PDA

View Full Version : Woud like your opinions on an item I bought

Justin
07-07-2009, 02:08 AM
Well I am a big fan of Matt Forte and decided I wanted to buy an autographed mini helmet of him. This is the item I won http://cgi.ebay.com/Matt-Forte-Signed-Autod-Bears-Mini-Helmet-PSA-DNA-COA_W0QQitemZ250329192374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item3a48c857b6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C 293%3A1%7C294%3A50 . I bit the bullet and bought it because it said certified by psa/dna. I am kinda new to the memorabilia thing and I was wanting to know if you guys think I bought a legit auto. Your opinions would be appreciated.-Justin

coltsfan6418
07-07-2009, 02:35 AM
With that feedback and the COA, id say 100% legit. Im not an expert on his autos, or anyone auto for the matter, but id say legit. If it wasnt, there wouldnt be a COA, well most likey not. Plus hes got a 100% feedback with a lot of sales.

imo, legit.

xnamyeknomx
07-07-2009, 02:37 AM
yep if they have a pic of him signing and its psa/dna u have nothing to worry about it looks good to me.

HIJACK12
07-07-2009, 04:12 AM
Looks good to me too.

Justin
07-07-2009, 06:43 AM
Thanks fir the input guys. So if something is psa/dna certified then it is legit?

xnamyeknomx
07-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks fir the input guys. So if something is psa/dna certified then it is legit?

yes they are 1 of the most respected names in the authentication industry, so is GAI, and JSA. So if it is PSA/DNA u r good to go brother!! Nice pickup!!

Aaron21222
07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Sorry to disagree here, but just because it has a letter from PSA/DNA does not mean it is 100% authentic, and a photo of a person signing a helmet doesn't mean it was the one you are buying. Many people on eBay use a single photo of a player signing for multiple auctions.

Also, there have been recent issues with some of the so-called "experts" that work for PSA/DNA and claiming authenticity on fakes, and calling authentic items fake.

Check out this site, as it has lots of info on the so-called experts.

http://www.autographalert.com/news.html

Justin
07-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Sorry to disagree here, but just because it has a letter from PSA/DNA does not mean it is 100% authentic, and a photo of a person signing a helmet doesn't mean it was the one you are buying. Many people on eBay use a single photo of a player signing for multiple auctions.

Also, there have been recent issues with some of the so-called "experts" that work for PSA/DNA and claiming authenticity on fakes, and calling authentic items fake.

Check out this site, as it has lots of info on the so-called experts.

http://www.autographalert.com/news.html

Thanks for the heads up. So in your opinion you don't think the item I purchased is real?

Aaron21222
07-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I think you are good with the item you purchased. I just think people trust a piece of paper far too much when it comes to COAs. The authentication business is just that - a business, and you have to do your homework these days.

Vegas
07-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I think you made a good purchase, the seller has 100% positive feedback and PSA/DNA is widely accepted as the #1 authenticator in the industry. Is PSA/DNA perfect? No, of course not, but they are the leading sports autograph authenticator and their COA's give an item legitimacy.

Collecting sports memorabilia is a great hobby and I personally find it a lot more rewarding than collecting cards. When purchasing an autographed piece of memorabilia, make sure it comes with a COA from one of the major companies (Upper Deck, Mounted Memories, Steiner, Tri-Star, Schwartz, GTSM) or has been authenticated by either PSA/DNA or JSA (James Spence). I would stay away from stuff authenticated by GAI as they have had a lot of bad press lately and are going through bankruptcy. There are other smaller memorabilia companies that I personally trust (Radtke, Gridiron Authentics, Ironclad), but they aren't as widely known as the others I've mentioned. Unfortunately, there is a lot of fraud in this hobby, so I don't purchase anything that hasn't been authenticated by one of these companies.

natsfan
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
i would say that that auto is 100 percent real

Justin
07-07-2009, 03:16 PM
I think you made a good purchase, the seller has 100% positive feedback and PSA/DNA is widely accepted as the #1 authenticator in the industry. Is PSA/DNA perfect? No, of course not, but they are the leading sports autograph authenticator and their COA's give an item legitimacy.

Collecting sports memorabilia is a great hobby and I personally find it a lot more rewarding than collecting cards. When purchasing an autographed piece of memorabilia, make sure it comes with a COA from one of the major companies (Upper Deck, Mounted Memories, Steiner, Tri-Star, Schwartz, GTSM) or has been authenticated by either PSA/DNA or JSA (James Spence). I would stay away from stuff authenticated by GAI as they have had a lot of bad press lately and are going through bankruptcy. There are other smaller memorabilia companies that I personally trust (Radtke, Gridiron Authentics, Ironclad), but they aren't as widely known as the others I've mentioned. Unfortunately, there is a lot of fraud in this hobby, so I don't purchase anything that hasn't been authenticated by one of these companies.

Thanks for the advise.

Jeter+Arod Fan
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Hey looks good. If you want to know an easy way to know if it's authentic then compare it to an autographed card.

Jeremy_Falcons
07-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Looks great.

Chuck-17
07-16-2009, 02:33 PM
That looks great. The only way to be 100% sure an autograph is real is to witness the signing. That being said if it has a PSA/DNA COA I would not hesitate to but the item. They are one of the best. The nice thing about PSA/DNA is that items with their COA tend to carry a premium.

xSquatx
07-16-2009, 02:40 PM
PSADNA is like the best autograph authenticator.
I saw 100% authentic.
Congrats on the win.