PDA

View Full Version : Schmidt: Autograph craze is out of whack

iowa49erfan
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
He knows there are true collectors out there who have no intention of selling the free ones he might give out, but he also knows there are others simply looking to profit.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/baseball/mlb/wires/07/30/2010.ap.bbo.schmidt.sign.of.the.times.adv01.1086/

Very good article, take a chance to read if you can.

mmalpedo01
07-31-2009, 09:54 PM
Great article. Mike Schmidt happens to be my childhood idol and in thirty years, have never been able to obtain his autograph in person. I have been refused in the late 80s as a little kid and as an adult. I have had to pay for all of the autographs I own of him and that is pretty sad being that I am a true fan, like thousands of others. The little Mike in the crowd so to speak. I think Schmitty needs to chill out a bit. He said it himself.... He is making millions off of his autograph and the fact of the matter is that his autograph sells between 50 and 100 bucks because he doesn't sign for free. If he signed more frequently for nothing it would be in the 25 or 30 range like a Duke Snider and he wouldn't have so many people jumping out behind poles in the parking lot, telling lies as he puts it. I chalk Mike up to just another bitter old ball player. Not to mention I know a few people who live in his neighborhood in Florida and have heard he is not the most friendly guy.

neverfinished94
08-01-2009, 09:32 AM
nice read. thanks

Chuck-17
08-02-2009, 02:23 PM
That is a very good article.

Jeter+Arod Fan
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
He wrote this very very good. Nice read! Thanks for posting!

Vegas
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
I have to agree, he does sound a little bitter. Here he is, making millions off his signature and memorabilia, then complains about people seeking him out for autographs? And it's still a thrill to go to a show and have something signed by one of my childhood heros, even if I have to pay $50 or $100 for that experience. As a collector, it's worth my time and money, and a lot of other people must feel the same or else these shows and signings wouldn't exist.

I think Old Mike should shut his trap and be grateful that he still has a big following that has allowed him to live a lavish lifestyle after retiring from the game.