PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh xxxi spring classic national sports card & memorabilia show

rainman67ko
05-18-2009, 02:57 AM
I went to a show today at Robert Morris University outside of Pittsburgh. I was not planning to attend but at the last minute I saw the opportunity to get out of the house, so I grabbed some stuff, and made my way out to see what was there. I picked up a few things for my PC (see scans). Over all the show looked like it had a good turn out. All the dealers where in a good mood.

I got in line for Duffy Dyer signing for $10 plus the ROMLB for $12. (see scan) Duffy Dyer was my favorite player when I was a little kid. My dad is a huge Met's fan. We named our Irish Setter Duffy. The first game I went to in 1976 was the Met's vs. Pirates ant Shea Stadium and Duffy Dyer was now catching for the Pirates. He wasnt the every day catcher and not an all star but it was great to meet him and talk with him a little bit.

Showing up for the last few hours of a show can be really great. The dealers have either made out really well, or not, but either way they are eager to deal and pretty open to negotiating. I was able to trade if I wanted and also sold a nice 200+ card lot of VG-EX 1960 Topps baseball that included High numbers and listed cards to a dealer that had a need for them in his inventory. In years past I used to always go to shows on the first night and it seemed as if the dealers where a little uptight because they had lots of inventory, not much cash, and where anxious as to what sort of turnout the show would recieve. First night is great if your buying wax or looking for something super rare.

I saw some great memorabilia that you dont see every local show like these big 24"x36" box matted Sports Illustrated covers of the Steelers, thousands of auto baseballs and photos, tons of cool oddball items, programs, warehouse wax dealers, and regional/national dealers with some real quality stuff. I met some local people and made some contacts for buying, selling, and trading. Well worth the trip. The show is billed as a National show but I would say it was pretty much a regional.

After only 2 hours I was back in time to catch the second period on TV and get back to work on the "Honey Do" list. Looking forward to the National but that will be a game time decision too.

Thanks - Kevin

I posted a similar thread in the Hockey forum because I was able to pick up a couple of things for my hockey PC -http://www.sportscardforum.com/showthread.php?p=5661605#post5661605

stewart20rulz
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Nice autographed ball Kevin. Thanks for sharing it and the link to the other items you picked up. Sounded like the card show was a lot fun...I'm still waiting on a decent one to be held in my area.

JKC
05-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Very nice and congrats!

Thanks for sharing!

Darin

TheRoseBull
05-18-2009, 04:14 PM
very nice

mstng99tim
05-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Sounds like you had a good time. It's a pretty decent show, but like you said, I wouldn't consider that a National show either. I was thinking about going, but there wasn't any autograph guests that really interested me. I went last year and got Maz to this 16x20 for me.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e206/mstng99tim/Personal%20Collection/mazoverall.jpg

Chuck-17
05-21-2009, 12:05 PM
I really like the autographed ball. Thanks for sharing this story with us.

rainman67ko
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
mstng99tim (http://www.sportscardforum.com/member.php?u=30110)[/U]]Sounds like you had a good time. It's a pretty decent show, but like you said, I wouldn't consider that a National show either. I was thinking about going, but there wasn't any autograph guests that really interested me. I went last year and got Maz to this 16x20 for me.

That's really nice. That's from the 60 WS right?

Very cool. How many Pittsburghers are on this site I wonder?

JustinBerl
05-22-2009, 06:13 PM
The Dyer ball is really nice, I need him on a bunch of Mets pieces. Sucks that the show was a couple weeks back, I'm coming to Pittsburgh next week to visit my brother and take in at least 2 of the 4 games in the Mets vs. Pirates series

rainman67ko
05-22-2009, 06:39 PM
The Dyer ball is really nice, I need him on a bunch of Mets pieces. Sucks that the show was a couple weeks back, I'm coming to Pittsburgh next week to visit my brother and take in at least 2 of the 4 games in the Mets vs. Pirates series

I'll be at a few of those games too. My dad is coming in to see the Met's.

As far as Dyer goes, he now works for the Padres organization traveling around to their minor league teams. He also mentioned a '69 Amazin' reunion coming up. I think the guy is pretty accessible. He is originally from Ohio i think. Where are you coming in from?

JustinBerl
05-22-2009, 06:57 PM
I'll be at a few of those games too. My dad is coming in to see the Met's.

As far as Dyer goes, he now works for the Padres organization traveling around to their minor league teams. He also mentioned a '69 Amazin' reunion coming up. I think the guy is pretty accessible. He is originally from Ohio i think. Where are you coming in from?

I'm coming in from Queens, NY. I live about 20 mins from Citi Field. My brother lives up in Moon and his wife's family is from McKees Rocks.

I'm def going on Tuesday night, got seats 2 rows behind the Mets Dugout on Stubhub. I'm trying to get tickets for Wednesday and Thursday also if possible around the same area.

In August they are honoring the 1969 team at a game (I think against the Phillies). I think they will unveil the 1969 Banner at that game which is missing from this picture I took at Citi Field this afternoon

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs056.snc1/4503_505177520956_291500031_144725_1263196_n.jpg

bettis36bettis
05-22-2009, 07:27 PM
i was at the show for the first time, it was pretty good. tons of vintage cards

rainman67ko
05-22-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm def going on Tuesday night, got seats 2 rows behind the Mets Dugout on Stubhub. I'm trying to get tickets for Wednesday and Thursday also if possible around the same area.

Thursday is an afternoon game @12:30. Tickets for baseline box seats are still available on Pirates website. Others on stub hub for this game. If you've never been to PNC Park you'll really enjoy it. Wear your team colors, you won't be hassled. It's not Boston or the Bronx!!! It's a great place to see a game and has an awesome view of downtown. Make sure you get a Primanti Bros. sandwich somewhere in Pittsburgh when you come. Enjoy!

-Kevin

JustinBerl
05-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Thursday is an afternoon game @12:30. Tickets for baseline box seats are still available on Pirates website. Others on stub hub for this game. If you've never been to PNC Park you'll really enjoy it. Wear your team colors, you won't be hassled. It's not Boston or the Bronx!!! It's a great place to see a game and has an awesome view of downtown. Make sure you get a Primanti Bros. sandwich somewhere in Pittsburgh when you come. Enjoy!

-Kevin

I've been to PNC Park once, the 1st year it opened. I tried on the Bucs site to tickets for Thursday but the baseline box seats they have are on the other side of the field by the Pirates dugout, I'm a snob and want to sit by the Mets haha. I plan on wearing a different jersey to each game, prob Johan on Tuesday since he's lined up to pitch that night and then either D-Wright or K-Rod if I get to the other games. I have no problem wearing my teams jersey at another venue, I was at a Pens-Rangers game towards the end of the season at the Igloo and I had my Marc Staal Rangers jersey on

Primanti's is awesome, I had my first one in the early 90's when I spent the summer with my brother and I'm hooked. I have to get it at least 2-3 times each trip down.

Do you do IP Autographing at PNC? I'm thinking of going down on Monday afternoon to see if I can get anything, since I have plans with the family that night and can't make the game

rainman67ko
05-24-2009, 12:02 AM
PM sent - K