Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See montagna2006's Items on eBay

USPS ending delivery of first-class mail on Saturdays starting this August.

The U.S. Postal Service is discontinuing delivery of first-class mail on Saturdays by Aug. 1. That means mailers, letters and catalogs will only be delivered Mon-Fri, while Priority mail and packages will still be delivered six days per week.

Article here - http://politi.co/XNvvKz

Video here - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505266_1...o-slash-costs/

SCF Rewards
    Country

It looks like the States is catching up with Canada, on more than just the higher postal rates...I don't recall when we've ever had mail delivery here in Canada.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

It looks like the States is catching up with Canada, on more than just the higher postal rates...I don't recall when we've ever had mail delivery here in Canada.

... on weekends. I think that was what you were trying to say, and I am pretty sure we've never had.

I would be far more ticked off by the more-than-double price hike you guys just got gouged with. Ouch!

SCF Rewards
    Country

... on weekends. I think that was what you were trying to say, and I am pretty sure we've never had.

I would be far more ticked off by the more-than-double price hike you guys just got gouged with. Ouch!

I'd happily give them Wednesday off too if they didn't raise the price of 1st class International so much! The sad truth is the USPS is hemorrhaging money like they were beaned with a puck to the head. And it has a lot to do with our wonderful congress. First and foremost, the USPS is a victim of a shifting market which they did not adapt to. The USPS actually focused all it's attention on becoming more efficient and and cost-effective at delivering mail. They process approx 700 million pieces of mail a day and domestic mail is still very cheap. But the American public no longer really needs quick and cheap delivery of physical letters. Why even wait a day or two and spend any money when you can send information basically instantaneously for free.

It started in the 80s with faxing, but the big market shift began 15 years ago with the availability of free email to almost every citizen. Add the love affair with mobile devices, and texting and social media drive physical letters to be pretty much obsolete. Even relying on the mass mailings of commercial junk mail is less viable with the existance of GroupOn and FourSquare, etc. which electronically deliver tailored coupons by mobile device.

The USPS actually saw a sea change coming and attempted to diversify it's business by attempting to introduce automated bill payment and paper record storage services, both to the public and large government agencies. However, Congress, ended that plan early on in order for the post office to follow it's "mandate" that they pre-fund future retiree health benefits for the next 75 years and pay for it within a decade. This mandate is the biggest source of financial burden on the USPS, and it is being passed onto the taxpayer. Afterwards, Congress gave themselves raises and took off two weeks paid vacation for the winter holidays as reward for a job well done.

Incidentally, FedEx and UPS both diversified beyond strictly package delivery. FedEx bought Kinko's and UPS offers corporate transportation & logistical services. They did not have congress "helping" them meet a mandate.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Mail on weekend? Dont think ive ever seen it =P
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See thefiorecollection's Items on eBay

bummer, i love getting my mail saturdays =x thanks for the heads up.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Not a done deal, yet.

Congress has passed an appropriations bill every year for the past 30 years which included provisions that the USPS could not reduce delivery days. The Postmaster General is asking congress not to include that provision in the 2013 appropriations bill. The 2012 bill expires on March 27th.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Sapprules's Items on eBay

about time

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not a done deal, yet.

Congress has passed an appropriations bill every year for the past 30 years which included provisions that the USPS could not reduce delivery days. The Postmaster General is asking congress not to include that provision in the 2013 appropriations bill. The 2012 bill expires on March 27th.

So it seems. The USPS actually is supposed to get permission from Congress before making cuts to service, and it seems that several congressmen from rural states are oppose to the cutback. However, House Speaker John Boehner is all for implementing the plan. We may have an interesting vote yet.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See theofleury14's Items on eBay

I was always jealous of the US users on here that got packages on Saturday/6 days a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast