PDA

View Full Version : Possible STEAL of a lifetime...

xpress34
01-18-2009, 04:48 AM
I don't want to give too many details just yet... I'm just 'baiting the hook' here...

BUT - if my research tonight proves fruitful, I might be picking up a TEAM Signed Ball from my FAVORITE HOFer's ROOKIE YEAR for next to nothing in the next couple of days....

Stay tuned for more input... hope the 'baited hook' worked....

- Chris

xpress34
01-18-2009, 10:13 PM
Now that the auction is over, I can 'reveal the steal'...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330300197823

I just won this ball... and for those of you who are looking at the pictures and asking 'Why is this a steal?', I will tell you...

While looking at the pictures (which are poor for the most part) I picked up an early Nolan Ryan AU and Cleon Jones AU... the ONLY time they played together was for the 1969 NY Mets - that's right, the 'Amazin Mets!'....

Other AU I have made out from the team list (and the poor pics):

Ron Swoboda
Ken Boswell
Bud Harrelson, etc...

I can't wait to get this piece in hand so I can start tracking Autos!!!!

All the best -

Chris

cometmike
01-18-2009, 10:15 PM
Damn Chris if you can get that authenticated you are the MAN

gladdyontherise
01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
AWESOME Win!

xpress34
01-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Mike -

This is a good example of perseverance and concentration on the pics made available without trying to give anything away to the seller!!!

Even if I don't send it for authentication, for $15 and some change w/ shipping, I'm not complaining... I already made payment so I hope they will ship tomorrow or Tuesday!

- Chris

xpress34
01-18-2009, 10:23 PM
In my original post I said Rookie Year ball of my fav player - I was referring to Nolan Ryan - because I thought it was a 1968 ball but further research revealed it to be a '69...

I'm not complaining either way!!! Actually '69 will give it more value because of the WS Championship - especially if I can uncover McGraw and Hodges on it!!!

- Chris

cometmike
01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Mike -

This is a good example of perseverance and concentration on the pics made available without trying to give anything away to the seller!!!

Even if I don't send it for authentication, for $15 and some change w/ shipping, I'm not complaining... I already made payment so I hope they will ship tomorrow or Tuesday!

- Chris

Yeah it really is Chris, but I would have never been able to figure out those autos.

Hopefully this summer I can find some like you. not much going on here now with all the snow, lol.

cometmike
01-18-2009, 10:31 PM
I did pick up a nice Bob Doerr auto at a card show with COA.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/cometmike/IMG5.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/cometmike/IMG6.jpg

and a Gorman Thomas auto baseball

xpress34
01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah it really is Chris, but I would have never been able to figure out those autos.

Hopefully this summer I can find some like you. not much going on here now with all the snow, lol.

Nice Doerr pickup... I'll ad a list shortly of the cut auto lots I picked up on eBay this past week as well that just came in... some I couldn't make out in the on-line photos but in person they were much easier...

Anyway, I thought you were moving to Colorado anyway??? Where are you at that it's snowing??? We had a freak storm here last Monday....

- Chris

cometmike
01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Nice Doerr pickup... I'll ad a list shortly of the cut auto lots I picked up on eBay this past week as well that just came in... some I couldn't make out in the on-line photos but in person they were much easier...

Anyway, I thought you were moving to Colorado anyway??? Where are you at that it's snowing??? We had a freak storm here last Monday....

- Chris

Yeah I still might after I finish school.

Im in Wisconsin.

Tons of snow and -50 degree weather.

Yeah I would love to see your latest pickups

Jeter+Arod Fan
01-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Good eye and good steal.

xpress34
01-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Jeter -

Thanks... these are the kind of auctions I live for... luckily I have been collecting Nolan long enough (and a friend use to have a 1965 Alvin HS yearbook with like 6 sigs of Nolan from his Senior Year in it) that I know how his early sig looked and when I saw it and Cleon Jones, I just started matching up others from the 69 line up...

Obviously many of the pics are blurry, so it will still be a treasure hunt to see who else is on it... the other BIG 3 I am looking for on it:

Gil Hodges
Tom Seaver
Tug McGraw

- Chris

C.Fortson
01-19-2009, 06:08 PM
sweet steal man :winking0071: