25 AM
http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/stage/article/?p_ArticleId=5512

mishu2nite
02-23-2009, 02:45 PM
I just had this Authenticated. I knew it was real, but decided to have the paper work to go with it. It was done within the last month and a half. I had it done through Kevin Martin of Piece of the past. He is the largest dealer of Celb autographs, and wrote numerous guides and books on the subject. I got a cert from him, and he also had the global people coming in so he had it certified through them also. PSA may know sports, but they do not have the knowledge that global has in the entertainment industry. For Sports go PSA, for entertainment it's global. She is the hardest autograph of a living celebrity or famous figure. Almost impossible, as she stoped signning altogether except rare instances. 99.9 percent of the autographs out there are fake or autopens. Very rare to have her sign a record. In 35 years of dealing in autographs, Kevin Martin said this is the forth record he has seen period. This is the highlight of my autograph collection.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg252/mishu2nite/framedMadonna.jpg