A Little Steelers Love For The Downtime
by, 04-12-2009 at 03:23 PM (1763 Views)
Well, things have slowed in the NFL world. The draft is still 2 weeks away, the hype of free agency has died down, the Steelers haters have finally stopped crying the blues over the Steelers winning another Lombardi Trophy. So I think it is time to put up some of my all-time favorite Steelers quotes and facts.
"It's like what they said about the raptor in Jurassic Park - one of us gets your attention, the other one gets you."
"We're coming from everywhere. We play with 15 guys in the huddle. We have guys parachuting from airplanes, fans coming from out of the stands to help us go after people."
"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you (edit) well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."
Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Induction
"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play."
FUNNIEST QUOTE I EVER READ
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there."
Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).
"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
And a few cool Steelers Facts:
- The Steelers are the only professional football team to have their logo on just one side of their helmet.
- #70 Ernie Stautner is the only jersey number ever retired by the Pittsburgh Steelers
- Jersey #8 was not worn from 1940 until Tommy Maddox wore it in 2001. Nobody knows why.
- In the Steelers 1974 Super Bowl season, Terry Bradshaw was not the teams leading passer.
- In 1959 NFL Commisioner Bert Bell died while attending a Steelers game.
- Tony Dungy - While playing for the Steelers in 1977 he intercepted a pass and threw an interception in the same game.
- In 1979 the NFL took away the Steelers 3rd round pick because they practiced in padded during training camp.