PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure this has already been discussed - auto pens

windmortal
04-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Just wondering what kind of pens are best used for autographing baseballs, magazines and sportscards.

I have a big event in vegas coming up in July with several mixed martial arts autograph opportunities. I just want to make sure I have the right gear. I want to have baseballs, magazine page photos and Topps UFC Round 1 sportscards signed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

mstng99tim
04-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Use a regular ball point blue ink pen for the baseballs. On photos and magazines, I use either a silver sharpie or a blue or black sharpie, depending on what the photos/magazine looks like. If it's a picture with dark backgrounds use the silver sharpie, if it has lighter backgrounds, use a blue or black sharpie. I like blue better, it makes the auto stand out more. Hope that helped.

iowa49erfan
04-14-2009, 04:56 PM
Since I unfortunately never have the opportunity to get items signed in person, I do always enjoy purchasing some that have been signed with the paint pens, they look nice in contrast to some photos.

mstng99tim
04-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Since I unfortunately never have the opportunity to get items signed in person, I do always enjoy purchasing some that have been signed with the paint pens, they look nice in contrast to some photos.

WAIT WAIT WAIT, you have all those autos and you never got anything signed in person?!?!?!? I'm completely opposite of you, I RARELY buy something that is already signed, I like getting autos in person because you get to meet the player and sometimes talk to them for a moment.

iowa49erfan
04-16-2009, 07:47 AM
WAIT WAIT WAIT, you have all those autos and you never got anything signed in person?!?!?!? I'm completely opposite of you, I RARELY buy something that is already signed, I like getting autos in person because you get to meet the player and sometimes talk to them for a moment.

Not much going on here in Iowa, doesnt make it very easy.

LOL

quinn16
04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
black sharpie looks nice on baseball. just make sure you buy real leather balls.
Penets Silver Sharpie looks nice
Most 8 by 10's blue or black

xpress34
04-16-2009, 02:27 PM
black sharpie looks nice on baseball. just make sure you buy real leather balls.

Quinn - just a suggestion to you and others who use Sharpie on Balls.

Over time, it WILL absorb into the leather, and even years later, Sharpie Autos can still smear if not handled properly.

I use to work for Rawlings and gave demonstrations on how balls are made and such.

My PERSONAL suggestion to anyone looking to gets balls AUTO'd:

#1 - ONLY use Real leather balls - I know Official MLB Balls are expensive, but Vinyl Balls really hold little value regardless of who signs it.

#2 - The ONLY pen I use to have balls signed (I've been doing this for over 20 years and I just discovered these pens about 5 years ago) is the BLUE BIC VELOCITY 1.0. It's a Medium Point so the sig is thicker - don't use fine point - and bold. They also have a rubber grip area, so if you are getting someone who just got done warming up or what ever, you don't have to worry about sweat causing the pen to slip while they sign.

Just my own .02

- Chris

quinn16
04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
thanks i will start using blue ball point

mstng99tim
04-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Not much going on here in Iowa, doesnt make it very easy.

LOL

Oh ok, that makes sense then, LOL!!!

Penets Silver Sharpie looks nice
Most 8 by 10's blue or black

Yes, black sharpies do look nice, for the first few years, then over time, the outside edges of the auto will turn yellow.

xpress34
04-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Not much going on here in Iowa, doesnt make it very easy. LOL

"Is this Heaven?"

"No, it's Iowa."

Whaddaya mean not much going on there... :smokin:

neverfinished94
04-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Deco paint pens are awesome! way better than a silver sharpie. i just started using them and its a big difference.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-53411652433252_2046_15439367

here is a silver sharpie on one of my footballs

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k279/neverfinished94/001-7.jpg

here is the deco

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k279/neverfinished94/007-3.jpg

much bolder than the sharpie. i think i paid around $4 for it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby

xpress34
04-18-2009, 01:14 PM
NeverFinished - <br />
<br />
Just a few words of warning about 'Deco' or 'Paint' pens for the uninitiated... <br />
<br />
1) ALWAYS make sure the pen is 'charged' and ready for the player - in other words, always carry...