Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It the same for me when I go to card shows. If there is no price listed on the card, nine times out of ten I keep walking. If I do stop to ask how much the guy wants for the card, they usually reply, "How much are you willing to pay?" hoping I'll offer more than they want.

I'm not a big fan of haggling, but I will do it when necessary. I like to see a posted price because it tells me whether or not I'm going to be in the ballpark or if I'm wasting my time.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

Haggling does not entail "Make An Offer"

Haggling begins with an opening price by the seller, then is countered by the prospective buyer, and is part of most healthy sales banter. 90% of people that do business do not elicit an offer.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (23)
    Country

Haggling does not entail "Make An Offer"

Haggling begins with an opening price by the seller, then is countered by the prospective buyer, and is part of most healthy sales banter. 90% of people that do business do not elicit an offer.

I disagree. A lot of businesses work with someone offering a product or service and then accepting "blind" bids so they have an opportunity to pick what they like best without any influence (compared to "Whoa, good luck with those prices?", "Why are you higher than eBay?"). I know a lot of people who prefer BIN/BO over auctions (CnC will only do these) and many of them have asked eBay to consider adding an option for Best Offer with no BIN price.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I disagree. A lot of businesses work with someone offering a product or service and then accepting "blind" bids so they have an opportunity to pick what they like best without any influence (compared to "Whoa, good luck with those prices?", "Why are you higher than eBay?"). I know a lot of people who prefer BIN/BO over auctions (CnC will only do these) and many of them have asked eBay to consider adding an option for Best Offer with no BIN price.

90% of all sales in the World have an opening price, I was being discretely general. Every listing on eBay has an opening price, just because it has the words "Make an Offer", does make it become an opening offer by default, the price is still fore-front and paramount.

The only time an offer is close to being made is for a project whereby specific companies will tender a Bid. A bid however is a Bid, it's technically still not an offer.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Picking up on an earlier comment, perhaps the Mods would consider polling the Board members to see who would prefer that sellers of cards must post an asking price, to start the ball rolling. If the vast majority agree, that could become a Board rule...although I suspect the Board isn't a democracy but at least the Mods would get an idea of what most members want. If it turns out that the majority do want that stipulation, then that might enhance sales and everyone would win...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Picking up on an earlier comment, perhaps the Mods would consider polling the Board members to see who would prefer that sellers of cards must post an asking price, to start the ball rolling.

I am one who prefers to see an asking price, but I also see the potential difficulties in mandating asking prices. I am currently in the process of entering all of my RCs, inserts and Parallels into a database so I can offer them up for sale/trade. I have already entered 7,000+ cards and still have a long way to go. If I had to research, determine, and list a price for every one of those cards it would be an almost impossible task.

Also - card prices fluctuate regularly, and to maintain up-to-date prices on each of those cards would be daunting.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I skip over those threads as well because it would only take them a few seconds to list the price....

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Picking up on an earlier comment, perhaps the Mods would consider polling the Board members to see who would prefer that sellers of cards must post an asking price, to start the ball rolling. If the vast majority agree, that could become a Board rule...although I suspect the Board isn't a democracy but at least the Mods would get an idea of what most members want. If it turns out that the majority do want that stipulation, then that might enhance sales and everyone would win...

There are many people who feel that there are more than enough rules as it is. Staff have enough to do without looking through every single sale thread to ensure that people are putting prices on the threads.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

It's a subject that will never get solved to everyone's satisfaction...

Put a price on everything and sellers will get criticized for wanting too much or thinking their cards are made of gold. [plenty of threads like that]

Don't put a price and risk nobody contacting the seller because they 'have no clue what you want'. [just as many of those threads]

Which is right? Or maybe it's really just which way is less wrong? I tend to think there are more important things in life to get nutted up over.

For me, as a buyer, if I want a card, I want a card and I'm going to figure it out. Odds are that I, like many of you, know what the cards I want are 'worth'. Maybe I don't know what a particular card is worth to its owner, but I certainly know what it is worth to me. If no price is listed, I ask and then either accept or negotiate from there. If a price is listed, I either accept or negotiate. It's really not rocket science.

For me, as a seller, I list cards with their published book value. I know what I want for them and I know what I list them for on eBay (which is more than I typically sell for on forums). I also know 'most' of the relatively recent sales and usually have some historical sales data. If someone wants a card, they can ask for my price or make an offer based on the BV and we can negotiate from there. I don't negotiate in public and I don't negotiate against myself (sorry, no 'best' prices). If a 'potential' buyer wants to believe I don't know what I want, they can, as they say, 'pound sand'. I've been collecting for 30+ years and sold at my first card show over 20 years ago. I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over not getting contacted because someone on the internet can't send a PM to discuss a card they want... [please understand that I'm not directing this at any person]

I just can't see why it really matters...

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See railblaze's Items on eBay

IMO posting sale threads with no asking price is the same as running your sale as an auction, which I believe is prohibited here.

of course, mandating sale prices would just lead to people posting "10x book value, obo" and doing the exact same things they are doing now that tick off people like the OP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast