PDA

View Full Version : My New Goal - The 500 Home Run Club

Vegas
05-27-2009, 06:52 PM
So I have been collecting autographed memorabilia for about 5 years now, mostly focusing on my favorite teams (Dodgers, Lakers, 49'ers, etc), favorite players (Steve Young, Joe Montana, etc), and all time greats (Jordan, Magic, etc). But I thought it would be fun to focus on a certain milestone, so I decided to get signed baseballs from each member of the 500 home run club.

Now I know that I'll probably fall short of getting all 25 members, as Babe Ruth, Mel Ott, and Jimmie Foxx are all dead and command huge prices (especially Ruth). But the other 22 members' autographs are not too bad (Mantle & Williams are pricey, but not crazy). I have been doing this for 6 months now and have 11 of the 25 members so far. It has been a lot of fun watching the auctions on EBay and cruising the web for deals with a certain goal in mind.

I have attached some of my latest items, including a cool Thome that's inscribed with the date of his 500th.

GBforce12
05-28-2009, 12:52 AM
sick autos, good luck on your 500 club!

Chuck-17
05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
That is a great goal!!! I was thinking about doing that as well. You will have to keep us up to date with your progress. Some very nice ones so far.

iowa49erfan
05-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Good luck! Should be an awesome set if you ever get (or when) it completed.

indyreds
06-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Very nice collection. You did know that Banks and Thome will sign for free TTM?

Vegas
06-02-2009, 07:28 PM
UPDATE

My latest addition to the 500 Home Run Club collection is Gary Sheffield. Not a lot of Sheff autos out there, guess there is just not a big demand for him. (It seems his personality has rubbed people the wrong way at times.) This ball is an offical MLB ball, but it's one I've never seen before--it's an official MLB Expos ball from when they played in Puerto Rico. The stamped lettering on the ball reads: "OFFICIAL SERIE DE LOS EXPOS DE MONTREAL" and it has an Expos logo on it. The listing just said official MLB ball, so I was more than happy to get the Puerto Rico Expos ball as they are probably collectors items in their own right.

Vegas
06-23-2009, 03:10 PM
UPDATE

So my quest to collect autographed baseballs from the members of the 500 home run club continues. I just got a sweet Barry Bonds ball with the inscription "10/7/01 73 HR". It pains me to purchase a Bonds ball as I absolutely HATE the SF Giants as I am a lifelong Dodgers fan. But I put those feelings aside for the good of my quest. Here's where I now stand:

HAVE - Bonds, Aaron, Mays, Sosa, Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Schmidt, Thome, McCovey, Thomas, Banks, Murray, Sheffield

NEED - Ruth, Griffey Jr., McGwire, Palmeiro, ARod, Mantle, Foxx, Manny, Williams, Mathews, Ott

If anyone has a ball that I still need, feel free to PM me.

RockiesFan33
06-23-2009, 03:16 PM
This is a great idea for a collection. Good luck with the rest!

Jeter+Arod Fan
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Very nice autos except your Frank Robinson has 596 hr inscribed on it but he only hit 586 which is still a lot but not as much. You might wanna look into it.

Jeter+Arod Fan
06-23-2009, 08:35 PM
I gave it a second look it looks like an 8. Sorry if it is it just looked like a 9 from the rotated view.

Vegas
06-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I gave it a second look it looks like an 8. Sorry if it is it just looked like a 9 from the rotated view.

LOL, your post made me pull out the ball and take a second look at it! I can now assure you that the inscription says 586 Hrs, but the 8 does look a little like a 9.

I have tried to get inscribed balls for the most part, so I was very happy to find the Frank Robinson ball with his home run total.

sports collector
06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
If you are interested in another Frank Robinson auto ball (coa from JSA) I've got one.

shoot me a pm if you are

rockstar71888
07-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm a Babe shy of having all of them. Selling most of my collection now though.

Jeter+Arod Fan
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
LOL, your post made me pull out the ball and take a second look at it! I can now assure you that the inscription says 586 Hrs, but the 8 does look a little like a 9.

I have tried to get inscribed balls for the most part, so I was very happy to find the Frank Robinson ball with his home run total.

Ya I have a sweet 8x10 of him signed and certified by Steiner. He is one of the greatest baseball players to ever play. Sorry once again! :sign0020:

Vegas
07-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm a Babe shy of having all of them. Selling most of my collection now though.

Wow, I am jealous, especially of the Foxx and Ott balls. Sorry to hear that you are selling your collection because it sounds incredible!

rockstar71888
07-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Wow, I am jealous, especially of the Foxx and Ott balls. Sorry to hear that you are selling your collection because it sounds incredible!

I just went through my collection, and turns out my dad sold Foxx to one of his contractors and we never had Ott. I was a little bit off. But I do still have the rest of them.

xSquatx
07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Good luck with your goal.
Its going to feel amazing when you complete it.

Jeremy_Falcons
07-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Nice autos. Gl with the rest.