PDA

View Full Version : Joe Montana Autograph Photo : Real or Fake

nbatoppspoker
07-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Hi

One of my friends reccently recieved a joe montana autograph photo from his work, only problem is it didnt come with Certificate of Authencity. he was going to send it to Psa or bgs to be Autheticated, but he needed a seconfd opinion before sending it on, let me kmow if its real or fake?

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w352/nbatoppspoker/0a66.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w352/nbatoppspoker/0a65.jpg

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w352/nbatoppspoker/0a67.jpg

CaliforniaSoxfan
07-31-2009, 09:40 AM
The "Joe" part looks pretty spot on but the "Montana" part looks a little suspect. I've looked at quite a few Montana certified autos and the loop he makes on Montana looks different here than on the certified ones I've seen. Now it's true that players signatures don't always look exactly the same every time so it could possibly be legit. If your friend really wants to know, sending it to get authenticated is the best way to know for sure.

Jeremy_Falcons
07-31-2009, 12:02 PM
I would send it in as well.

nbatoppspoker
07-31-2009, 04:12 PM
any idea what year the photo is taken is it rc , 2nd yearetc... and also my friend is asking who is the person next to joe?

bearfield
08-01-2009, 11:56 PM
its real, there is no reason to fake an auto on that photo.

sherry
08-02-2009, 06:02 PM
The "Joe" part looks pretty spot on but the "Montana" part looks a little suspect. I've looked at quite a few Montana certified autos and the loop he makes on Montana looks different here than on the certified ones I've seen. Now it's true that players signatures don't always look exactly the same every time so it could possibly be legit. If your friend really wants to know, sending it to get authenticated is the best way to know for sure.

yeah man you are right....the JOE part is good but Montana part is somewhat like Pasted from somewhere else....:lie:

duwal
08-02-2009, 08:00 PM
its real, there is no reason to fake an auto on that photo.

there absolutely is a reason, if someone does that then they are turning a $5 photo into a $60-80 autographed photo to some unsuspecting collector

wheeler281
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
man you should see some of Bradsahws 1st autos when he came out. They evolve over the years to make it easier for them. That auto looks fine to me.

Alfordron
08-02-2009, 09:02 PM
I have a Montana card that was signed by him back in the early 90's. The person I got it from is a friend of mine that caught him hanging around at training camp so I know it's real. I sent it to GAI for authentication and slabbing and it came back to me as "Inconsistant". They said that they could not make a determination one way or the other by their data base of autos. So even the authenticators have trouble sometimes determining these things. I don't think anyone can really say wheather or not this is real or fake and looks like one that would fall under the Ol "Inconsistant" label.

nbatoppspoker
08-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I have a Montana card that was signed by him back in the early 90's. The person I got it from is a friend of mine that caught him hanging around at training camp so I know it's real. I sent it to GAI for authentication and slabbing and it came back to me as "Inconsistant". They said that they could not make a determination one way or the other by their data base of autos. So even the authenticators have trouble sometimes determining these things. I don't think anyone can really say wheather or not this is real or fake and looks like one that would fall under the Ol "Inconsistant" label.

when you got your joe montans suto back as a inconsistent, did you have to pay?

Alfordron
08-03-2009, 12:31 AM
when you got your joe montans suto back as a inconsistent, did you have to pay?
If I remember right, they did cut me some slack on the fees. I don't remember exact numbers, but I do remember not having to pay the full fee.

nbatoppspoker
08-03-2009, 03:27 AM
If I remember right, they did cut me some slack on the fees. I don't remember exact numbers, but I do remember not having to pay the full fee.

my friend is sending it to bgs or psa which one is better?. i think the fees for both are 70$ for the montana auto.

triplehattrick21
08-03-2009, 03:37 AM
my friend is sending it to bgs or psa which one is better?. i think the fees for both are 70$ for the montana auto.

If its seriously 70 bucks for fees. it would be almost pointless to get certified... IMO. The value will not go up that much to make it worth getting certified. They dont go that much more do they?

But for authentication... PSA i think is better. BGS is better for cards.

nbatoppspoker
08-03-2009, 03:49 AM
If its seriously 70 bucks for fees. it would be almost pointless to get certified... IMO. The value will not go up that much to make it worth getting certified. They dont go that much more do they?

But for authentication... PSA i think is better. BGS is better for cards.

my friend doesnt care about the money he just want to see if its real or fake,

Alfordron
08-03-2009, 09:13 AM
The three major authenticators are JSA, PSA and GAI. I would suggest getting online and find out which one is cheapest and send it there..From past experience, I would say it will probably be GAI.

neverfinished94
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
i would stick with either PSA or JSA.

Leafsfan1967
08-05-2009, 05:40 AM
One thing that each, and every one of you that doesn't really know the autograph business, or how it works needs to understand is something very important. Just because a company like PSA, or GAI for example says the autograph being authenticated by them is real, doesn't nescessarily mean it is. You are paying for an opinion by one of many employees of said company, who supposedly an expert in this field. They really have no clue as to whether it is real, or fake, actually. How could they be 100% certain unless they witnessed the actual signing themselves? Sure they would know more than the average person as to a signature's authenticity, but they can also be wrong, and have been more times than they'll ever admit to. Let's just say their records are less than spectacular. There are many bad stories out there about these companies, so if you wanted take the time to do some research, you could easily draw your own conclusions. Personally, I think it's all a crock of sheet. A pure money grab. Heck, I've been around the memoribilia business for dozens of years (mostly hockey) so feel free to send me $70, and I'll authenticate your hockey items for you. :boxing: I'm in no way an expert in this field, but I can tell you whether, or not a large amount of various hockey player autos are real, or not. If you've seen enough of them over, and over, you can pretty much tell by looking at them. If I can find the link, I will post the story done on TV about the guy who authenticated a ton of stuff that was later proven to all be fake stuff found in an FBI sting. They were all signed by an expert forger now in prison. Let's not forget the guy that authenticated auto'd Babe Ruth balls that were made dozens of years after his death. :ashamed0001: Maybe you heard of the story where JSA was at a show doing some on-site authentication, and to proove a point, a guy signed a player photo himself of an athlete who was also at the show doing an autograph session, and dropped it by the JSA booth to be authenticated by them. They never even looked at it, and gave it the thumbs up because well heck the actual player was only 100's of feet away doing a signing. To each their own, but I don't drink the 3rd party authentication Koolaid. It reminds me too much of the graded card money grab! :confused0024: Pay the extra money, and buy from reputable companies like Frozen Pond, AJ's, Steiner, Upper Deck etc. Don't be fooled by the real autos that are a fraction of the price on ebay. A COA is just a piece of paper that can be designed, or made up by anyone. The only thing that matters is the actual signature itself. Remember that! :winking0071: I still cringe every time someone posts a "Look at the Mantle signed ball I got off ebay for $20. It has a COA, and the seller guarantees it 100%, so it's real. He's only selling it because it's taking up too much space in his 10,000 ft mansion! " :sign0020:

Vegas
08-05-2009, 01:50 PM
I own a few Montana signed items and that sig looks dodgy to me. It may be a really early signature of his, but I've never seen a legit Montana auto that looks like that. Montana has his own hologram that he puts on signed items and he has also done signings for Upper Deck. I personally wouldn't buy a Montana item unless it had his hologram or was Upper Deck authenticated.

I have a high opinion of PSA/DNA and JSA and feel they provide a great service for the hobby. Are they perfect? Of course not, but they are the authorities in the industry and their opinion is widely accepted. However, I try to purchase items with COAs from Upper Deck, Mounted Memories, Steiner, etc whenever possible as they actually witness the signatures and have contracts with the athletes.

I just glanced around eBay and you can get some great Montana signed photos with his own hologram for around $100. So I would advise against spending $70 to get the photo in question authenticated as it would be a waste of money. If your friend wants a legit Montana signed photo, just have him buy one already authenticated by Joe's own hologram or Upper Deck.

Alfordron
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM

I don't know how this helps you any , but this is the card I was speaking of

http://www.geocities.com/ronniealford@sbcglobal.net/MontanaAuto.JPG

nbatoppspoker
08-11-2009, 03:55 AM
i just talked to my friend he told me that his coworker who gave him the montana auto used to be a photographer.

nbatoppspoker
08-13-2009, 11:48 PM
thanks for the opinion guys really appreciate it