PDA

View Full Version : 1957 Milwaukee Braves signed ball - authentic?

EtherealSOC
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Hello all, <br />
<br />
Can you help me judge if this ball - for sale locally - is authentic? I know it is hard to judge vintage autographs using pictures, but any insight helps. My thoughts are they appear...

iowa49erfan
04-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Really hard to tell with the flash on the case.

I'd try the PSA quick look to see what they come back with.

What is the seller listing as a COA for it?

EtherealSOC
04-16-2009, 09:51 AM
They don't have a COA. Claims to have owned it for over 25 years and it was given as a gift...

iowa49erfan
04-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, it's hard when it comes to that. You know you want to trust someone but at the same time it's hard to do.

I'd definitely take advantage of the PSA/DNA if you're serious about purchasing.

Chuck-17
04-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Yeah, it's hard when it comes to that. You know you want to trust someone but at the same time it's hard to do.

I'd definitely take advantage of the PSA/DNA if you're serious about purchasing.

I agree 100%. If you are willing to buy that ball it is probably worth spending a few dollars to get an expert opinion.

TheRoseBull
04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
I agree. 10$ to get a quick opinion.. best way to go.

xpress34
04-26-2009, 12:19 AM
Etheral -

I hate to be the 'Nay Sayer' here, but based on the photos, I'm about 95&#37; positive that you are looking at a pre-print Stadium Souvenir Ball.

It is very much Vintage as teams don't usually re-do previous teams and such and I don't know of anyone who has ever tried to forge pre-prints - although some can command a pretty penny. Especially when they are nice and clean like this one.

TWO tale tell signs from what I can see:

1) NO Brand Label - Spalding or Reach should be a Spalding for National League in 1957. Also, NO 'Official National League Ball' Stamp or League President (should be William Harridge for that era).

2) Notice how a few of the signatures go into the stitching but the ink isn't on the threads? That's because the panels are PRE Stamped before they are stitched together. In Picture #3 for example, the 'J' in Joe goes directly through a stich hole, but there is no 'bump' or interruption in the line as you would expect when the pen hit the thread.

Again, sorry to be the 'downer' here, but I don't like seeing people spending their hard earned money on bad items.

- Chris

P.S. - If you go back and look for the things I just mentioned, then I also saved you the $10 you would spend on a Quick Opinion!!!

nebboy
04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Love to have seen balls maker mark to see it is a from correct time frame, also all sigs seem to be from same pin. Thanks for the look keep us posted

Fisk-Factor75
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I agree with Xpress....I was thinking the same thing before I read his post.

al032184
05-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Another way you can tell a pre-print, everyone has written their name to be completely legible