PDA

View Full Version : Jaw dropper!!!

propete23
01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Ok, so dont know if this is the best place for this but here goes...
I am a Realtor and through my time doing this job, I have been in some pretty prestigious properties. But, this takes the cake.

I got a call from a doctor looking to relocate to my area, and previewed some properties for him. One property had 11,000 sq ft. 2 carriage houses, and a pool, tennis court, and view of city to DIE FOR!!! Enough about the house.

So as we were touring the house, one will notice this and that and in this type of house there were some really impressive collections of paintings, antique toys, etc.

As we entered one of the kids rooms, I noticed he was a baseball card collector. Professionally, you try not to disturb anything and leave property the way you find it. Which I did. But, could not believe my eyes, when I saw some of the collection pieces this kid had!

1. Ryan Howard AUTHENTIC jersey, slung over the door that was autographed on the 6. Not framed, nothing!

2. Yankees baseball that looked like it had 20 years of dust on it. Just by looking at it, looked like Reggie jackson, billy martin, etc. Prob late 70's just laying on the table.

3. And this is the one that really floored me, a 1951 team lithograph of the Yankees, along with some sort of patch from a jersey. SIGNED BY THE WHOLE TEAM! It was just leaning on the floor with books, dirty laundry, etc. strewned all over the place!

As a father of 2, and I think I bring home a decent paycheck, couldnt believe that these items were just laying around like JUNK!!! Maybe I am being too critical, but wanted to know your thoughts...

BTW, the house was listed at 1.8 million dollars (which is quite pricey for my area)

Pete

Oxxon
01-10-2010, 01:30 AM
One persons junk is someone else's treasure.

They kid must not know or just does not care.

propete23
01-12-2010, 12:02 PM
I think he just doesnt care. But, who am I to judge

JVazz29
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
My father in-law took his nephew to a Mets game back in the late 60's...in New York. They sat in the front row along the right field foul line. Prior to the game starting, Tug McGraw (I think) was throwing around with the right fielder. An errant throw had the ball land right in front of the nephew. Well, a kid of six picks it up...souvenir!! Tug runs over and apologizes and pretty much admits he is too lazy to run to the dugout to get another one, sooo my father in-law makes the kid give it back. Tug gives him a smile and a "THANKS! I'll make it worth your while."

At the end of the first inning, Tug returns...with a new ball...SIGNED BY THE TEAM!

Kid is excited.

I mean, the kid is excited to have a ball. Cause the next time my father in-law saw the ball was about a week later being thrown and skidded across a driveway. Father in-law just about fainted.

JVazz29
01-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Buutttt,

Yeah, in your case, in what you saw....

Sickening. Maybe they are rich enough not to care, but I know that if it were my kid he would be getting a lesson in properly caring for your valuables. Even if he doesn't care, lesson needs to happen about taking care of your things, whether it is a ball signed by the 1977 Yankees or an IPod.

propete23
01-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Def. rich enough, dont know what the guy did for a living, but had sooo many antique toys around EVERYWHERE!!!

There was even a room on 3rd floor that had stock shelving full of toys that were not even displayed yet! Weird house, weirder family. I would have liked to meet them and say, can I have the items? Im sure they were throw away items in their minds.

Oh well, thanks for your feedback. As for teh baseball, I guess you are right, kids will be kids. Tossing a baseball around with other neighborhood kids is a memory we all will have forever. Oh yea, now its playing baseball online XBOX as their memories!